Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack:

Bureaucracy never seems to be able to meet their own aspirations.

A while ago I read a book called The Death of Common Sense in America by Phillip Howard. On these information forms, the purpose is to get information to others so they know what to report. It also is a good thing because if there is a discrepancy, you find out before filing your final return. So computerize the thing and make copies and send copies to the folks who are to get the forms. Easy, but not for the IRS because it means change.

My job basically consists of getting up and dealing with bureaucracies every day. Two days ago (the 2nd), a sheriff drove up to my place and served me a Small Claims suit from California. It involved under $ 1,000.00, and I have my cancelled check paying the bill. No problem in MI. In CA, no matter what the evidence, you must attend the SC hearing with no exception or you lose by default. I am not allowed an agent or representative to "plead" my case. I have three alternatives. I can pay the bill again. I can hire a lawyer and appeal the SC judgment to the Superior Court. That would cost at least $ 2,000. Or I can let the Plaintiff in the SC suit put a lien on my land which would show up at any closing of me selling the land (which is what I do).

So, owing to a rule by the bureaucracy, my best choice is to pay the bill twice. Only the rule that I must appear is relevant to my decision. I've called ( they are open to phone calls 3:30-6 on Tues and Thurs.) and I cannot do the hearing by phone, skype, or written response. The only two choices are default or pay. On appeal to the Superior Court, the finder of fact is the SC court, so I cannot even establish a record to appeal.

I'm screwed, and my lawyers in CA say so too. I cannot hire a lawyer to represent me in Small Claims and I'm not healthy enough to go. And this is due process?

Hack, this type of thing happens all the time. I rewrote the Michigan Lemon Law because the bureaucracy's interpretation of the original law required me to commit perjury to get back my 4% sales tax. But it took me substantial effort, and I just don't have the "juice" to fight that kind of thing any more.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; December 4, 2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• I think that applies to any organization once it gets past a certain size -- things get dysfunctional. True of government, private-sector, non-profit and absolutely anything else. I forget what classic business text it was but it pegged it at 10 people. Eleven and up and you start courting silliness.

My point about taxation is that digitization will be marketed as government being service-oriented and trying to make things easier, but the real long-game is funnelling all that information into databases that will give the taxman a broader view of where evasion is coming from and an easier time addressing that. You can't build a database off manual entry of tax records. That would be more costly than the rewards it would bring.

I, for one, am happy about this trend. I pay and don't cheat. I'd like to see the same true of all actors, and in particular multinationals.

Comment

• A business, no matter how large would never treat its "customers" like the bureaucracy consistently treated/treats me. They are a monopoly. More important, they exercise "police powers" and the government officials have governmental immunity for any of their actions. The government employees also have near-perpetual job security. One person has been fired for the VA scandal. If that were a private organization, it would have been bankrupted long ago.

Today I hired a fellow to paint an outside door in a home in Gaylord. $ 35.00 for the job, $ 130.00 for the permit. How does this protect the health, safety and welfare of people in N. Michigan?

I've never heard any rational person argue to not pay your taxes. But there is a difference between evasion and avoidance. The world is smaller now, and many more firms are multinational. I absolutely understand why companies move overseas to avoid taxes. If you are a US corporation doing business in Ireland, and you net $ 100,000, Ireland hits you for 17% ($ 17,000). When you bring money back to the US, your domicile, you pay another 35% of the remaining $ 87,000 ($ 29,050). And when the money is paid to the owners of the corporation it is hit at 25% to 39.5% assuming it is not QID. Just say 30% and that is another $ 16,185.

Total tax on that 100k is $ 62,235, so the owner of the corporation has $ 37,765 left. And this does not consider the other taxes foreign countries have like the VAT. If the money is left overseas, the company has $ 83,000. The US corporate tax of 35% is the highest in the world, but what the politicians do not ever say is that it is assessed on the remaining money after paying the overseas corporate tax. The US is the only major country to do that. It is fair to say that US corporations pay twice as high a rate on overseas earnings as companies domiciled in any other industrialized country.

Avoidance is not cheating. Unfortunately it is a rational reaction to the federal government's overreach.
        Last edited by Da Geezer; December 4, 2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• There's legal tax avoidance and there's illegal tax evasion. I can't blame the multinationals for the former, but I can and should get upset when I see that they pay a lower effective rate than I do despite being a greater user of shared resources. It's on government to fix it and to manage it wisely, and I hope they do. Of course I have my doubts that they will but reality is different from what's ideal.

Comment

• Thought this an interesting article. Suggests that engineers/scientists/doctors are the group most likely to become jihadis. They claim the 'engineering mindset' and religious extremism both believe in black-and-white thinking and a desire to create order out of a chaotic world.

The terrorists’ black and white worldview appeals to an ‘engineering mindset’, a study suggests. A broader education would give vulnerable students the tools to question authority

Comment

• I'm looking for a little 1st hand input for recommendations/aversions on compact/subcompact .40/.45s . Right now, I'm leaning toward a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I want an alternative to my current conceal piece. Experiences?
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Texas is going bowling
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I went out and tried the Ultra Carry II, fine tool, but it felt larger than my Beretta 85BB. Same for the Colt Defender. The PX Storm wasn't bad, but I'd kinda like a .45. I may just stick with what I have and buy a full frame Raptor. I'm treating myself to a toy this X-mas and I'm debating between fun vs practical.

I also use Hydra-Shoks. How does the little Ruger handle? Even though the muzzle velocity is a tad lower with the H-S, does the barrel rise much? Slower or quicker to align the 2nd shot than say a compact/medium frame?
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• OP

On that mini-revolver at the bottom of your post.

Wouldn't that trigger be extra sensitive? It looks like there is no space at all before it fires.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Yes Liney the trigger is very sensitive and there is no safety.

Here is how it works, the pistol remains folded in pistol grip and locked while in your pocket, tigger locked in stock, 100% unable to fire. Simply remove the pistol, slide the grip out, automatically locking in position to fire. Next, cock the hammer with your thumb, aim, pull trigger to fire.

As a semi-automatic, each time you discharge a round, the hammer automatically locks back, ready to fire again.

Essentially the cylinder holds up 5 rounds of .22 Magnum, you can fire each round as fast as you can pull the trigger in succession.
                      "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                        I went out and tried the Ultra Carry II, fine tool, but it felt larger than my Beretta 85BB. Same for the Colt Defender. The PX Storm wasn't bad, but I'd kinda like a .45. I may just stick with what I have and buy a full frame Raptor. I'm treating myself to a toy this X-mas and I'm debating between fun vs practical.

I also use Hydra-Shoks. How does the little Ruger handle? Even though the muzzle velocity is a tad lower with the H-S, does the barrel rise much? Slower or quicker to align the 2nd shot than say a compact/medium frame?
                        Yes John, if we lived in a civilized state, let's say Texas, we could open carry and I'd have a .45 cal on my hip, end of story.

Buy the full frame Raptor, I love my Grand Raptor II, love the engineering, next to ZERO recoil.

Yes, the LCP Ruger can be inaccurate if you rush your draw and aim sequence.

I think a Crimson Trace, red dot, fire is the only true remedy, with the larger calibers, I would be concerned with over penetration and collateral damage with civilians around.

Have you ever tried, the Beretta Ninety-two? I shoot the 9mm but they make a .40 cal S&W too.

Remarkable firearm, probably my best.

Comment

• I've had an FS for a long time, and like the 85BB, its a tack hammer with stock barrels. Amazing.

Not that I ever have, but have you shot a Dan Wesson, how does it stack up against your GRII?

Comment

• No Jon, I have never shot a Dan Wesson of Smith & Wesson, although his DW Silverback 1911 collection looks impressive and hovers at about 2K. Don't care for the CZ-USA connection, they aren't manufactured in the Czech Republic are they?

Was enamoured with WilsonCombat for a longtime, glad I never pulled the trigger on a few 1911's, 2-5K range. Kimber was just as impressive in terms of craftsmanship plus a better pedigree according to the pros, IMO.

Wilson Combat has been the innovator in custom pistols, long guns, and accessories since 1977. Home of the Wilson Combat 1911, EDC X9, WCP320, and more!
                            Last edited by Prime2; December 14, 2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Damn near every Republican candidate tonight complaining we don't spend nearly enough on our military. Here's a graph that visually demonstrates what we spend (our defense budget accounts for 37% of every nation on earth)

Comment

• There was so much stupid on that station tonight. And I'm far from political, but goddamn.

Comment

Working...
                                X