Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapture, crash-

Paul Ryan came out and backed Trey Gowdy over "Spygate" today. Tom Rooney, another Republican on the Intelligence Committee, went even further and attacked Trump for intentionally spreading things he knows aren't true.

Rep. Tom Rooney, a top Republican lawmaker on the House Intelligence Committee, is ripping President Donald Trump's unsupported claim that the FBI inserted a spy inside his campaign.

"What is the point of saying that there was a spy in the campaign when there was none?" Rooney said in an interview on Wednesday. "You know what I?m saying? It?s like, ?Lets create this thing to tweet about knowing that it?s not true.? ? Maybe it?s just to create more chaos but it doesn?t really help the case."

"Look, if you want to disagree with what we were briefed on and say that it was a spy? That?s fine, I guess. We would just disagree with that," he said. "And if that makes us RINOs because we have a different opinion about what the FBI was doing, then I guess we?re RINOs."

Comment

• Interesting Star Spangled Banner facts:

-The Star Spangled Banner was written as a poem called "The Defence of Fort M'Henry" by the lawyer and bad amatuer poet, Francis Scott Key, after watching the long-range back and forth between the Americans at Fort McHenry and the British on a ship near Baltmore during the War of 1812. The Brits shelled from a mile away or more. They were really never able to get closer and lost zero troops to American mortars. The Americans suffered a total of 4 casualties, but repelled the attack and the Brits left. An oversized flag that had been commissioned for $400 was flown after the victory.

-I don't want to say the battle of Fort McHenry was unimportant, because it was important. It kept the Brits out of that port, but it wasn't really an epic, well-remember affair outside of the anthem.

-The poem was later set to music. The tune it is sung to was written (ironically) by a Brit and was titled "To Anacreon in Heaven" for the Anacreontic Society (a gentleman's club in London where they got together every Wednesday and listened to music and drank to excess).

-The anthem was first played at a ballgame at the World Series in 1918. We were wrapping up WWI and in a flag-waving bit of jingoistic ferver decided to play it before the game. The tradition stuck. So, now it is played before virtually every college and professional ball game and other select sporting events in the country. It is curiously excluded from several other games and athletic matches, though.

And with that, "AA's Fun with Flags" is over.
      Last edited by AlabamAlum; June 6, 2018, 06:08 PM.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

-Because those misguided people assumed he was disrespecting the flag and the country and the heroes (and whatever else) and reacting to what they perceived as him "trashing America" - when instead, it was a peaceful protest against a leader.

-And is this you hating on Kaep? If so, I can respect that. His QBR killed my fantasy league hopes a few years back. Fuck Kaep. Not all kneelers are Kaep, though. Thank god.

-The playing of the national anthem at ball games started about a hundred years ago while we were at war. The thought that this caught on and and that kneeling means you hate America, but standing means you love America is the silliest fucking thing in the world. I think we need to play it at the grocery store, when we pump gas, when we play golf, and a million other times that make just as much sense.
        Wether they agree with him or not, because of WHAT they are doing, they are all lumped in to the statement

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color" -Kaepernick

Why? Because the second part of his statement was this

"there are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

so seeing them all take a knee because they think America's cops are out murdering people, they get lumped in with the first part. Like it or not.
        Last edited by Kapture1; June 6, 2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          Kapture, crash-

Paul Ryan came out and backed Trey Gowdy over "Spygate" today. Tom Rooney, another Republican on the Intelligence Committee, went even further and attacked Trump for intentionally spreading things he knows aren't true.

Rep. Tom Rooney, a top Republican lawmaker on the House Intelligence Committee, is ripping President Donald Trump's unsupported claim that the FBI inserted a spy inside his campaign.

"What is the point of saying that there was a spy in the campaign when there was none?" Rooney said in an interview on Wednesday. "You know what I?m saying? It?s like, ?Lets create this thing to tweet about knowing that it?s not true.? ? Maybe it?s just to create more chaos but it doesn?t really help the case."

"Look, if you want to disagree with what we were briefed on and say that it was a spy? That?s fine, I guess. We would just disagree with that," he said. "And if that makes us RINOs because we have a different opinion about what the FBI was doing, then I guess we?re RINOs."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-rooney-629550
          Anyone ask Ryan or Rooney why the FBI spies were reaching out to members of the Trump campaign before the start of the FBI investigation? Before the release from wikileaks of the DNC emails?

no?

Still waiting.

oh, btw, Halper reached out to Stephen Miller and invited him to the same meet at Page, but Miller didn't go. So much for the "fbi spy was just spying on shady characters" arguement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            The anthem is ultimately more a social/peer pressure experience than a spontaneous expression of love for your country.

The fact that virtually no one, certainly no one I've ever met, stands with heart over hand when the anthem plays on tv helps confirm this. People don't feel as compelled to stand when no one else is around...and if it's solely about undying love and honor and all that, it shouldn't matter if it's a live performance or on tv.
            You dont get goosebumps when you hear it? No? Just feel peer pressure?

typical #gentryprog

Comment

• Kaepture,

So, if the leader of the Aryan Nation says, "I stand for the anthem because the system it represents keeps the coloreds under heel," can we say that everyone who stands, whether they agree with him or not, can be lumped in with him because of WHAT they are doing?

That's rhetorical. But I bristle at the forced assumption that paints everyone who does the relatively benign act of kneeling with the same brush that you paint Kaep with because he has (imo mistakenly) swallowed the BLM pill of "cops are murdering blacks at an exponentially higher rate than whites."
              Last edited by AlabamAlum; June 6, 2018, 06:35 PM.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

You dont get goosebumps when you hear it? No? Just feel peer pressure?

typical #gentryprog
                Do you stand at home when you hear it? Or are you only a patriot in a crowd where others can see you?

Comment

• Second thought: scratch all of those questions, rhetorical or not. I am really done with the flag, Kaep, anthem debate. It has gone on too long.

Comment

Kaepture,

So, if the leader of the Aryan Nation says, "I stand for the anthem because the system it represents keeps the coloreds under heel," can we say that everyone who stands, whether they agree with him or not, can be lumped in with him because of WHAT they are doing?

That's rhetorical. But I bristle at the forced assumption that paints everyone who does the relatively benign act of kneeling with the same brush that you paint Kaep with because he has (imo mistakenly) swallowed the BLM pill of "cops are murdering blacks at an exponentially higher rate than blacks."
                    nice try, but not the same thing.
                    We're talking about football players following his specific lead in taking the same action for the same reasons.

i guess it would be similar if someone didn't give a shit about the anthem until they found out the leader of the aryan nation was into it lol. Which is no one.

if you're gonna do analogies do them right

Comment

Do you stand at home when you hear it? Or are you only a patriot in a crowd where others can see you?

all others PRESENT

PRESENT. PRESENT. figure out what that means.

Comment

Interesting Star Spangled Banner facts:

-The Star Spangled Banner was written as a poem called "The Defence of Fort M'Henry" by the lawyer and bad amatuer poet, Francis Scott Key, after watching the long-range back and forth between the Americans at Fort McHenry and the British on a ship near Baltmore during the War of 1812. The Brits shelled from a mile away or more. They were really never able to get closer and lost zero troops to American mortars. The Americans suffered a total of 4 casualties, but repelled the attack and the Brits left. An oversized flag that had been commissioned for $400 was flown after the victory.

-I don't want to say the battle of Fort McHenry was unimportant, because it was important. It kept the Brits out of that port, but it wasn't really an epic, well-remember affair outside of the anthem.

-The poem was later set to music. The tune it is sung to was written (ironically) by a Brit and was titled "To Anacreon in Heaven" for the Anacreontic Society (a gentleman's club in London where they got together every Wednesday and listened to music and drank to excess).

-The anthem was first played at a ballgame at the World Series in 1918. We were wrapping up WWI and in a flag-waving bit of jingoistic ferver decided to play it before the game. The tradition stuck. So, now it is played before virtually every college and professional ball game and other select sporting events in the country. It is curiously excluded from several other games and athletic matches, though.

And with that, "AA's Fun with Flags" is over.
                        Yeah, the last time this argument went on for a while, I noted that the anthem isn't played before other forms of mass entertainment like movies and concerts (which you mentioned today as well). There's really no reason WHY it should be done at sporting events other than "that's the way it's always been".

- Until 2009, NFL players stayed in the locker rooms for the anthem except during the Super Bowl. All those players of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's were some of the most vicious America-haters this country has ever known.

- The Star-Spangled Banner was officially made the 'national anthem' in 1931. For most of the 1800's, in fact, it wasn't the most popular "patriotic" song, perhaps in part because (truthfully) it's not an especially good tune. Hail, Columbia, Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean, Hail to the Chief, Yankee Doodle, The Battle Hymn of the Republic, Dixie, Battle Cry of Freedom, The Bonnie Blue Flag, etc. all had their time in the sun

Comment

• Yes, when the Anthem is played and you hear it, you are fucking present. Dumbass
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                            Yes, when the Anthem is played and you hear it, you are fucking present. Dumbass
                            at the event it's being played, clearly. dipshit

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

We're talking about football players following his specific lead in taking the same action for the same reasons.

if you're gonna do analogies do them right
                              No. I am talking about lumping everyone's motives in a fluid social movement or protest into one group because of the statement from one of the people in that group - especially when we are talking about the benign act of standing or kneeling. I think it reasonable that many of the people did it strictly to support a teammate. Hell, I would do it because I am a contrarian and do not like forced exhibitions of patriotic or religious social conformity.

If you are are gonna critique analogies - bad or not- try to understand the point of the author.

Now,

The 5 best chicken chains:

1. Popeyes. No debate here will be allowed.

2. Cane's

3. Zaxby's

4. KFC

5. Church's

Comment

Second thought: scratch all of those questions, rhetorical or not. I am really done with the flag, Kaep, anthem debate. It has gone on too long.
                                I am sorely disappointed in you. Your posts in response to the flag, Kaep anthem non-sense from Kapture and Crash is definitely some of your best work to date. Well, that and talk of your Scottish heritage.

Bristle on.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X