No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West was a conservative from FL who was a Col. in the Army. He had to get some info out of a captured Islamic fighter and made the mistake of threatening to kill him. Saved his troops, but got discharged from the Army.

I agree with you, and that should be no surprise if you've been paying attention. But why not increase the force of your argument with some facts? Overall, if you trigger someone's bullshit meter enough times, you're gonna end up fact-checked regularly. Not sure what else you'd expect.
    It doesn't surprise me in the least. And your constructive criticism about posting links is good too and I'll try to do more of that. Here is what the garbage district looks like, but my daughter says nothing can capture the smell.

And, of course, if you have been paying attention, you know I am against all tax write- offs for charitable deductions. You are quite right about the fundraising done by many 501(c)(3)s. The United Way after 9/11 is a good example. The best defense of this position that I know of is by Alan Keyes who ran against Obama for the Senate in IL (I think). That is one reason I believe that people who support a particular charity, particularly in 3rd world countries, should actually go and take part themselves in the mission of the charity.

I have three ministers in my family, and I constantly ask them if it is charity if you can write off 70% of the donation which was the effective income tax rate for much of my youth. It was also the estate/gift tax rate until relatively recently.

If charities are worthy, plenty of people will support them, and I believe find joy in the giving. If churches want to preach against, say, abortion, the leverage that the government has comes from the tax deductibility of the collections. My attitude is "Why grant the government that kind of power over you?" or maybe "If you lie down with dogs, you get fleas."

Comment

• Jon:

For balance, where is the criticism of the "insidious conservative totalitarian immoral infliction of unwanted cultural change" that fans the flames of Islamic radicalism?
      Hey, man, it is at least a better argument than global warming as the cause of Islamic Radicalism.

My question is "why do we need to be 'balanced' in our beliefs". I'd much rather talk to someone who has strong beliefs strongly held. But I also want that person to change their beliefs when good arguments are made. I remember clearly when DNA evidence showed that innocent people had been executed. I changed my position on capital punishment on the spot.

I also remember the last time Joe Biden ran for President. He proposed dividing Iraq into 3 regions, Sunni, Shia, and Kurd. The talking heads, even on MSNBC, toasted him. He looks pretty good now, doesn't he?

Comment

• I like the back and forth of idea/position discussions. I don't like echo chambers or broad brush painting. I do like balance because that's how well reasoned positions evolve. I no longer read the Nat'l Review, Time, New Republic, and that sort anymore because you get agendas. I like The Week, as they publish both sides of an issue, quoting sources, and don't take an actual position. I still read the WSJ for the rightwing POV and the Atlantic for the left. At least they back their POVs with facts instead of hyperbole.

I wish Biden would have ran. I can't stand Hillary or any of the clown-car repubs.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Yup. I agree Jon.

Read the last three days of this thread and I say, what a great country we live in! And what a remarkable tool the internet is, both for good and for evil. But in this forum, all good.

Comment

• I find hating everyone equally works well... [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Allen West is a Tea Party/FoxNews darling who served 2 years in Congress before he was voted out of office. He's still a favorite of conservative talk radio and one of about 5 black guys that conservatives will routinely cite as evidence that conservatism isn't just for "old angry white men"

Comment

• So... You're a fan..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• He's still a favorite of conservative talk radio and one of about 5 black guys that conservatives will routinely cite as evidence that conservatism isn't just for "old angry white men"
                  On behalf of "old angry white men" everywhere, I beg you to halt this insidious microaggression which leaves us no safe place to discuss politics on the internet!!

Comment

• I demand safe spaces everywhere and will create them by force if necessary!!

Comment

• If you guys don't straighten up...I'll...I'll...I'll tweet!!! And if that doesn't work, I'll facebook!!!
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• dear lord .. .don't let Jon start on facebook ...
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• God forgive us... We had no idea Jon would Join FB... We knew not what we did...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            I demand safe spaces everywhere and will create them by force if necessary!!

Best comment yet.

Comment

• Speaking of FB... My pages were full of people wanting or not wanting Syrian refugees. It's going to be a long week.

Comment

• So far none of the Paris attackers have turned out to be actual Syrian refugees

Comment

Working...
                                X