No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitley ..... what if consumers in receipt of any amount of money don't spend it because they are terrified to go into a store to buy something unless they absolutely need it. Travel, eating out, going on a cruise? No fucking way they'll say. At the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder they might pay their mortgage, their CCs or rent. Who benefits? The banks ..... that evil consortium that I'm pretty sure you don't hold in high regard.

For those like talent who are making big money and don't need it, do you think they are going to change their spending habits - and we know high tight fisted talent is - and buy new stuff? Go out and make a down-payment on the very practical for a large family, Ford Expedition, because Ford is feeding us bull shit like, "we're here for you and we are all in this together" and, "we'll make your first 4 payments for you."

Never mind that in buying something like that to stimulate the economy you just took on an 84 month, $52K car loan that that's going to contribute to those evil industrialists that are already being kept afloat by government loans and grants. Hell, no, the smart folks aren't going to take on debt in this uncertain time .....they are going to save it.

Voters like money and the Ds are going to give it away in the trillions to get votes this November and Trump is going to insist he's going to have his name on the checks that are disbursed, or like I did, get this letter from him telling me how great he is in his plan to give me the $2400 I didn't ask for and don't need (I donated the entire check to the Los Olas Restaurant Association in FTL to provide funds for restaurant workers to pay the bills and put food on the table for their kids).

Helicopter money will inevitably result in exactly what AA warns about with his reference to the Rial in Iran. I am opposed to anymore giveaways like this proposal represents. There are better ways for the government to get us through this. Suspending loan payments and paying the banks to do that, subsidizing big Pharma to provide needed medications like Insulin to the unemployed who have also lost health insurance benefits, a large increase in the earned income credit as the economy winds back up would help and encourages work instead of no work because people getting paid to not work is going to trump people getting paid to do something productive.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 8, 2020, 06:29 PM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Do I get the extra $2000 ($4000 if they include the missus) per month in addition to Social Security?

Dang, .. maybe I do need to be a democrat....
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• OK, I said I was done with graphs. Well, no, not after the BS media narrative that popped up today that is terrifying Americans into barricading themselves in their basements. These graphs are as of May 8th and from the left leaning if not extremely left leaning NYT, FGS. Even they can't escape the facts. I have to say that they are reporting and printing these graphs, making them available to readers free. That's good journalism and encouraging.

The important thing to see on these charts is that if you attach splines to them they are all pointing downward. I mentioned earlier today that all the numbers I'm watching that are tracking rates and trends, not the BS total case #s and Total Death's, are pointing downwards, people, D-O-W-N-W-A-R-D-S.

I'd like to see the X and Y axis expanded as the current display emphasizes the downward trends - that's fine but let's not be idiots here. An important factor to understand is that growth rates below 7% are considered to represent containment; below 3% represents movement towards control and eradication.

There is an unmistakable global pattern to downward trending COVID-19 data in almost all data trends. That is not true of total case #s or death - these are still rising. The trends, to one degree or another, are affected by each county's, each region's or State's, each Municipality's approach to the disease and reopening strategies. But that impact is not as significant on the trend as the natural course of this thing.

Atlanta Rates.JPG

Miami Rates.JPG
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 8, 2020, 06:14 PM.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• This is no big scandal or anything. But it's kind of crazy to me that that the AP got its hands on literal emails involving this high-level group of people. Someone pretty high up had to have leaked them.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — The decision to shelve detailed advice from the nation’s top disease control experts for reopening communities during the coronavirus pandemic came from the highest levels of the White House, according to internal government emails obtained by The Associated Press.

Comment

• Buchanan:

Part of the problem with the coverage is that you have soooooo many stats to choose from. As AlabamAlum once said, their are lies, Saban's lies and statistics. If you want to paint a gruesome picture then you stick to raw case/death numbers. If you want to show great improvement, then you look at growth rate.

For those like talent who are making big money and don't need it, do you think they are going to change their spending habits - and we know high tight fisted talent is - and buy new stuff? Go out and make a down-payment on the very practical for a large family, Ford Expedition, because Ford is feeding us bull shit like, "we're here for you and we are all in this together" and, "we'll make your first 4 payments for you."
            First, I'm no OP. No one is. Second, I qualified for the stimulus. Third, I'd qualify for the Harris gift. Fourth, I'm working and getting paid. Fifth, she'd still GIVE me $8000/mo. That's motherfucking insanity.

I'm all for targeted relief, but this helicopter money bullshit is fucking preposterous. But, hey, to quote Clay Davis, "I'll take any motherfucker's money if he's GIVIN' it away."
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• A blasphemy about Lord Saban and then redemption with a Clay Davis quote.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I’m a goddamn roller coaster. Buckle the fuck up!

Comment

• Jeff, I get what you're saying, but having a 1000% increase in deaths during the first week of the pandemic meant maybe 10-20 people died. Having just a 3% daily increase in deaths right NOW means 2300-2500 people died. At some point the absolute numbers take over.

Comment

• Former FoxNews snowflake beside himself with fury because toaster oven aisle at Target has been designated one way-only and they have hand sanitizer by the front door. COUNTRY DESTROYED.

EXiQAEZX0AUG5eb?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• Growth rates are always relevant. Absolute numbers are always relevant. Well, unless you’re describing testing. Then it has to be per capita to keep with narrative that US has done way less testing than, say, Germany.

In any event, if “absolute numbers take over” then let’s hunker down for next 18 months. It’s that simple.

Comment

• I guess that post pissed the living hell out of Mr Red State Erick Erickson because he went on a glorious tirade

EXiPIC9X0AgaNqd?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

EXiPIDAXYAAlwwZ?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• I’ll also note that when absolute numbers weren’t at all scary, growth rate was hyped because that was scary. The goalposts are whatever fuels the narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            Growth rates are always relevant. Absolute numbers are always relevant. Well, unless you’re describing testing. Then it has to be per capita to keep with narrative that US has done way less testing than, say, Germany.

In any event, if “absolute numbers take over” then let’s hunker down for next 18 months. It’s that simple.
                            Ok, perhaps "take over" is the wrong phrase but you know what I mean. Telling me 2% is a big improvement over 500% means a whole lot less when 2% translates to 2000 people dead and 500% translates to 10.

Comment

• You either win the coronavirus or you win starvation.

The goddamned Zimbabweans are still right.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Sure, but rates matter a great deal. And growth rates matter a great deal. I understand that a 0.5% CFR will be way worse in the US than in Belgium, but I’m waaaaay more concerned with the CFR than absolute deaths.

Comment

Working...
                                X