Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Izzo won't stop flirting with the NBA. One of these days he's gonna jump,
    A couple more losses to Michigan may grease the rails for him a bit, along with watching Michigan pick up a couple more top recruiting classes. If he sees that he's going to have to actually WORK for wins over Michigan (both on the court and in recruiting) then he may take the "Saban" way out, and bail to the NBA.

I agree, Hack. Some NBA team is going to eventually come along with a sweet deal for him that he won't be able to turn aside.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• He's said that he's curious. He's not just flirting for the attention, and he hates recruiting. If he can't reel in the state's best without effort anymore, that's one more big push out the door.

Comment

• Interesting. I remember Saban explaining his departure from E. Lansing having to do with his inability to compete with big brother for in state recruits.

Comment

• I've never understood the appeal of NBA coaching for a coach like Izzo. Sure, the money's great, but Izzo makes $3.5 million a year now(plus up to $350,000 if he hits incentives). Guys like him, Mike Krzyzewski, etc., have to know they'll never have the control and respect in an NBA locker room that they have at the collegiate level. I certainly have no idea what Tom Izzo will decide to do, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does very well at Michigan State for a good while longer.

Comment

• Some people like chocolate and others caramel. Some eat chocolate for a long time and then decide a change might be nice. Were I Izzo, I'd be curious to see if I could do it. Highly successful people often want a new challenge.

I think it's different for Coach K. He's got too far to fall if he fails. He can't go back to college at a better program then he was at previously. He'd end up like Pitino, perhaps. But Izzo at this point -- if he fails in the NBA there are plenty of college programs he can take over which aren't a major step down from MSU.

Comment

• I'd love to believe that the tide of the rivalry has turned after one overacheiving year, but the memories of the disastrous 09-10 debacle are still fresh in my mind. The program still needs a huge talent upgrade.

Comment

• I know next to nothing about basketball, but it seems to me that the skills to succeed in the pros amount to the ability to massage egos. That doesn't seem to be Izzos strength
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• They might get one with the '12 recruiting class, the '11 class is really good too. The program is headed back to being a top 15 program with JB in charge.

Comment

• Shoot, this doesn't go down until 5pm. I had 1pm on the brain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                      I'd love to believe that the tide of the rivalry has turned after one overacheiving year, but the memories of the disastrous 09-10 debacle are still fresh in my mind. The program still needs a huge talent upgrade.
                      The main thing lacking that year was PG play and depth up front. PG may once again be a question but I feel pretty confident about Trey Burke. We also are MUCH deeper up front with Morgan, Smotrycz, Horford, Beilfeldt and even McLimans if needed. Plus, there's always Zack Novak at the 4, if you have to go there for the 3rd year in a row. He's way undersized but doesn't get as abused there as one would think.

Back in '09-'10 we had Sims and Zack Gibson (and Novak at the 4). While Sims was most likely better than anything we have this year, Gibson was a McLimans type.

Comment

• Hanni makes a good point. One exceptional season with two wins over msu does not mean the tide has turned in our favor. But, last year can serve as an excellent starting point in re-establishing Michigan basketball. If we can get young Mr. McGary to commit today, that would be another rung on the ladder. That would give us a Top 5 class, and that's what you need to become a top basketball program.

We need to slap that team down south around a bit too.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I've got my Mitch McGary rally hat on!

C'mon!!!!!

Comment

• Where's live coverage?

Comment

• HE IS A WOLVERINE!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                Where's live coverage?
                                ESPNU!

Comment

Working...
                                X