Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    13.9% today for Ohio. Deaths are going at a little higher rate, but that's to be expected as they will lag case growth.
    Question now becomes is that because of isolation (and if so how much?) or because there is not enough testing going on and there is a real backlog. One of the Detroit papers brought up that one lab has a backlog of 160k covid-19 tests.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I'm not sure if we'll be able to quantify how much. I'm not sure what testing looks like in Ohio relative to past weeks. I'm sure the cases are underreported, but if the underreporting has been constant then you can definitely take something from decrease in growth rate.

And, of course, there's no hiding from death and hospitalization rates. Deaths, 65 ==> 81 (24.6%). Hospitlizations 679 ==> 802 (18%). ICUs 222 ==> 260 (17%). Those numbers are fairly consistent with case growth rate from the time when you'd see new cases produce those respective events.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• One of the Detroit papers brought up that one lab has a backlog of 160k covid-19 tests.
        M is considerably worse off than Ohio. I'm sure Froot can explain the situation. My guess is a cluster in an dense area. But, whatever the reason, Ohio is, hopefully, at least a week behind M. Probably more.

Comment

• A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

M is considerably worse off than Ohio. I'm sure Froot can explain the situation. My guess is a cluster in an dense area. But, whatever the reason, Ohio is, hopefully, at least a week behind M. Probably more.
              I can't really tell you much on that, I do know that certain hospitals are getting hit first. Within the same system you might have a couple hospitals that have hardly seen a patient and other ones getting slammed, but it is starting to spread out. I know the testing lines have sort of fizzled out. I have a gut feeling any Metro area with a large international airport was slated to walk the plank first.

Comment

• That's part of the equation where I don't see how these shutdowns end earlier than expected. You don't want the CDC to have guidance on that right now because we don't have enough for the health care workers as it is, setting a guideline to wear masks in public will exacerbate the situation.

Comment

• Yep, froot. Absolutely.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

I can't really tell you much on that, I do know that certain hospitals are getting hit first. Within the same system you might have a couple hospitals that have hardly seen a patient and other ones getting slammed, but it is starting to spread out. I know the testing lines have sort of fizzled out. I have a gut feeling any Metro area with a large international airport was slated to walk the plank first.
                    Yeah, I've had a hunch that Detroit has gotten hit harder and earlier than Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati because your airport is both more of an international and domestic hub than any of ours.

Comment

• The place in Idaho with the most cases isn't Boise, like you'd might expect, but Blaine County, population 22,000. But it's also home to the famous Sun Valley ski resort. Better than 1 in every 100 people there has COVID-19 now and resources are stretched thin. Boise is a 2 and 1/2 hour drive away.

Comment

• Poltroon.

Comment

• Well, this forum is it's usual happy place. I get it.

talent, I think your math is decent in your posts. Brings the numbers we're dealing with into sensible focus. Appreciate the work.

The numbers though provide a look back to the prior day. My take is that using them to look forward is risky. I don't think I need to explain to anyone why. I've not checked them today. Probably won't be checking them anymore ...... just depressing and I find the predictive capability of them to be rife with potential for error - both wildly under and over-estimations.

I believe the medical situation is going to sort itself out in time. Unfortunately a long time. A lot of folks are going to die. I'm not sure counting them up is particularly useful as far as the public at large is concerned. As most of us have concluded, bringing the pandemic to heel is going to take wide spread availability of an effective vaccine or, hopefully, some unknown innovative measures.

I could see a combo strategy of impact minimization through application of known measures that are effective and innovation on all fronts that carry us through to a vaccine that prevents the majority of folks from developing fatal symptoms or an RX that succeeds in mitigating the severity of virus induced symptoms that lead to death. I'm definitely not in the end of civilized society scenario crowd. One way or the other, we're going to beat this thing. Nonetheless it is going to be costly in human and economic terms.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Having said that in my post above, the situations I'm watching closely are how unemployment benefits and small business loans are being handled given what both the Fed and Congress did.

Small sample size but I read Wiz's post with interest and his experience has been similar to restaurateurs I'm friends with or are talking casually to as we take our daily walk down Los Olas Blvd., the heart of Fort Lauderdale's restaurant business. Some remain open for carry out and they do have business, obviously a minuscule amount of their daily revenue before COVID-19.

Local banks, I have been told, are handling the loans through a streamlined SBA process. How quickly the money is disbursed remains to be seen. I'm also hearing that rent isn't being collected, power or gas isn't getting shut off and phone lines/wifi service continues.

Wait staff who have, by necessity, been laid off in these restaurants, I have been told, find it hard to get to the state level unemployment benefits web site to file a claim. Claims in FL can only be applied for on line ...... I just went to the web site and got all the way to the point of filing a claim so, unless the server crashes, which I have been told it does, when one fills out a claim, it should be doable. During his regular pressers on Tuesday, Desantis addressed this issue when it was brought up by someone in attendance. He said he has directed the various directors of unemployment offices to do what is necessary, including hiring more people to process claims, contracting for additional tech support of web sites, etc. We'll see. At least the issue is being addressed.

What I have not asked as it's none of my business, if restaurateurs are tapping into a separate source of loans designed to keep employees on the pay-roll. To my knowledge and in a very limited way, employees are being let go to fend for themselves accessing state UIBs - a separate pot of money.

My view is that in total, it's not going to be enough to get employees and business owners beyond the end of April, at best May 15th. So, and IMO, the calculus involving decisions that estimate the dollar value of lives and compares that with the dollar cost of economic collapse are going to have to be made. These ugly calculations are coming. The article linked below discusses this ...... it's pretty straight forward and without really making this conclusion, it clearly leans to the critical need to make the hard choices headed our way ...... IOW, there will be a cost to continuing strict limitations on movement leading to economic collapse that will outweigh the cost of lives lost through abandoning such limitations.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...nd-the-economy
                                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 2, 2020, 04:03 PM.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X