Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well-said.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• On US-China Trade.,,,,,, this is a very good article on the nitty gritty that is involved in the recent resumption of trade talks which have now been moved to Shanghai and will begin tomorrow. This is one of the sticking points:

Two sources briefed by senior-level Chinese negotiators ahead of the talks said China was still demanding that all US tariffs be removed as one of the conditions for a deal. Beijing is opposed to a phased withdrawal of duties, while US trade officials see tariff removal -- and the threat of reinstating them -- as leverage for enforcing any agreement.

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/china...0190729-p52btv

As I mentioned up thread, short term tariff's with identifiable objectives are generally seen by trade economists as a reasonable tool for countries to achieve overarching trade agreements between sovereign states. Long term they are not. I'm not certain what the definition of long and short term are so, this may be a sort-of useless risk/benefit analysis of the Trump administrations approach to trade with China.

I do not think that Trump's version of what is going on with China - US trade is reflective down to the nuts and bolts level of what is actually going on. News outlets seem to depend on sources who are way down the food chain. Not sure how accurate the picture is. Is china soft on some of the key issues or not? My sense is that they want a deal but are not willing to acquiesce on themes that involve how the Party regulates business activity in China. In the article above, you can read what those themes are.

I think that the US's negotiating team is capable and prepared to work with the Chinese negotiators on most everything that appeared on the table before the May blow-up at which time the US said the Chinese had reneged on initial agreements made by trade negotiators actually involved in them. Of course, the Chinese publicly denied that. Who knows where the truth lies but it is rather important where that is to any future agreements.

I've supported the Trump administration's trade policy and the tariffs that accompany them despite assertions by his opponents on those issues that the US has failed to use the international organizations (WTO) that have some levers to pull to address claims of unfair trade practices. But, I think time is also running out and some of the language coming out of DC the last few days seems to be preparing us to recognize the Chinese are in no hurry ..... mainly because since the Chinese appear to not like the hand they are playing with in relationship to Trump's hand they can pass and wait it out to see who is going to get elected next year. If something doesn't happen to restore a better free trade environment between China and the US by the end of this year - and that's not far off - nothing is going to happen and, if the markets tank, this will be a huge albatross around Trump;s neck. The prospect of that may be what drives Trump to cave on most of the demands he has made of the Chinese but still claim victory as hollow as that will likely be in this case.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Well-said.
        Thank you.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
            ...Stopping the flow of immigrants who have no chance of supporting themselves in the US without substantial assistance from the various state and federal programs that provide it is key......

What would your opinion be to the occasionally proposed reform that requires only US citizens (naturalized or US born) may apply for social stipends (ADC, unemployment, etc)?
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post

What would your opinion be to the occasionally proposed reform that requires only US citizens (naturalized or US born) may apply for social stipends (ADC, unemployment, etc)?
              I would support it. I think you would need a President, House and Senate in agreement on that approach to get legislation like that through. Don't have it now and, the way things are trending geopolitically in this country don't ever expect to get it so, whistling in the wind.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• If they are here legally and have permission to work while they wait to be naturalized, I don't see the problem with them receiving disability if they get hurt on the job or unemployment if they're laid off.

If they are here on a work VISA almost all of those are contingent on remaining employed with the company that sponsored you, so no.

Comment

• Comment

• Richard Burr, clearly exasperated, and who's got 3 more don't-give-a-fuck years to go, hits Trump's tweeting harder than I've probably seen from a Republican Senator

Comment

• Surprising comments from Hawley who's been starting to market himself as the next generation's Trump

Comment

• Comment

• Tom Barrack, a major Trump campaign figure and who would run the Trump Inaugural (currently under investigation) worked with Paul Manafort to use a backchannel to the Saudi & UAE governments.They wanted the Saudis and the UAE to give their approval to a energy speech Trump was going to give which emphasized America First!. The Gulf States sent back language changes and requested additions, some of which made it into the speech.

There's zero evidence Trump knew his speeches were being sent to foreign governments for review ahead of time, but that's what happened.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=64634140
                          Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; July 29, 2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• It is quite amazing how stupid he is

Comment

• In a snippet from Frida Ghitis, she highlights the sharp difference between having a President and having Donald Trump. No right, no left, just the essence of the beast.

In another time, the President of the United States might have called an urgent press conference on Monday morning -- making sure he could command the world's attention -- and issued a stern warning that violent repression of peaceful protesters is intolerable.

After all, what we saw this weekend in Moscow and Hong Kong were alarming signs that a wave of more brutal repression is looming. The regimes in Moscow and Beijing have sent notice that they are about to crush peaceful, popular movements. This should alarm the US president and produce an urgent response. Instead, President Donald Trump woke up Monday morning prepared to stoke racist sentiment across the United States, tweeting a new barrage of inflammatory messages against prominent African American figures in what has become a familiar pattern: racist tweets from the President, widespread condemnation by the public, doubling down by the President. Trump is making racism his trademark, spending his time energizing racists while decisively removing America from the moral high ground.

And what happens? The Cult of Trump mobilizes in his defense. President Marshall Applewhite is in his glory.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X