No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this is the problem -- if Twitter actually was banning objectionable world leaders, then fine. Let them be an arbitrator of which leaders are jacktwat liars and which ones aren't. Whatever. The problem is that when it's JUST PDJT and not Iran or China or Russia or god knows what other terrible country, then some people here look at that and it confirms pretty much everything they think about certain actors and their self-victimization notions that the playing field ain't level and, in fact, it seems damn near vertical.

So, meh. I think it's problematic.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• In fact the DOJ is already in the middle of an antitrust suit against Google. That has more to do with its dominance of the search engine market than app store stuff but still. The Tech Giants are on borrowed time. They've gotten too big, encompass too many areas.

Today, the Department of Justice — along with eleven state Attorneys General — filed a civil antitrust lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to stop Google from unlawfully maintaining monopolies through anticompetitive and exclusionary practices in the search and search advertising markets and to remedy the competitive harms. The participating state

Comment

• Yeah, when BOTH parties have reasons to come after you, then you're fucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          BTW, I have never once used Facebook Marketplace but people don't appreciate how huge that has become. It rivals EBay now and dwarfs Craigslist.
          I use marketplace. I've bought used appliances and sold a few items. It is much more transparent than Craigslist. Craigslist is anonymous, with marketplace you see the person who you are dealing with. There are fewer scammers and you are less likely to have troubles. The local Buy Sell and Trade groups are a good source too. Other than keeping up with family, it is about all Facebook is good for.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            ... I can tell you that they key word in Brandenburg is IMMINENT. Almost by defintion, Parler or Twitter is not speech that creates IMMINENT threats. What that means is, literally, standing in front of an angy mob and calling them to action. That's IMMINENT. Twitter is NOT....

You think that can realistically be argued in today's world? Anyone with a cellphone or tablet has instant access to such speech. Is there much difference between standing in the front of the crowd listening to the President incite a crowd and standing in the back of the crowd reading Parler inciting the same, both simultaneous?
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I don’t think Trump did anything overtly untoward when he called for his rally. To my knowledge he never said storm or occupy the Capitol. Is Trump on the hook when a “protest” goes bad? Because we had pols calling for and supporting “protests” this summer that spiraled wildly out of control. Hell, we even had Maxine Waters telling her constituents to actively harass Republican politicians.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Is Trump on the hook when a “protest” goes bad? Because we had pols calling for and supporting “protests” this summer that spiraled wildly out of control. Hell, we even had Maxine Waters telling her constituents to actively harass Republican politicians.
                One day I hope to understand the difference between the summer riots of 2020, and what happened at the Capitol. I've been told that one was peaceful protesting, and the other was sedition.

I'm sure The Party will explain it all to our satisfaction.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• AA - I'll give you that. But the question remains. In today's instant access world, is there much difference between electronic and verbalized speech? Not talking about emails, I mean not pre-moderated forum speech.

It might get into immediate audience. Verbalization is immediate area where who knows where electronic is being consumed. I can see instances where either electronic or verbal speech can have an impact on imminent events.
                  Last edited by Ghengis Jon; January 9, 2021, 10:52 AM.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    I don’t think Trump did anything overtly untoward when he called for his rally. To my knowledge he never said storm or occupy the Capitol. Is Trump on the hook when a “protest” goes bad? Because we had pols calling for and supporting “protests” this summer that spiraled wildly out of control. Hell, we even had Maxine Waters telling her constituents to actively harass Republican politicians.
                    I want to be careful and not blame him for literally everything that happens but Trump is good at walking his supporters up to a line and acting surprised and shocked and blameless when they jump over it. He's been saying for over two months that the election was stolen and that the American people are having their country taken from them. And then he points down the street and says the people responsible are right over there, what do all you patriots think about that? They're right over there, the totally evil people that hate you and want to steal this country. Why don't we pay them a visit?

He said he'd be going with them and instead, the liar that he is, returned to the WH.

And he wasn't the only person at the rally that used inflammatory language. Far from it. Giuliani for whatever reason said the time had come for "trial by combat".

Again, there's almost certainly no legal case to be made here. Trump can claim he never expected them to do anything more than write some stern letters and display colorful placards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post

You think that can realistically be argued in today's world? Anyone with a cellphone or tablet has instant access to such speech. Is there much difference between standing in the front of the crowd listening to the President incite a crowd and standing in the back of the crowd reading Parler inciting the same, both simultaneous?
                      Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        I don’t think Trump did anything overtly untoward when he called for his rally. To my knowledge he never said storm or occupy the Capitol. Is Trump on the hook when a “protest” goes bad? Because we had pols calling for and supporting “protests” this summer that spiraled wildly out of control. Hell, we even had Maxine Waters telling her constituents to actively harass Republican politicians.
                        Co-sign

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

One day I hope to understand the difference between the summer riots of 2020, and what happened at the Capitol. I've been told that one was peaceful protesting, and the other was sedition.

I'm sure The Party will explain it all to our satisfaction.

You're missing the common problem. The police failed to act appropriately in both instances. Both 'protester' groups were domestic terrorists that should have been mowed down without remorse. Where's the confusion?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post

You're missing the common problem. The police failed to act appropriately in both instances. Both 'protester' groups were domestic terrorists that should have been mowed down without remorse. Where's the confusion?
                            That's what you say, because you're an honorable man with sound judgment and good morals. I'd trust you with my last dollar.

The Party has not been saying what you say. In fact, The Party has encouraged rioting when it fits their purpose, which was the elimination of Donald Trump and his supporters. When rioting threatens them, and makes them uncomfortable, they want stern enforcement of law and order, and I doubt that any of them will be calling for the defunding of the DC police department.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Thanks for joining my pro-shoot ‘em platform, Jon!

Comment

• I have said this on multiple occasions --

Corporate America has been fully compromised.

aMIgwAE9pN.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X