No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to be living in a cave without connection to the outside world to not recognize that as mobility and social interaction increased with easing of restrictions, the virus began infecting susceptible humans again. Different countries by region and state have experienced different growth rates but that is unimportant to the undeniable fact that you cannot control SARS-CoV-2 as in eradicate it through even the most stringent mitigation measures up to complete lock downs. We can't even sufficiently dampen its spread to the goal posts established by public health experts. That's a problem. The other undeniable problem is the data by which officials are measuring viral spread or disease burden are proving to be unreliable. This is particularly true in the US.

My point, for the last month at least, has been that here in the US, we are faced with a choice of continuing with mitigation measures that involve restricting social and economic activity, such restrictions producing marginal public health benefits while incurring significant costs, and approaching the virus in ways that stress managing outcomes in an essentially unrestricted economy and social circumstances. Here in the US, a better response to the pandemic involves focusing attention and resources on testing, tracing, medical management of hospitalized patients with COVID and protecting vulnerable populations - I'd define three levels of mitigation measures based on age: Americans over 80 at level three measures (the strictest), 56-79, level two and 55 and under level three (least restrictive).

You should know where I got those age breakouts if you've been reading my posts. I'm not pulling them out of my ass - various studies clearly show who is at risk of serious complications from C-19 by age and who isn't. Most aren't at risk yet we are applying the same irresponsibly designed and implemented restrictions across all age groups. What mitigation measures might be included in each level I mention above are debatable but you could develop a mechanism to tighten or ease them in each level based on local outcome data - some of that, e.g., hospital admission rates, ED visits for COVID like symptoms, represent hard data that has a long standing record of being accurate unlike the inaccuracy we are seeing in the data commonly being used to develop the PH response to the virus.

Right now, the process of imposing mitigation measures varies widely, is based on questionable data including new case #s, CFR, % positives - and accordingly, inappropriate measures implemented locally. That crazy process leads to some areas having no mitigation measures, people traveling unknowingly infected and unknowingly seeding the virus elsewhere where, heretofore the virus was not present. That's just one of the problems, although a big one, associated with the US's decentralized approach to battling the pandemic. There are many others too numerous to recount in this post that I've posted about previously. But make no mistake, the US is involved in a disastrous flailex facing an unprecedented PH crisis. It may be ameliorated with the introduction of a vaccine but if some leadership doesn't emerge at the federal or, at least at a regional level in the next 3 months, my concern is that important sectors of the economy will be irrevocably crushed. Social consequences will be immense if not our social fabric being unimaginably torn apart with long term impact.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 7, 2020, 07:43 AM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Don't worry Liney- Whitmer, and her sign puppet, will certainly make note of that in her next address. She'll just ignore the hospitalization numbers. That's just not backed up by science.

Comment

• Georgia school suspends high school student for posting a pic of a packed hallway on Twitter. Almost no one in the photo is wearing a mask. The school says it won't or can't enforce mask-wearing because that's a matter of personal choice (But it will still enforce the school's normal dress code in which particular hairstyles, tank tops, and shorts too far above the knee can earn you a suspension).

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...hallway-photos
        Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; August 7, 2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• The jobs numbers were, again, better than the experts predicted. We're still a long way from recovering all the lost jobs -- and July was certainly off the record-setting added jobs in June. But, we keep adding jobs.

However, I'm sure things are much worse than I can imagine.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Had forgotten all about this case...it was way back in February when the House lost. But they asked for an En Banc hearing and the full DC circuit ruled that the House CAN sue to enforce its subpoenas. In this case it was against Don McGahn. The only judges to dissent were the same two that blocked the House in the original ruling.

Comment

• With each passing day, I'm coming closer to the conclusion that neither side wants to win the presidency in November.

Joe can't speak a coherent sentence, is backing all sorts of far left ideas that will make everyone right of Bill Clinton angry, and is still waiting to see who the DNC tells him his running mate is.

Trump can't stop shooting himself in the foot with pretty much every word he says.

I think maybe both of them have seen the job, and decided they don't want it.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Had forgotten all about this case...it was way back in February when the House lost. But they asked for an En Banc hearing and the full DC circuit ruled that the House CAN sue to enforce its subpoenas. In this case it was against Don McGahn. The only judges to dissent were the same two that blocked the House in the original ruling.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...gahn-testimony
                And anybody cares about this, how?

Comment

• I care to the extent that it restores some power to congressional subpoenas. Not that it means they'll succeed against McGahn.

Comment

• Funny piece by Allahpundit on Trump's blatant religious pandering

Comment

• I1m4h72Twu.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        Funny piece by Allahpundit on Trump's blatant religious pandering

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpun...od-hurt-bible/
                        He learned to do that by watching Democrats over the past 70 years, as they pander to black churches for their endorsements and votes.

Reference: ANY funeral of a prominent black leader. Lewis' funeral was more politics than mourning, and had no religious value at all, but it was held in a church.

You can't pander any more than that.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Biden will VANDALIZE the HOLY SPIRIT!!!

Comment

• I must have missed the breathless reporting on the Sally Yates testimony. Actually, when I didn't see anything of that ilk I assumed that her testimony further highlighted how disgraceful the Russia Hoax was.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              I must have missed the breathless reporting on the Sally Yates testimony. Actually, when I didn't see anything of that ilk I assumed that her testimony further highlighted how disgraceful the Russia Hoax was.
                              Here's a summary from Trump-hating Jennifer Rubin!!! She says Yates blew up Republican conspiracy theories. Huh.

For contrast here's a FoxNews "media analyst" who says the media is of course covering up the BOMBSHELL NEWS that Yates said Comey WENT ROGUE

Former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday then-FBI Director James Comey went “rogue” when probing then-incoming national security adviser Michael Flynn in January 2017 – but anyone who relies on the evening newscasts of NBC, CBS or ABC may have missed it.  

Just in case you don't miss anything, here's the Trump DOJ's own internal review of those HIGHLY CRIMINAL and TOTALLY ILLEGAL FISA warrants. Conclusion: Nothing fatally wrong with any of them. Oh.

“The Department of Justice has completed its review of the 29 FISA applications that were the subject of preliminary findings by the DOJ Inspector General (OIG) in March 2020.  We are pleased that our review of these applications concluded that all contained sufficient basis for probable cause and uncovered only two material errors, neither of which invalidated the

Comment

• Can't wait for the conclusion of the Durham Investigation. Comey, McCabe, Clapper, Brennan, the two lovers, most of CNN, and Obama are ALL going to prison for their VERY ILLEGAL crimes!!! This is the WORST scandal in US history!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X