No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neither R nor D seem to care much about this: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/w...rn-christians/
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• On the subject of #altfacts, the progressive anti-Gorsuch campaign is must follow stuff!

Comment

• On the subject of "facts" and presentation of "facts" -- see, e.g., "Muslim Ban!" vs " Ban On Immigration From Only 7 Statutorily-Defined Countries" ...

...Congress passed a bill doing away with a regulation concerning background checks -- if you read the headlines, it's "Congress Votes to End Background Checks for people with Severe Mental Illness" (Thanks, CNN!). I'm sure you'd also find quick mention of the nefarious NRA pulling the strings...What you'd almost certainly not get as an actual explanation of the regulation and why THE ACLU joined with the NRA in asked that it be nixed: https://waysandmeans.house.gov/wp-co...17/01/ACLU.pdf

For those interested, the rule, in a nutshell from the American Association of People with Disabilities:

This rule would require the Social Security Administration to forward the names of all Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit recipients who use a representative payee to help manage their benefits due to a mental impairment to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
        As I understand it, the Rule means that one who is incapable of managing one?s finances is, by definition, to be a ?mental defective" and thus unable to own a gun.

Rs GIVE GUNS TO MENTALLY ILL!
        Last edited by iam416; February 3, 2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Neither R nor D seem to care much about this: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/w...rn-christians/
          This is an old and ongoing conflict that predates even the arrival of Christianity in the region. I've been up around there a few times, and apart from the reality that no outsider cares at all what happens up there to anyone of any religion, one thing I can say is that the missionaries are a huge part of the problem. You can't pull out your camera up there and snap a picture of something, even if you've tipped somebody more money than they make in a week, because most of the white people they see with cameras are missionaries.

Missionaries are a big problem in this world. Even the ones that really just want to go help. So are the Islamic expansionists.

Comment

• Well, they're systematically killing off folks of a certain religion. I think that's awful.

One can apportion blame to the missionaries if they wish - it reads to me like you do, but I'll 100% blame the muslims doing the religious cleansing.
            Last edited by iam416; February 3, 2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• That is a superficial understanding of what is going on, based on a story that commits sins of omission. If you want to know, I can offer some links.

Comment

• I should also say, I don't know what happens in the majority christian areas of Nigeria. Perhaps they're doing the same thing. If they are, I'd certainly levy the same 100% blame on them.

Comment

• Sure, provide all the links you want.

Comment

• They did during the Biafran War in the 1960s, and conflict between herdsmen and farmers over land use is common across Africa. When seminomadic Muslim cattle people come through, they hope to have their cattle feed on the leftovers of harvested fields, and sometimes that goes well and sometimes it doesn't. Poorly behaved nomads leads to loss of access. In this case accusations of cattle feeding too early, and nomads raping village girls, led to a loss of access. Anyways, here's a piece from the Guardian to balance out the Spectator: https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...igeria-farmers. So those add to the set of explanations. Balanced non-media here: https://www.trackingterrorism.org/gr...rdsmen-nigeria, amongst other places.

Two more factors I would add: one is that religion is big business. Nigeria's market for private jets is led by pastors. Donations to Nigerian churches and mosques spike after religious clashes, so there is an obvious incentive to whip up sentiment and keep the clashes going. http://www.nairaland.com/2609908/5-n...ury-lifestyles.

The other is that conflict means military spending, and therefore graft opportunities through procurement. Boko Haram have made a lot of Nigerian generals rich, which in turn fuels more conflict. http://saharareporters.com/2016/01/1...e-pilot-others.

Actionable conclusion for those of us who are outsiders and care about the problem: humanitarian drops of human and cattle food please, but no on-the-ground ``assistance'' from do-gooders, whether they are Christian relief orgs or secular ones. And, no aid to African militaries. Kenya is screwed up for similar reasons because its military gets outside aid to contain Somalia. That's one of the reasons the Somali presence on the recent ban/not ban list is fairly ridiculous. Al Shabaab is focused on hitting Kenya now, becuase the Kenyan military used foreign money to fund a pillage/loot trip in 2013.
                    Last edited by hack; February 3, 2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• I'll read the links tonight. At the moment, I need to further Ohio's economic development efforts!

Comment

• At your leisure.

Are you working on port revitalization at all? I am hearing a whole bunch about this marine highway stuff. As in, if you really want to boost manufacturing in the midwest, revitalize the Great Lakes ports. Cant' go 12 months, but save on shipping costs and time when they can, in part by introducing competition to Baltimore and Philly and Norfolk to lower rates. GM wants it supposedly.

I might have been sold a line on this. Still awaiting some numbers. If the case were to be made so easily you'd think those numbers would be forthcoming fast.

Comment

• Trump's own Pravda, Fox & Friends, praises Dear Leader for his extraordinary job growth

[ame]https://twitter.com/Craigipedia/status/827559682172665856[/ame]

Comment

• Spicer claimed only 109 people were affected by the travel ban. Govt admitted today IN COURT that over 100,000 people have had their visas revoked as a consequence

At least 100,000 visas have been revoked in a single week in response to President Trump's executive immigration order, an attorney for the Justice Department revealed in court Friday. The number came to light in a Virginia courtroom as a federal judge granted the state's motion to join a lawsuit challenging the immigration ban. Attorney Erez Reuveni, from the DOJ's Office of Immigration Litigation, announced the staggering number after Judge Leonie Brinkema pressed for the number of people who were detained and sent back from airports.

Comment

• Though State Dept. contradicting this saying the figure is somewhere under 60,000

Either way, far more significant than Trump's team let on

Comment

• Port authority development is a little bit outside that which we can credibly put our hands on. I haven't heard it come up in my conversations with Cleveland economic development groups, though. I imagine it's a legitimate tool. I've heard rural economic development folks talk about the value of the Ohio River and slew of available spots in Ohio. I was like, what? -- they still ship shit by river? Apparently, though the value of cheap, accessible water is also big.

I'll keep it in mind. I'm sure to run across someone who can speak passionately about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X