No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest goal scorer in the world will not make it to Sochi, bone still not 100%.

TAMPA, Fla. -- Steven Stamkos will not play for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics after tests revealed Wednesday that his broken right leg is not completely healed.

Tampa Bay Lightning doctors said they couldn't clear him to play after examining his most recent CT scan and will re-evaluate his condition again in two to three weeks.

It's a big blow for the 23-year-old, who had been optimistic earlier this week that he might be able to play by as soon as Saturday.

"Today is obviously very disappointing for me," Stamkos said in a release. "I honestly believe that we did everything possible in order to have my injured leg ready in time for the Olympics, but I realize you can't force healing. I know, in the best interest of my long-term health, I cannot represent Canada in Sochi, as much as I would like to."

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, who is also Team Canada's executive director, said Stamkos "should not be participating in game action at any time in the near future."

"Although the doctor was very pleased to this point with the healing process, he explained that the callus surrounding the fracture site is not 100 per cent consolidated, and Steven will not be cleared to play in a game until that happens," said Yzerman. "It was a pretty clear-cut decision, no grey areas at all."

Hockey Canada did not immediately announce a replacement for Stamkos, though Claude Giroux, Lightning teammate Marty St. Louis and James Neal figured to be the leading candidates.

NHL players are set to leave Sunday and arrive in Sochi on Monday. Canada's first game is Feb. 13.

Stamkos suffered the injury Nov. 11 and hasn't played since. He underwent surgery to have a titanium rod inserted into the tibia.

Stamkos has missed 39 regular-season games.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
      US officials have said that if the competitors were forced to evacuate they would be more likely to leave by either commercial flights or on planes chartered by the State Department.
      Good job of taking care of one of the most important symbols of US power and influence worldwide.

Make no mistake about it. The Olympics area all about that sort of thing. I'm not surprised the current administration appears to not understand this ......

..... and I'm a bigger liberal in my later years than I ever thought I'd be. Nod in your direction, Doc Hodgeman.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• If YOU are to the left, I'm off the f*cking page! :-)

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• stan.. you should be in an institute.. =)
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• latest news on twitter this morning... russians have cameras in bathrooms and showers

Comment

• cnn reporters paid for their rooms... 3 days in fact, left to travel the country side for a day and came back to their rooms being occupied.. they still had the room keys.

lol

Comment

• ...and I'm a bigger liberal in my later years than I ever thought I'd be. Nod in your direction, Doc Hodgeman.

Heh. I think I began my switch away from right wing politics when I was about your age Jeff.

Comment

• Commie..

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      stan.. you should be in an institute.. =)
                      did you mean institution?

;-)

Comment

• Maybe he meant the Smithsonian.

Comment

• Stan the Irate Dinosaur was just too much, so this guy ended up with the job:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1vH2rjUshk"]Michigan J. Frog - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                            did you mean institution?

;-)
                            LOL...

didn't think of that.... but that would work as well...

I was thinking more of a think tank..

Comment

• SEC asks ESPN to help promote its basketball better...help improve its attendance...and help sell its shitty product to as many people as possible

For the second straight year, SEC could finish with lowest average crowd since 1986-87. Alabama, Tennessee, Missouri and Vanderbilt have double-digit percentage decreases in attendance from last year at this time.

Comment

• The SEC is also interested in possibly creating unique content from ESPN at arenas. For example, Whitworth said he could imagine ESPN analyst Bobby Knight conducting a "chalk talk" just for fans at the arena for a game he's broadcasting.

I could imagine this too! What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Working...
                                X