No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN is focused on the live events, they just cost way too much. All of the layoffs of their personalities doesn't amount to much compared to rights fees.

BTN is going to have the same issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      ...$600+ Million of revenue losses from cable carriage of their programming, they have signed deals over the last 4 years that are going to cost them $2.8 Billion...
      Looks like Fox and ABC did well to let ESPN 'outbid' them. Why try and stab them (business-wise) with better programming at a cheaper cost when you know they'll cut their own throats with outrageous self inflicted liabilities?

It might get real interesting for cable and sports carriers in a couple of months. If the market tanks in January (post Dec interest rate hike) like many are expecting, all those revenue projections go out the window. Bloated contracts are going to get broken. What was it, 2009, 2010 when GM pulled out of Super Bowl advertising? GM!! Alot of business entities that rely on projected income could get pounded.
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        ESPN is focused on the live events, they just cost way too much. All of the layoffs of their personalities doesn't amount to much compared to rights fees.

BTN is going to have the same issue.

Last time I looked at their programming there were fewer live games than editorial episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• They have the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football, College Football. Their problems stem mostly from the rights fees. While you may not like the editorials and drek like First Take, that gets them ratings. They are making a lot of money off of guys like Screaming A Smith and Skip Bayless

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
            Looks like Fox and ABC did well to let ESPN 'outbid' them. Why try and stab them (business-wise) with better programming at a cheaper cost when you know they'll cut their own throats with outrageous self inflicted liabilities?

It might get real interesting for cable and sports carriers in a couple of months. If the market tanks in January (post Dec interest rate hike) like many are expecting, all those revenue projections go out the window. Bloated contracts are going to get broken. What was it, 2009, 2010 when GM pulled out of Super Bowl advertising? GM!! Alot of business entities that rely on projected income could get pounded.
            ABC = ESPN

ESPN is full of arrogant assholes but Fox shows it's a not-ready-for-prime-time organization yet again with its fiasco broadcasting the World Series tonight. How the hell do you lose the feed to the WS in this day and age? For God's sake, they were practically reduced to reading telegram updates of the game in the studio. Some of you keep claiming they will take ESPN down. I say their production values are shitty and half-assed. Tonight demonstrated that once again.

Comment

• I blame it on Kansas City being in the World Series. Again.

Comment

• For God's sake, they were practically reduced to reading telegram updates of the game in the studio

Morse Code- Yea how frustrating was that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I blame it on Kansas City being in the World Series. Again.
                  heh
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• They didn't have long enough extension cords to run out to whatever cow pasture their trucks were in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      ABC = ESPN

ESPN is full of arrogant assholes but Fox shows it's a not-ready-for-prime-time organization yet again with its fiasco broadcasting the World Series tonight. How the hell do you lose the feed to the WS in this day and age? For God's sake, they were practically reduced to reading telegram updates of the game in the studio. Some of you keep claiming they will take ESPN down. I say their production values are shitty and half-assed. Tonight demonstrated that once again.
                      Never understood the "production values" criticism with Fox. Their HD picture isn't worse. Their on-screen graphics aren't worse. There's nothing annoying about a Fox broadcast unless you don't like Gus Johnson.

Comment

• Their picture is inferior to CBS. At least on tvs i've watched. Their graphics and music are lifted straight from NFL sundays. And yes, I think their graphics are inferior to ESPN. The studios shows are mainly unwatchable.

Comment

• Anyone interested in cybersecurity, encryption of email and data, the horrific reach of the NSA, and a company thats going to make a ton of money, should pick up the Oct 1st edition of Fortune magazine. Its the story about the 30 something founder of Virtru, a company dedicated to encryption. An NSA super computer geek, doing everything from building virtual systems to being sent to Iraq to capture terrorists, he became appalled at our gov't illegal surveillence programs. Rather than leak like Snowden, he quit and formed a company dedicated to protecting data, emails, and thwarting snooping. And you can get the email protection for free - works on everything- google, gmail, yahoo, etc.

Its a great story, The Anti-Hacker. Fortune still has last month's issue on the website, but its on page 88 for all you paper edition readers. Something for everyone, the uber conservatives, privacy stalwarts, and liberaltarians. Good stuff and completely off topic.
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Link?
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              Never understood the "production values" criticism with Fox. Their HD picture isn't worse. Their on-screen graphics aren't worse. There's nothing annoying about a Fox broadcast unless you don't like Gus Johnson.
                              Gus Johnson detracts for sure, but the problem I have with FOX is the way they produce the broadcast. They remind me of a bad concert video that cuts quickly from instrument to instrument in an effort to create a false sense of excitement and drama. They use too many immediate cuts to the fans in the stands or the band or some kids parents etc, etc, following a play, sometimes missing actual game action in their hurry to create a story or embellish a game that easily stands on its own. Shots are too close up to actually see the football game, close up shots of footballs flying through the air do not add to the game, but FOX loves them.

FOX seems to be trying just a little too hard. I cringe when I see that a marquee game is on FOX. The game may be fantastic, but my viewing experience is not.

Oh yeah, and Screamin' Gus Johnson should be buried under a big rock.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Gus is the best. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X