Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    Those sources have far less reach than the traditional huge Liberal sources, which have never honestly self-identified as being left of center.

Every time that George W. walked into a press conference, he was talking to a group of people who voted overwhelmingly for the other guy. He never adapted to it and he had absolutely no defensive instincts. Ditto for George Sr, Dole, McCain, and Romney. Republicans are sick and tired of being represented by Stockholm Syndrome punching bags.
    ...but he walking into a press conference in front of media sources that people don't have to consume. (And don't, if you look at their ratings, don't) How long as FNC been the top-rated cable news channel? Fifteen years? We are WAY past the times when people tuned into Walter Cronkite.

Its just an conservative whine that still sells...but sales are falling.
    Last edited by Wild Hoss; March 17, 2016, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      agree with this.. Many republicans I know feel the media is enemy #1. They are tired of seeing their candidate take it instead of saying that claim or label is not fair and here is why.
      Its what their conservative media sources have drummed into their heads for 20 years.

The irony....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
        ...but he walking into a press conference in front of media sources that people don't have to consume. (And don't, if you look at their ratings) How long as FNC been the top-rated cable news channel?.
        Fox news still adopts the Liberal narrative far more often than MSNBC adopts the Right Wing narrative. And not everyone gets their news from cable news. There are still newspapers, on line and print, as well as old network news. And those aren't the only media. Pop culture media sources (e.g. music, movies, and TV shows) are about 95% produced by Democrats. It can be argued that those sources are more influential than information sources. And then there's the overlap between pop culture and information -- personalities like John Oliver and John Stewart. Once again, entirely Left. That's why the media spent more time talking about George W. Bush's drunk driving arrest than they spent talking about Barack Obama's ties to The Weather Undergound, Bill Ayers, and Rev. Jeremiah Wright. That's also why Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama can get away with lying about the Libya embassy attack being a spontaneous event that arose from a youtube video. Remember that whopper -- when our country's leaders tried to blame free speech for a terrorist attack and went so far as to apologize for and disavow the video on the world stage? It got completely memory-holed.
        Last edited by Hannibal; March 17, 2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Fox news still adopts the Liberal narrative far more often than MSNBC adopts the Right Wing narrative. And not everyone gets their news from cable news. There are still newspapers, on line and print, as well as old network news. And those aren't the only media. Pop culture media sources (e.g. music, movies, and TV shows) are about 95% produced by Democrats. It can be argued that those sources are more influential than information sources. And then there's the overlap between pop culture and information -- personalities like John Oliver and John Stewart. Once again, entirely Left. That's why the media spent more time talking about George W. Bush's drunk driving arrest than they spent talking about Barack Obama's ties to The Weather Undergound, Bill Ayers, and Rev. Jeremiah Wright. That's also why Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama can get away with lying about the Libya embassy attack being a spontaneous event that arose from a youtube video. Remember that whopper -- when our country's leaders tried to blame free speech for a terrorist attack and went so far as to apologize for and disavow the video on the world stage? It got completely memory-holed.
          Not to get too sidetracked here, but I simply do not agree. There are scads and scads of conservative newspapers....the WSJ is the most-cited one in this forum for instance.

Hollywood is of course the next boogieman, but by and large it’s a fictional enemy as well. Its always interesting to see how foreigners view our films....you often hear them talk about the positive messages. How the Good Guys usually win, and virtuous values usually prevail. Hollywood doesn't makes billions by marketing products that people don't buy, and untold millions of conservatives aren't skipping movies and TV.

Just depends on whether you look at the whole...or individual examples which fit a narrative.

Comment

• Hanni:

I agree re anti-Media. I'd note that anti-Media/anti-PC are fundamentally people being sick of perceived double standards. Which is what I said at the outset. In this case, the perception is pretty close to reality, IMO. But setting that aside -- there's no question that sentiment runs through a number of Trump voters and there's no question it's a "fairness" issue.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Hoss -- if Trump gets the nomination, then let's revisit this issue in November. I know that I won't convince you re: the media, but I think that you will at least see what I mean when I talk about "Attack dog" vs. "Punching bag", narrative control, and the effectiveness at conveying the message.
              Last edited by Hannibal; March 17, 2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• George W. Bush got the benefit of the doubt. He was the compassionate conservative, he was on the charm offensive. He got his Bush tax cuts. The Liberal media gave him a fair shake when he argued the country into a senseless war in Iraq. The liberal media was enthralled with the shock and awe in Iraq and paid very little attention to the lack of any true evidence.

George W. Bush was a bad President. Trump gains a lot of points with primary voters when calls this out, all of the other candidates and Fox news carry on with the delusion that he was a good President.

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                  Its what their conservative media sources have drummed into their heads for 20 years.

The irony....

Number of conservative media sources vs liberal... Hmmm. And as mentioned above, informal news like the Daily Show and the View are mostly liberal.

You can disagree or deny, but most people would agree there is a left bias in the media.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by entropy; March 17, 2016, 11:31 AM.
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    George W. Bush got the benefit of the doubt. He was the compassionate conservative, he was on the charm offensive. He got his Bush tax cuts. The Liberal media gave him a fair shake when he argued the country into a senseless war in Iraq. The liberal media was enthralled with the shock and awe in Iraq and paid very little attention to the lack of any true evidence.

George W. Bush was a bad President. Trump gains a lot of points with primary voters when calls this out, all of the other candidates and Fox news carry on with the delusion that he was a good President.

After 9/11... Both parties were on the same page. I think that had a lot to do with it.

Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Number of conservative media sources vs liberal... Hmmm. And as mentioned above, informal news like the Daily Show and the View are mostly liberal.

You can disagree or deny, but most people would agree there is a left bias in the media.

What "most people" think and what is actually true are often not the same thing. More and more so it seems.

BTW, the right has its Daily Shows...Hannity, O'Reilly, Cavuto.
                      Last edited by Wild Hoss; March 17, 2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Hoss -- if Trump gets the nomination, then let's revisit this issue in November. I know that I won't convince you re: the media, but I think that you will at least see what I mean when I talk about "Attack dog" vs. "Punching bag", narrative control, and the effectiveness at conveying the message.
                        Certainly. But where is our focus to lie? CNN? FOX? The Detroit Free Press?

Sample is critical to empirical research.

Comment

he's certainly leveraged them to keep his name front and center.. he's become bama of the political race
                          Oooh...now we're getting nasty. :D

Comment

• 2/3 of Tuesday's Trump voters want Muslims banned from entering the US. "Only" 40% want all illegal immigrants deported without exceptions.

Reminds me that there was a poll sometime last year in North Carolina and around 40% of Republicans felt that the entire religion of Islam should be made illegal.

Comment

...And then there's the overlap between pop culture and information -- personalities like John Oliver and John Stewart. Once again, entirely Left.
                              I completely agree with the overlap. But entirely left? I saw those shows rip into absurdity and stupidity, not conservatism. I'm certainly not saying the Right has a monopoly on those traits, but the Right hasn't helped themselves by being ideology based rather then reality based. Maybe they should try at least a blend of the two. Then again, that doesn't make good sound bites for the echo chambers like Fox, Rush, Lavigne, etc.

Maybe the Left does the same but who knows, no one watches MSNBC.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

I disagree. For the 20th century, I wouldn't dispute that. Over the last 15 years, the media has had a huge slant to the Right. Even the former GOP chairman (the one prior to Pribus - can't think of his name) said there was no leftward media slant. But that message energizes conservative voters and gets them to the polls. Doesn't matter if its true nowadays, but it still works.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X