No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand why they can't squirt in a tiny bit of baking soda to bring up the pH.

Comment

• I think the problem is the pipes are now screwed.

Comment

• Even if the folks could bathe in the well water, that would relieve the pressure on the drinkable (bottled) water.

It has been well over a month since the crap hit the fan, and it seems to me that nothing has been done. They keep talking about long-term plans that include replacing the pipes, but $ 15 million is not enough. There is no one to sue because the government has immunity. A 100 foot deep 4" water well costs around $ 7,000. I've had one at my place for 40 years with no trouble. Why not drill a substantial well, pipe the water to a truck like they use for milk, and let people have enough to use for everything except drinking.

This seems to me to be such a sensible approach that I can't believe some private party doesn't step in and drill a dang well. If the water is as good as everywhere else in MI, then get on it and make the folks' lives tolerable and leave assigning blame until after the current emergency is ameliorated.

Comment

• I have heard many policys for both sides, but John Kasich is not messing around any Longer! Man has his #1 priority.

This is probably the best idea I have ever heard from a politician.

Kasich:

If I’m president, I am going to once and for all reunite Pink Floyd. “And since we have so much trouble in America with our finances, I’m going to (ask the band to) start with a little song they created called ‘Money.’” Kasich added, “We may be comfortably numb after New Hampshire.”

Comment

• Let Donald Trump donate $100M (Trumpian chump change). Demonstrate leadership, humanity, compassion, and generousity.

Then again, don't. Such an action might lead to the GOP nomination. Given the large segment of low info/low IQ voters in this country, it might almost give him the win over much disliked Hillary.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• You joke but he might consider it. He has that Lex Luthorian vibe to him.

Comment

• Jon, if you are referring to Trump donating to Flint, it wouldn't be the first time their votes were bought!

Comment

• AMEN TO THAT.

Comment

• Flint is a classic case of where it has voted 85% one way so long that the Reps don't care, and the Dems don't either. Hillary is coming to Flint before the Michigan primary. Wonderful optics. No plan.

and in other news:

Grand Rapids is the city where homebuyers can get the most bang for their buck right now, while seven Florida metro areas place in the top 20 of our ranking.

Comment

• I'm a huge fan of Grand Rapids. I was surprised to learn that they've had only Dem mayors since 1992.

Comment

• That's right, Mike. A good place to live and work. Dems in GR tend to be more the Mike Blumenthal type.

But, even GR has its infrastructure problems. We have a saying on the west side of the state that when it rains, shit happens in GR. That means that the sanitary sewer is so old that it overflows into the Grand River. Then there is a "no swim" warning for the cities down-river, meaning that Grand Haven and Spring Lake cannot use even their Lake MI beaches until the water clears. GR basically transfers some of its cost of growth to the downriver cities.

Mike, I figure you might be a teacher, and GR is a city where the value of a good school system really shows. A building lot in the Forest Hills district brings about $ 125,000.00, the same lot in Kentwood is $ 50,000.00 and that differential is virtually all about the school systems. It is not that Kentwood is bad, just that FH is good. Other excellent schools are East GR and Rockford. It has always seemed to me that schools should brag about their quality, and folks in the district should be told that the reputation of the school definitely affects their pocketbook.

Comment

• My wife grew up in GR. So did my Mom. Still have lots of relatives there. But if you are thinking of moving there you might not be prepared for the Dutch culture. It took me awhile to adjust after we were married there.

But they are really fine people. Lots of churches. CRCs and RCAs. The Dutch culture has diluted out in recent years but it was fully 33 percent when we were married. GR also has first rate hospitals. And the Dutch are hard workers, and they pay their bills.
                          All in all a first rate city.

Comment

• The Grand Rapids area is an area that is actually growing in Michigan.

The headquarters of the company I drive for is located there. They moved there from Flint. Doc is right about the dutch culture there. Holland Michigan, which is just southwest of GR, has the Holland Tulip Festival every year. Their high school band marches in wood shoes in the parade.

And, very conservative folk. That side of the state is responsible for electing John Engler and Rick Snyder as governor.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                              ...That side of the state is responsible for electing J*** E**** and Rick Snyder as governor....

NEVER utter that name in public. What a shitstain he was on the history of Michigan.

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              You joke but he might consider it. He has that Lex Luthorian vibe to him.

LOL. Lex Luthor with synthetic hair.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• GR is growing, as the article says, but GR is actually a city of 188,000 (2010 census). The metro area is exploding, and has a population of over a million.

Doc mentions the Dutch influence. Remember virtually the entire Dutch population chose to wear the "Juden star" when Hitler decreed that Jews were to wear a yellow star on their clothing. The GR metro area claims to have more places of worship per capita than any city in the world except Jerusalem. That, in turn, has led to the remarkable multicultural development of the area. This is a city that has said it intends to replace Rochester MN as a destination medical center.
                                Last edited by Da Geezer; February 7, 2016, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X