No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One boll weevil brother went off to Hollywood and became a big star. The other ended up working at 7-11. He was the lesser of two weevils.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Horrible. Heh.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• US intelligence report released. Explicitly states that Russia/Putin wanted to aid Trump in winning the Election. Important to note that no vote-tampering is alleged. Just influence and that the Russian govt was behind hacking the DNC.

US intelligence says Russia's President Putin ordered a campaign to help Donald Trump win election.

On another note, I think Trump promised over a week ago that he had 'intelligence' that nearly no one else had and that he'd release it this week. Obviously, there's been nothing.

Comment

• you misunderstood.. He's intelligence.
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Yes, I still miss jrg98.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/818442923750592512[/ame]

[ame]https://twitter.com/ad_holland/status/818445927270780928[/ame]

Comment

• lol

Comment

• Yes , I do. I don't want to know what's really in his heart.

Comment

• It was the dumbest of times. It was the worst of times.

Comment

• We have a clownshow ahead for the next 4 years. Hopefully, there will be some morsels of good occasionally, too.

Comment

• I lived through the Cooper Years. I can survive this.
                        Last edited by iam416; January 9, 2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• lol

Comment

• Indeed.

Comment

• Kevin Williamson wrote a piece on America or something in the wake of some sort of "pick up truck" bruhaha. Whatever. Anyway, the heart of it is mostly an admonition to conservatives -- as that is the audience that will read his writing. I provide the link and excerpt only because, as obvious as the sentiment is, it struck a chord with me because I catch myself doing that which he scolds. Anyway:

A few years ago, Glenn Beck announced on his radio program that he was in search of a scenic barn. (I feel okay about picking on Glenn Beck: I am a big Glenn Beck fan, and my few personal encounters with him suggest that he is an extraordinary man.) He was working on a book to be called “The Real America,” and he wanted to take a picture of himself in front of a pretty, virtuous farmscape for the book cover. I assume this was good marketing (it would be easier to measure his book sales in tons than in units), and I get the emotional place this comes from. Farming America is, indeed, part of the real America.

But so is Broadway. So is Wall Street. So is Hollywood and Malibu and glorious Big Sur, and Chicago and Detroit and Miami and all the weird old places in America that don’t even feel like America at all, like New Orleans and Aroostook County, Maine. So is Muleshoe, Texas, and the campus of Harvard. America is a big, splendid place.

My parents and grandparents worked on farms, and I’ve done a (very) little bit of that myself. We have pick-up trucks and live in places where the economic indicators are corn and cotton prices — and, increasingly, oil and gas prices. We may be tied more directly into the physical world than are people who live and work in different environments: In the Texas Panhandle, a drought is a great deal more than an occasion to think about the nuances of climate-change rhetoric.

Russell Kirk, describing his “canons of conservative thought,” argued that to be a conservative is to appreciate genuine diversity, “the proliferating variety and mystery of human existence, as opposed to the narrowing uniformity, egalitarianism, and utilitarian aims of most radical systems.” The Left is living up to Kirk’s expectations: The increasingly sneering attitude of coastal elites toward the more conservative interior, particularly for the poor communities there, is as undeniable as it is distasteful. But conservatives are not immune to these Kulturkampf tendencies, either. No, the whole country does not need to be Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It doesn’t need to be Lubbock, Texas, either.

We instinctively understand that an economically healthy community has lots of different kinds of productive activities going on, that one-horse economies, whether in our state capitals or in Arab oil emirates, are almost always stunted in some way. And sneer all you like at Wall Street, nobody appreciates the value of effective financial services (especially commercial banking and insurance) more than an American farmer. The loan on his F-150 is hardly his most important financial obligation. But our diversity indicates more than economic health. It indicates a culture and a society that are genuinely alive and genuinely vital.

Our politics is less and less about using the clumsy machinery of the state to try to mitigate the effects of this or that problem, and more and more about what kind of people we are, what kind of people we aspire to be, and — not least, never least — what kind of people we hate: effete Santa Monica liberals who don’t know where their food comes from, small-minded prairie bigots who shop at Walmart and have never visited Europe. We have a keen understanding for the vices of those who are unlike us. Their virtues, less so. But the farmers and the bankers need each other.

It is a big country, and there is room for both.
                              Our country has room for coastal elites as well as the “Real America” heartland, for both bankers and farmers.

I'd argue there's a whole lot of sneering going right at the "coastal elites", too. I'd say it's on par with what's received.

tl;dr -- Why can't we all get along?
                              Last edited by iam416; January 9, 2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• the hilarious part of this is every country wanted somebody to win for their own reason --latin America was 86% pro Hillary government leader spoke openly that they hoped Hillary would be elected. you don't think china with all its resources would have done anything it could to get Hillary elected.

I believe there was a recount in a couple of states--far as I know nobody fessed up to admitting their vote was influence by Putin.

and talk about pot calling kettle from the Washington post

Comment

Working...
                                X