No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is an article about a supposed cluster of aerosol-based COVID infections.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Welcome to my world.

Comment

• Better to get the narrative out there, be dead wrong and never retract or correct than to get the story right. Whitmer deserves a lot of blame, too. But, the media swallows it whole with nary an ounce of examination because, well, it's the "kiss the ring" narrative. And it's perfect for them because all they have to do is quote Whitmer and they can get away with their trash reporting by simply saying they were just quoting her.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Talent:

hi

I watched the 2002 natty again...saw Terry Porter hand the trophy to Lord Tressel...I thought of you buddy...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• For those worried too much freedom is being handed over to the govt to control the pandemic, look at the power Hungary just gave Orban.

Comment

• Heh. That will end well.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• On aerisolization ........There's probably something to this anecdotal, small sample size situation with the choir. Gerneralizeable? No and that's because there are too many variables involved. Makes a scary good story though.

As a medical professional, this is what I know about the term. Contaminated aeresols are produced by medical procedures such as suctioning. Some invasive procedures and surgery are known to produce aeresolization in the OR or at bed-side. This is known and why PPE is worn when such procedures are undertaken ...... before COVID-19 and now with additional attention paid to the requirement to don PPE in a hospital setting with COVID-19.

I do think there is reason, however, to take care, as talent points out that he does when he's biking. It's the reason that I did not take part in two indoor spinning classes that went down with out disruption on March 15th and 16th in Fort Lauderdale before officially mandated restrictions on gatherings started showing up. Risk avoidance.

Does a person taking a walk and maintaining appropriate physical distancing need to worry about this? Is it a problem in your household, in grocery stores? Probably not because the probability of exposure to aerosolized particles (increased risk of exposure independently) is low in these settings.

I think both you and I can come up with places and circumstances we do want to avoid but these are limited to the ones that make sense when evaluating risk ...... you simply cannot reduce your risk of exposure and subsequent infection (all those steps I enumerated in a post above) to zero. But, in real terms, for you and your family members personally, in most settings the risk of becoming infected through aerosolized COVID-19 is low.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Welcome to my world.

The press is no better or worse than the president they're covering. When the president is deserving of less respect and tolerance normally reserved for child molesters, do you really expect the press to act much differently? Perhaps when we get a president worthy of the office then perhaps the press will write stuff worthy of publication.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    For those worried too much freedom is being handed over to the govt to control the pandemic, look at the power Hungary just gave Orban.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-decree-155476
                    Wan't Hungry the country that was going to wall off its borders to those fleeing from Greece?
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Here's a lift of disinfectants approved by the EPA.

EPA expects all products on List N to kill the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) when used according to the label directions.
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Anecdotally this seems to be the case in Metro Detroit.
                        People of color have many underlying health conditions that could make them vulnerable to health risks from coronavirus, experts said.

Comment

• I was glad to see a hopeful comment posted today by talent in this otherwise dark spot.

Right now those that are focusing on CFR, looking for positives/negatives, will find that as of today, CFR ranges from a high of 10% (Italy) to a low of < 0.25% (NZ). IMO, there's not a lot to take from this as we won't know an accurate figure for CFR until COVID-19 has passed, like in a year. I'm hopeful that we will come out of this. It will be in staggered ups and downs but we will come out of this.

On the economy? Not as hopeful. Because the world has never experienced anything like this with respect to the impact COVID-19 is having, it's difficult to predict economic outcomes. I thought Jon's post about his work/business situation was enlightening .... a window into how one company is looking forward.

On the hopeful side, it's also nice to see company's like Jon's stepping up and taking care of it's employees. I have a Wells Fargo mortgage. I got an email today that stated the bank will permit a moratorium on mortgage payments for 90d. I saw a sign in a closed Yeti (coolers) store that said the store was closed but nation wide, all employees were being kept on with pay and benefits. Nissan has a commercial running that current owners with car payments to Nissan can have those payments deferred for 90 days. Others will step up as government aid packages are realized.

Less hopefully, I've read plenty of stuff, some of it good, some of it trash - as one would expect in a crisis. But, I think we're in for a significant drop in business activity through the 3rd quarter. Employment will lag and unemployment numbers by country will remain relatively high. Consumer confidence/spending will also lag. I'm not in the group of economic pros who are there to blow sunshine out their asses and up mine. I'm actually skeptical that the available aid money needed by "small businesses," especially in the service sector, to survive isn't going to reach this critical group in time - government red-tape being what it unfortunately is.

Without employment, consumer confidence and spending, our service oriented global economy is going to remain sluggish - and globally it accounts for around 70% of GDP. In the US, only about 30% of GDP is produced by private goods producing industries. Global GDP will contract. For how long that will occur and how significant the contraction will be is unknown and, as I said, difficult to predict. Markets will remain volatile. Long term though, beyond the 3rd or maybe as long as the 4th before things improve, I'm very hopeful. Businesses should be and will be in the survival mode. Global, central bank monetary and fiscal policy will help survival but how much is again hard to predict. Whatever the outcome, global business is going to look different once economic contraction is reversed and expansion emerges. I'm thinking long term and in the 1-3y period. In that regard, I'm very hopeful.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• UAB is starting the lab rat testing phase of an inhaler vaccine. This is more promising than most. At least the computer models are.

Johnson and Johnson has a vaccine ready to trial as well.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                              UAB is starting the lab rat testing phase of an inhaler vaccine. This is more promising than most. At least the computer models are.

Johnson and Johnson has a vaccine ready to trial as well.
                              Links: https://www.uab.edu/news/research/it...-altimmune-inc

Johnson & Johnson said human testing of its experimental vaccine for the coronavirus will begin by September and it could be available for emergency use authorization in early 2021.

Comment

• Ahhh ..... more hopeful news. I like it. More please.

Comment

Working...
                                X