No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's no such thing as stealing a seat.

The seat you are likely referring to was filled with a risky or shady move, depending on your politics. McConnell rolled the dice with the Merrick Garland nomination, and hit a seven on the come out roll. He won. Had Hillary won, Garland would be in that seat today, and McConnel could have done nothing to stop it. In fact, I think he would have been confirmed with as many as 40 Republican votes. Same thing that happened with Kagan and Sotomoyor under Obama.

Further, there was no "stealing" of a seat, when you had Gorsuch replacing Scalia. Conservative for conservative. No net gain for anybody. If anyone was "stealing" a seat, it would have been Obama/Hillary.

No laws are being broken here. Its politics at its best or worst, depending on your beliefs. Trump happened to be President when the vacancy (ies) opened, and had a majority Senate to work with.

Chin up, though. President Kamala Harris will have as many as 3 justices to nominate, and when they pack the court with 3 more, she will nominate more justices than any president in history.

Wonderful days.

Last edited by lineygoblue; October 14, 2020, 10:06 AM.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• In the first of what is likely to be many LOL moments during Senate Dems questions today, "Senator" Cory Booker asked ACB if she was opposed to white supremacy.

Uh .... Cory?

The woman has adopted two children whose skin color is darker than yours.

I think its safe to say the question was unnecessary.

But, don't let that stop you from continuing to make a fool of yourself "senator" Booker. Just keep going.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Gotta make sure to address that White Supremacy boogeyman.

Comment

• I think it can be argued that Mitch stole a seat from the Ds but it was due more to electoral politics than the court (though the seat itself is a huge prize). That open seat helped drive conservative turnout in 2016 and considering the razor thin margin of Trump’s victory, probably tipped the scale.

And as far as expanding the court... Manchin just won reelection in 2018 so he will be there for the duration of Biden's term. He is the only D who voted to confirm Kavanaugh and one of only 3 to vote for Gorsuch. He ain't voting to pack the court and there are others who won't go along with it either. Hell, Biden might nominate Garland to replace Breyer which would actually move that seat slight to the right. The sky is not falling.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
            The seat you are likely referring to was filled with a risky or shady move, depending on your politics. McConnell rolled the dice with the Merrick Garland nomination, and hit a seven on the come out roll. He won. Had Hillary won, Garland would be in that seat today, and McConnel could have done nothing to stop it. In fact, I think he would have been confirmed with as many as 40 Republican votes. Same thing that happened with Kagan and Sotomoyor under Obama.
            People often lose sight of the fact that American politics is really all about negotatiting and compromizing. McConnell might have been an ass in holding up the Garland confirmation, but Obama could have, and should have, played hardball right back. Instead, he arrogantly assumed that Hillary would take care of it.

It's even funnier when you take into account that Goddess RBG was banking on the same thing when she should have retired.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
              There's no such thing as stealing a seat.

Further, there was no "stealing" of a seat, when you had Gorsuch replacing Scalia. Conservative for conservative. No net gain for anybody. If anyone was "stealing" a seat, it would have been Obama/Hillary.

No laws are being broken here. Its politics at its best or worst, depending on your beliefs. Trump happened to be President when the vacancy (ies) opened, and had a majority Senate to work with.

Chin up, though. President Kamala Harris will have as many as 3 justices to nominate, and when they pack the court with 3 more, she will nominate more justices than any president in history.

Wonderful days.
              So the answer is yes. It is.

Got it
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• peaceful-transition-of-power-president-political-cartoon.png?fit=715%2C500.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Tell your friend, no.
                  I call BS...he has no friends...
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• My dog likes me
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The Ds continued effort to absolutely redefine "court packing" to include, oh, I don't know, nominating a judge to fill an empty seat, is perhaps the most astounding thing to come out of these hearings. Their brazen willingness to just flat lie doesn't give me much comfort that the next 4 years are going to be matierally different.

A close 2nd is the hilarious notion that "sexual preference" is somehow a huge offensive no-no. Thank you, Woke Progs!

Third is how Harris just can't possibly handle ACB. Harris is so out of her depth that it's hilarious. Again, every time I see her I'm reminded of why the Ds rejected her en masse (despite desperately wanting her to be good). I don't know who will be the D nominee in 2024, but I hope to christ it's that amateur.

To be fair, most Senators are utterly out of their depth when actually trying to discuss the law with Supreme Court nominees. Even though many may be lawyers, they're not Senators because they're great lawyers or legal minds. The Supreme Court nominee, whether you agree or disagree with them, is, in fact, a great lawyer and legal mind. But, this notion that Harris would somehow wreck ACB was hilarious and gets funnier every time she opens her mouth.

I really liked working with Mike DeWine and think he's a great guy. I also think he has some really good political instincts. I do not think he's a great legal mind. Or anywhere close to it. And he was a Senator and Ohio Attorney General.
                      Last edited by iam416; October 14, 2020, 04:12 PM.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Harris v ACB

Talent v Wiz

Liney v His Whistle

crash v A Cogent Thought

DSL v A third grade math quiz
                        Last edited by THE_WIZARD_; October 14, 2020, 04:32 PM.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• There was some talk earlier about the The Villages in FL being a bellwether for the election. Vigo County Indiana (Terre Haute for non-Hoosiers) has voted for the candidate who has gone on to win the Presidency every time since 1888 except 1908 and 1952.

I wonder if some statistics freak has identified such single counties for each state. It might be a more interesting watch than the drivel we'll hear on tv until the projections are made.
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• shaddup
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• No.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Yes
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X