No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's also a bit dicier building an NBA team because since there are so few people on the court (or even on the team), one bad personnel decision can fuck you over in ways it doesn't necessarily have to in other leagues.

For example, your first round pick flames out in the NHL, MLB, or NFL? That can certainly suck, but you have multiple other picks that could pick up the slack. Hell, teams expect most of their picks any given season to not result in much. But if you bomb your first rounder in the NBA? That's half your draft class and 20% of your projected starting lineup. It's also why tanking is such a big deal... you get that one generational guy? It completely turns your franchise around in ways that one person never could in any other sport.

Comment

• If you tank like the Pistons have if means you've spent the last three years not trying to find any good veteran players beause they might help put Ws in the column. That's the generous interpretation, the more depressing thought is maybe Weaver just can't find those players.

Comment

• Friday evening… I think it will be a Cameron Johnson, 4 years, $108M offer. $27M average per year. Need to find the right price for a RFA. This is the way.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Then if the Nets don’t match… hope it’s not another Gordon, Charlie V, or J Smith situation. This time, it works!
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Man the Hawks absolutely gave John Collins up for nothing. I’d have loved for the Pistons to have made that move. We have so man centers that Collins could have roamed the floor. That was a solid move by the Jazz
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
            Friday evening… I think it will be a Cameron Johnson, 4 years, $108M offer. $27M average per year. Need to find the right price for a RFA. This is the way.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Then if the Nets don’t match… hope it’s not another Gordon, Charlie V, or J Smith situation. This time, it works!
            I’d be happy with that signing.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• It is going to take 30+ per to get Can. Not interested at that price. He might be a great fit but he can't stay healthy.
              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• You might be right based on what I’ve heard over the last day… Ugh. $116M/ 4 years is the highest that I would go there.

What does a Harrison Barnes + Pistons contract look like? $48M/ 3 years?
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Cam isnt really a star just a very nice piece of the puzzle...thats alot of cheddar for a player that isnt really a star player.

Comment

• Pretty soon the true stars will be making 70-75 million per year. 30 million is not going to be a lot. I'm not sure Johnson gets to that and I think it's doubtful anybody signs him to an offer sheet.

The Pistons were the worst team in the league and you normally have to overpay in free agency. At some point you have to take a risk on some player. If you only spend money on a free agent if you think it's a good value you aren't going to get anyone and the ceiling is 25 wins.

Comment

• Fine. I’m convinced. $120M/ 4 years. Let’s goooo.

Rooting for two things this weekend.
                      Cameron Johnson to the Pistons and someone to offer a huge contract for Austin Reaves. Force the Lakers to pony up.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        Pretty soon the true stars will be making 70-75 million per year. 30 million is not going to be a lot. I'm not sure Johnson gets to that and I think it's doubtful anybody signs him to an offer sheet.

The Pistons were the worst team in the league and you normally have to overpay in free agency. At some point you have to take a risk on some player. If you only spend money on a free agent if you think it's a good value you aren't going to get anyone and the ceiling is 25 wins.
                        But what if I'm worried about money that isn't mine????

Comment

• I think sometimes people apply the same mindset to salary caps in each league. But in each league it's kind of different. For the last 10 years the NBA tradeable contracts are at least as important as cap space. The new CBA may change the that because of the second apron rules against combining salaries, but that's to be determined.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            I think sometimes people apply the same mindset to salary caps in each league. But in each league it's kind of different. For the last 10 years the NBA tradeable contracts are at least as important as cap space. The new CBA may change the that because of the second apron rules against combining salaries, but that's to be determined.
                            With the new CBA do you think some teams will get sneezed (kind of like how we lost Suh) and be forced to trade off some good players? If so, would it be smart if Weaver looked to saving his cap to that eventuality?
                            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• The Jordan Poole trade was an example of that, the day the new CBA was agreed to, it was clear that Poole was on the way out. I think the only way for the Pistons to acquire something that helps them is by one of these deals. But it's unclear to me how many of the second apron penalties come into effect immediately. So it's a good idea for the Pistons, but they are limited in how much cap space they can hold. NBA teams have to be at 90 percent of the ceiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

With the new CBA do you think some teams will get sneezed (kind of like how we lost Suh) and be forced to trade off some good players? If so, would it be smart if Weaver looked to saving his cap to that eventuality?
                                It does seem like a smart strategy to trade for a player in that situation than to way overpay for a restricted free agent

Comment

Working...
                                X