Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    I don't think it's the words, Doc, but the timing. Stan's been chasing WM around several threads, attacking in precisely the sort of way that turns people off -- nobody wants to have to scroll past an extended run of nastiness that spills over in to multiple threads. And in the midst of that, which linesman as moderator should have stopped, linesman complained about Stan's treatment of linesman specifically. That's ridiculous.

Doc I know that linesman draws a lot of respect around here, and in the past it has come from me too, but that's in the past. I think it's telling that one of the few spats that have come in this thread since we've opened it up was triggered by linesman.
    Here we go again ...

I'm not a fish, .. so I'm not biting on your trolling, Hack.

I'll leave this issue to the other Mods.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Let me know if there are any more problems.

Comment

• [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9JaTp7pFo&index=64&list=PLa4PU77Y31Z3JvK a3prpnhZj2D4n82bGF"]Charlie Brown - UGH! - YouTube[/ame]
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I'm not trolling, and don't consider this an ongoing issue. I pointed out the inconsistency -- when Stan attacked anyone other than you, you note that Stan's a hell of a nice guy in person, but when he attacks you he is asked to apologize -- and that's the end of it for me. I'm satisfied to point it out and be done with it. If I were trolling it would mean I would be looking for a response from you, linesman. I'm not.
          Last edited by hack; January 17, 2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
            As I understand it, the City of Detroit hit the City of Flint with a rather large rate increase for the water supply.

Flint is mired in a financial apocalypse that has been going on since the 70's. Its been so bad, an so corrupted by local politicians, that the state (i.e. Snyder) had to step in and provide an administrator, to make sure the bills got paid. When Detroit's edict came along, the administrator felt that Detroit was gouging Flint citizens for their water supply. So, the administrator decided to reinstate the old Flint water system, which drew water from the Flint River. This, it was felt, would avoid having to pay Detroit's outrageous demand, and save Flint residents money.

Well, as it turned out, the way Detroit treated its water, and the way the former Flint water system treated its water were different. The re-establishment of the Flint water system caused a chemical reaction in the pipes, which caused lead to be introduced into the system. Thus, here we are today.

Governor Snyder did not murder anyone. He did not sit in his office one day, and decide to have his "henchmen" poison Flint's water. An employee that he appointed made a decision to change the water supply, because of price gouging by the City of Detroit.

The problem now, will not be resolved by Cher calling for Governor Snyder to be assassinated, or former Davison resident Mike Moore showing off his toy handcuffs, and cardboard signs, demanding that Governor Snyder be arrested.

The problem now has to be resolved by people who have Flint's residents best interests at heart, and who will attack the problem and fix it. If that means digging up old pipes and replacing them, then so be it. Get started. Fix it. As I said before, this is akin to the Love Canal situation. Its going to cost a ton of money, and lots of time and work. Playing with toy handcuffs and cute hashtags, or demanding the murder of the Governor gets us nowhere. Fix the problem.

Then, tell the citizens of Flint to start electing leaders that have their best interests at heart, rather than serving their own interests.
            It seems like this post isn't sarcasm. Wow. Snyder should be in jail dude. So to save a few bucks, almost literally, they give them water that is worse than the Maumee River. Are you related to Snyder or something. This is worse than anything Kwame did.
            Last edited by The Oracle; January 17, 2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• I do find it interesting that when Husker and OSU fans dominated this thread, it was fine.. when it went to Michigan fans only topic...... well...

=)
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• "Then, tell the citizens of Flint to start electing leaders that have their best interests at heart, rather than serving their own interests."

It wasn't elected officials that created this problem Flint's elected officials voted to join the new regional water system being created.. The decision to switch to Flint River water and not properly treat it was made by an emergency city manager appointed by Snyder. The emergency city manager has the power of a czar and can override every decision made by elected officials that relate to the fiscal integrity of the city. In the end Snyder must take responsibility for not only creating this crisis but for allowing it to reach epidemic proportions.

Comment

• Citizens of Flint: ``Oh, ok. We'll just elect leaders that have our own best interests at heart from now on. We didn't think of that before. Great idea!''

Comment

• Hack, you'd be surprised how close to the truth that is. Then again, you might not be surprised.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• it would seem to me this is more about Snyder's slow response.. Detroit didn't help the situation and it sounds like some combinations of circumstances created an unexpected problem, but poor testing (imo) and lack of quick response has created a bigger crisis than necessary. again, jmo
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• "Flint targets water scofflaws despite tainted supply
                        Jim Lynch, The Detroit News 11:32 p.m. EST January 14, 2016

In a city where residents have feared the water coming from their taps for more than year and a half, an undisclosed number will soon be receiving shutoff notices for failing to pay for it.

Flint officials confirmed this week they will interrupt service for certain delinquent accounts despite the controversy surrounding lead contamination in the city’s water."

These are the lucky ones! Emergency management t its best!

Comment

• What a clusterfuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                            Hack, you'd be surprised how close to the truth that is. Then again, you might not be surprised.
                            They aim to elect corrupt incompetents?

Comment

• As usual, the political blame game is all about what matters. Jessie Jackson's and Micheal Moores circus is now in town to collect a check and move on.

A vote in 2013 by the Flint City Council approved a plan by Flint Mayor Dayne Walling to go with the KWA pipeline from Lake Huron for city drinking water. But that vote was not for a switch to the Flint River as primary source of drinking water.

Darnell Earley and 3 emergency managers were selected by Gov. Rick Snyder had ultimate say in how the city got its drinking water. A June 2013 resolution signed by Emergency Manager Ed Kurtz is the only documentation we've seen that points to who made the decision to switch to the Flint River.

Comment

• Last year at this time, Gov. Rick Snyder was boasting about the state’s financial accomplishments, toying with a presidential run, and delivering a State of the State address that said his administration would ensure all Michigan residents could be pulled along by Michigan's "river of opportunity.”

But as Snyder prepares to deliver his sixth State of the State address on Tuesday, his political capital has plummeted, the state is grappling with what could be a billion-dollar mistake with incalculable consequences for human lives, and his river analogy is particularly unfortunate in light of a state-appointed emergency manager’s 2014 decision to save money by temporarily drawing Flint’s drinking water from the polluted and corrosive Flint River. That move, followed by other state errors, has led to a public health crisis, allegations of a state government cover-up, and Saturday's declaration of a federal emergency in Flint by President Barack Obama.

Amid calls for his resignation, stunning vitriol directed at him through social media and protests planned outside his Ann Arbor home today and in front of the Capitol on Tuesday, Snyder will deliver one of the most closely watched State of the State addresses in Michigan history.

Comment

Working...
                                X