No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always had the thought of Millen being a 1/10 on the GM ratings scale. Rock bottom. 31-97 (24.22%) in 8 seasons as a GM.

Troy Weaver certainly in the same class at the very least. 62-202 (23.48%) in 4 seasons as GM. Again, Ed Stefanski helped clear the table for Weaver to have flexibility in roster building. So it makes the situation even worse when you think about it IMO.

What sucks is we have had to witness this all in recent memory. Can’t dismiss the terrible Avila era.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• At least with the Avila era, as terrible as it was, the front office did start getting decent players at the farm system. Not enough to save his job but it has put the franchise on better footing for Harris.

We like to think they have some young core pieces, but Duren and Thompson can't shoot. Ivey is ok, but it might take a couple of years for him if everything goes right. Cunningham is good, but he's not Grant Hill level good. He is clearly their best player but his efficiency numbers early in the season were bad but they have improved. They don't have a stockpile of picks like the Jazz or.OKC. it's just not a good situation.

Comment

• You all are still watching this garbage?

Damn.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• In a "rubberneck the train wreck" sort of way? Yes. Occasionally.

In this case, I was at the game because my significant other was interviewing for a position in the Pistons video department.

Neither of us left particularly impressed with either the product on the court, or the business behind it. Gores has this franchise in a truly disastrous state at quite literally all levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            In a "rubberneck the train wreck" sort of way? Yes. Occasionally.

In this case, I was at the game because my significant other was interviewing for a position in the Pistons video department.

Neither of us left particularly impressed with either the product on the court, or the business behind it. Gores has this franchise in a truly disastrous state at quite literally all levels.
            Man, and that franchise was my favorite team growing up 4 decades ago, because they had Bill Davison as the Owner, and the late Jack McCloskey as GM, and the late Chuck Daly as the Head Coach, and you could see the team slowly getting better each year, culminating in the back-to-back NBA Titles in '89 and '90.

I simply don't trust this current iteration of the Detroit Pistons.

Tom Gores is in over his head as an Owner, Troy Weaver doesn't know what the heck he's doing, and our current Head Coach is simply cashing checks for this team; he really didn't want to come here until he saw what Gores was offering him to coach this garbage team.

Like I said earlier, it's sad that the Detroit Lions are a better run organization top to bottom than the other clowns in town. The Red Wings are getting better, I'll say that. However, they still have to prove that they're becoming a Cup contender in their sport just like the Detroit Lions still have to prove that they're potential Super Bowl contenders in theirs.
            "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• The Pistons are a great example of how pro sports teams make massive money without even having to put out a good product....I think Gores paid 300M or so for the team and the stadium and now it is worth around 2 billion? Its like no matter what he does, the value just increases. That is probably why he wont sell any time soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                The Pistons are a great example of how pro sports teams make massive money without even having to put out a good product....I think Gores paid 300M or so for the team and the stadium and now it is worth around 2 billion? Its like no matter what he does, the value just increases. That is probably why he wont sell any time soon.
                Just like the fact that the Detroit Lions aren't even as valuable as the Green Bay Packers, the Chicago Bears, the Minnesota Vikings, or just about every other team in the NFL outside of maybe the Jacksonville Jaguars or Cincinnati Bengals, I believe, but are much more valuable than any of the other Detroit sports franchises in town.

The NFL itself is a cash making machine, and even when someone with the Jaguars was caught recently embezzling $22 million dollars from the team, they'll be able to make up for it in other ways.

I'm pleased as punch that Gores doesn't own the Detroit Lions. His Pistons ownership is at the level of William Clay Ford Sr. level of ineptness and incompetence, and I lived through the last 48 years of WCF Sr. sorry leadership.
                "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                  You all are still watching this garbage?

Damn.
                  The Pistons are the first team that I really started following on the radio. It's a hard habit to break, there are times when I tune out, but that's normally when they are garden variety bad. I've probably paid more attention this year because they are so bad.

Comment

• The Ringer had a recent article about the Pistons. They pointed out that the individual players are reasonably talented, but fit together in a terrible overall team.

Outside of the no-brainer Cunningham pick, Weaver overvalues athletes and undervalues shooting. Hayes, Ivey, Duren & Ausar are all fantastic athletes, but none of them are plus shooters.

Heck, rumor was that Weaver didn't even want to draft Cunningham, but instead wanted Mobley or Green. That'd be totally consistent.

Comment

• "Hayes, Ivey, Duren & Ausar are all fantastic athletes, but none of them are plus shooters."

and all are extremely poor 3 point shooters, a big factor in todays game. Even Cunningham is sub par in that area. You're just not going to win alot of games in the NBA with all your best players shooting 30% and below from the 3.

Comment

• Shooting is the problem from what I hear. I don't watch that clown show.
                        GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Basically they don’t know what their doing 😂

Comment

• Gores saying he has a plan reminds me of Tom Lewand pulling out that document saying they had a plan for hiring their coach. In other words <fart sound>…

Comment

• Those comments are the equivalent of Gores seeing his shadow and declaring 6 more years of Winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X