No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NYT this morning has muted coverage of the pandemic. My take is that the pushback against the CDC's positions on holiday travel and gatherings as well as the pushback on a more local level for attempts by officials there to impose restrictions is having an impact. I see headlines stating that airports and airlines are statistically not drivers of the increased numbers of new COVID cases but Fauci warns that "large numbers of people in airports are going to cause us problems." It's disconnects like this that are behind pushback ..... and this is just one of many similar examples I could list.

TBF, the math supports an appropriate level of concern and, as DSL opines, you'd think this would precipitate some level of compliance with increased restrictions for the grater good. But, no, quite the opposite is occurring it appears. IMO, some of this is due to the contradictions that people well informed on the pandemic see involving the futility of half-assed, high social and economic cost mitigation measures that are in some cases, both costly and are significant inconveniences without significant PH benefit.

Beyond this are business owners who are generally incompliance with sensible mitigation measures they incorporated early on and continue in the current circumstance. These are working in a macro sense as generally, gyms, retail, sporting events and most restaurants/bars cannot be pointed too as sources of new infections. There are exceptions but the tendency is to find one crazy ass bar scene, take photos of unmasked and un-distanced party goers then generalize this behavior to all bars and all restaurants ..... thus, prompting calls to shut em' down. Officials under media pressure and for fear of appearing not to be doing something, oblige. It's stupid and responsible business owners know this and resist more restrictions ....... very appropriately, IMO.

Americans see this shit and rightly go fuck it. Some with inappropriate abandon and that kind of behavior punishes people like us who are generally doing our own risk assessments and acting appropriately and according to self-ascertained level of risk using the many tools out there to do that. So, I'm sanguine with where we are and what we'll experience over the next 90d. It's sad that people will die because of the fuck-it crowd, as small as I think it actually is but potentially devastating it can be. But, officials should come to grips with the reality of American culture and behavior. Stop with the dire consequences line that breeds fear that will be long lasting preventing a strong economic recovery. Worse this kind of fear mongering has great potential of precipitating unnecessary negative social outcomes.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      We'll always have fond memories of Major League II. So much superior to Major League 3: Back to the Minors, which I do not recognize as being a part of the Major League cinematic universe.

Comment

• In June, the WaPo ran an article about how young people "can" die from Covid. Anecdotal and brazenly fear-mongering. One of the worse pieces of "journalism" in this epidemic, including the egregious double-standard coverage of governors. The sole and obvious intention of the article was to scare. It remains entirely emblamatic of the Media's coverage of Covid. It's technically true in that young people "can" die from Covid, but, on another level, it's a grotesque lie.

People see this shit. The Media can control the narrative until enough people start to live the experience and come to understand how full of shit they are. The Media can control the narrative until they wholly and completely ignore gatherings of millions in the streets one week after chastizing groups of dozens gathering at statehouses. The Media can control the narrative until the preachy decision-makers are obviously shown that their rules are do as I say not as I do. The Media can control the narrative until they fete a governor of a State with massive deaths and annhilate governors of States with far few deaths because, well, one is a D and the others are Rs.
        Last edited by iam416; November 24, 2020, 09:17 AM.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• EFZ.

Look at the whack job governors now who are imposing limits on PRIVATE Thanksgiving get togethers...no more than 6 people...and ENCOURAGING neighbors to rat them out...WTF? Same governors who will without a doubt go to their own unmonitored functions with no concern...ala Nancy Pelosi at her hair salon...The "Let them eat cake" fucktwats are a large part of what drives what Talent is saying.

Hypocrisy on steroids.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• STFU, KYR and do as the experts say, Wiz.

Comment

• The problem, of course, is that the Media and the fear-mongers have cried wolf and cried wolf and cried wolf and now, when there might actually be cause for concern (DSL could certainly make the case), a lot of people don't want to listen. They don't want to be chumps...AGAIN (and again, and again).

There's aboslutely zero trust between half the people in this country and The Media, and what's worse, The Media has completely and totally earned that. PDJT's "fake news" bit only worked because people KNEW that was true.

Comment

• I think its more than half...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wiz - I'm glad to know you are officially in the recovered category. Stay well. And now lets get past this whole thing so your business can get back to normal. I still have it in my bucket list to take in a game at Lincoln, and while I'm there, I'd like to try the 8th best wings in Nebraska.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Lol...I'll take you on the grand tour of Lincoln buddy...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                      Lol...I'll take you on the grand tour of Lincoln buddy...
                      A trip to Hardee's and your preferred bail bondsman?

Comment

• Yes. And the Axe Murderers Hall of Fame Museum...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• thanksgiving-covid-cartoon.png?fit=715%2C500.png

Comment

• That IA-2 race is down to single-digit margin supposedly

Comment

• The Dow has punched through 30,000 and the NASDAQ is pretty much at a record high.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                The Dow has punched through 30,000 and the NASDAQ is pretty much at a record high.
                                Trump just held a 60 second "press conference" to announce this and then left immediately without taking any questions, lol

Comment

Working...
                                X