Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    .......can someone summarize the hospital/ICU issue — are people not getting proper service?
    I just posted a piece on another forum on this question. Admission criteria via the ED has to be strictly managed. If the throughput from ED bed to admission is done solely to clear out the ED one is going to see the problem that AZ appears to be having. I'd be looking at that along with curtailing all elective procedures that usually require post procedure hospitalization. Can hospitals surge? Most of them have surge plans or should. I don't know about AZ. The media has a tendency to not understand stuff like this and therefore just reports the circumstance in the context of a crisis.

My take on the question of proper service is this: once a patient is admitted that actually meets all the established criteria for admission and needs medical management that can only be provided through an inpatient hospital stay, I'd offer that the service is probably excellent and hospital intensivists and nurses are well informed on how to manage critically ill C-19 patients and get them off the critical list and onto the guarded list, then discharged.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It’ll be interesting to track. Arizona certainly seems problematic. I’m not sure what to make of California, Texas and Florida given their huge populations.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Here's my post on another forum in which I responded to a poster who opined (paraphrased) we won't get out of this mess until there is a vaccine.

After I mentioned how far along vaccines were I then argued that vaccines aren't the only solution to the mess we are in Therapeutics along with improved medical management of critically ill C-19 patients will more than likely be the first thing to demonstrate we can beat or at least manage C-19 ......

I'm putting my money on the hypothesis that while case numbers will rise, the percentage of those that will become seriously ill and require hospitalization will fall or remain about the same, C-19 patients will recover more quickly, and those admitted will have significantly fewer complications and be discharged sooner. IOW, the threat of overwhelmed HC systems, critical cases and deaths will decline. COVID-19 will produce less morbidity and mortality, and we'll learn to exist with the virus as we do with all the common cold producing coronavirus.

This does not mean, however, that health authorities and official public health policy makers will embrace this hypothesis. Things have already devolved into public health policy decisions based on political pressures and media hand-wringing rather than scientific and medically relevant facts. While this circumstance prevails, we have to hope that influential voices will resist the temptation to shutter again. I think it will take several months of increasing case numbers with decreasing regional disease burdens and decreasing deaths before the reality becomes obvious that C-19 can be managed at a reasonable cost without continuing to limit mobility and business activity. Vaccines will simply add value to that reality.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I actually agree with that entirely. Ergo, we’re fucked.

Comment

I actually agree with that entirely. Ergo, we’re fucked.
            Well, maybe not ......... in a crisis, reasonable Americans have historically pulled our asses out of it. I'm optimistic that culture cancelling and movements to eliminate law enforcement will abate as folks become collectively angered by this bull-shit and demand local authorities to end it.

I'm also optimistic that reasonable Americans within the medical and scientific community - and there are some and not just a few - will be in the ears of HC policymakers and while they may posture about returning to shuttering the economy and limiting mobility, it will be just talk with the intent to change the behaviors of the dumb asses I spoke of up thread. I think most governments have reconciled that whatever the costs of C-19 are, shutting down business activity is going to cost more.

Comment

• There are too few reasonable Americans now. If I were leading Russia or China, I would be popping some Dom.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• One of the best Paul Harvey monologues, this one about police. They've always been vilified while at the same time desperately needed.

"Policeman" by Paul Harvey done in the style of that wonderful SUPER BOWL commercial "God Made A Farmer" narrated by Paul Harvey. This is a tribute to the ma...

Comment

• I rather enjoyed this essay from on Coleman Hughes on BLM, it's importance and the lies its built on. https://www.city-journal.org/reflect...ots-and-police

At a minimium, I learned about Tony Timpa. The police knelt on his kneck for 13 minutes in Dallas. He died before the paramedics arrived. He was white. It's as hard to watch as you'd imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E...ature=youtu.be

But, these are the stories that never get told. Roughly 1000 people are killed by the police each year. The vast majority are justified. But, for the few that are not, white folks and black folks both get it. That's the way it goes and they both get deadly force at roughly the same rate (there's not much question AAs are "harrassed" more frequently).

But, there are more than 800,000 law enforcement officers in the United States. You're looking at eggregious conduct from an extremely small number. And he we are -- DEFUND AND ABOLISH.

Fortunately, it's a local decision. I wish Minneapolis well in ridding themselves of police. With no police to arrest people and charge people with crimes, I'm sure crime will drop. For my locality, I'll continue to vote for folks who want to have a PD.
                  Last edited by iam416; June 23, 2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Cogent yet lucid
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Your endorsement is unwanted and damaging. Please STFU.

Comment

• If we have no police departments, we'll have no crime, just like we'll have no covid if we don't have testing. Brilliant!!
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Correct. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to see it....

Comment

I rather enjoyed this essay from on Coleman Hughes on BLM, it's importance and the lies its built on. https://www.city-journal.org/reflect...ots-and-police

At a minimium, I learned about Tony Timpa. The police knelt on his kneck for 13 minutes in Dallas. He died before the paramedics arrived. He was white. It's as hard to watch as you'd imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E...ature=youtu.be

But, these are the stories that never get told. Roughly 1000 people are killed by the police each year. The vast majority are justified. But, for the few that are not, white folks and black folks both get it. That's the way it goes and they both get deadly force at roughly the same rate (there's not much question AAs are "harrassed" more frequently).

But, there are more than 800,000 law enforcement officers in the United States. You're looking at eggregious conduct from an extremely small number. And he we are -- DEFUND AND ABOLISH.

Fortunately, it's a local decision. I wish Minneapolis well in ridding themselves of police. With no police to arrest people and charge people with crimes, I'm sure crime will drop. For my locality, I'll continue to vote for folks who want to have a PD.
                            Per CDC statistics, if you are black man, you are still more likely to die of constipation than you are to get shot as an unarmed man by police.

Comment

• There has never been a narrative as profoundly powerful and false as the narrative that cops systemically pose a danger to unarmed black men. Our country is burning as a result of it.

Comment

• That is probably true. It's certainly powerful and false.

Comment

Working...
                                X