Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    I just don't get the point, honestly. First Bagley, now Wiseman. How many big men does Weaver think a team needs nowadays?
    Bagley is a very movable contract (25/2 left after the season). When acquired he brought an above the rim game that the Pistons lacked. Bad defender though and not much range on his shot.

​​​​​WIseman is a much better scorer and while his defense is not good it remains to been if he just needs minutes to improve.

Bagley is probably the 4th big right now.è
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Once Cade went out with the injury, that pretty much reduced Bagley's effectiveness....He's just not the same without Cade.

Comment

• The center needs to be able to play defense in today's NBA. It's fine to say they have movable contracts, but its time to move these contracts and get a team that can compete.

Comment

• Bagley's numbers are slightly down, but that's in part due to reduced minutes. He was also out for a long stretch with an injury. Since he came back he's been statistically about the same dude he was last year. Cade being out hurts everybody of course, but it hasn't been some sea change for Bags. He's a good offensive player that is terrible at defense. With or without Cade that doesn't change much.

Comment

• Yeah, Bagley suffered a knee injury at the end of the training camp and a broken hand at the start of the new year and people seemingly forget that. He gets his points but they are all the same type of player. Duren has shown the best and is younger. But unless you can make the jump to something like Lopez did at minimum it shouldn't be some sort of a building block. These type of players are cheap and interchangeable.

Comment

• Pistons finish the season with a 9-32 home record, the worst in their history.....

Comment

• Dwayne Casey will move to the front office...it was announced after todays stinker

Comment

• I feel bad for the guy. Wish he had a chance with a healthy talented roster.

Comment

• Yeah, Casey never had a shot with these Pistons rosters. Seems like a very nice guy. Glad he’s sticking around for a front office role.

Udoka for HC and draft Brandon Miller. Become the literal “bad boys” Pistons…

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Brandon Miller was not very impressive during NCAAs...8-41 from the field.....If not Wemba then Scoot but he is another PG.

Comment

• Casey had lost the team, probably when Cade was lost for the season.

It was time to make a change.

However, I'm dreading what decision the Pistons make for their next coach.

This franchise has made bad Head Coaching choices since at least Flip Saunders, though we didn't know it at the time.
                        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• The head coach seems to be only as good as the talent he has to work with...Im not sure anyone is turning this team around anytime soon.

Comment

• I thought John Kuester and Lawrence Frank were going to be the next great thing!

lol, our coaching carousel has been aimless and complete shit.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                              I feel bad for the guy. Wish he had a chance with a healthy talented roster.
                              Yeah, but, no. Casey has a hand in how bad they were/are. You don't need a ton of talent to box-out and rebound. You see it with Mighty MSU Spartans. They fight to limit other teams' opportunities and make every possession as tough as they can. I never got any feeling that the players were being coached on this. I'm not saying they weren't, I'm just saying they were terrible defensively and rebounding. You can't be bad at both and hope to beat anyone. A big part of that falls on Casey's shoulders.
                              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Tanking becomes an issue in the NBA, again

Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2023, 7:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL has managed to create and maintain a firewall between the late-season struggles of non-playoff teams and the benefits that flow from landing higher in the draft order. The NBA has not.

Tanking has been an open secret in the NBA, with teams deliberately taking steps to better position themselves for key incoming talent — and with the NBA struggling to keep it from happening.

The Mavericks, who five years ago drew a $600,000 fine for owner Mark Cuban’s comments about tanking, find themselves once again under scrutiny of the NBA. Via Tim MacMahon of ESPN.com, the NBA is looking into the decision of the team to rest several key players for a Friday night game that, with a loss, eliminated the franchise from a long-shot-to-the-championship playoff berth.

The NBA commenced an investigation today into the facts and circumstances surrounding the Dallas Mavericks’ roster decisions and game conduct with respect to last night’s Chicago Bulls-Mavericks game, including the motivations behind those actions,” NBA spokesperson Mike Bass said Saturday afternoon, via MacMahon.

The Mavericks announced late Friday that several key players would miss a game against the Chicago Bulls, ostensibly for precautionary reasons but possibly to ensure that the Mavericks miss the postseason. Another key player, Luka Doncic, exited after only 12 minutes.

Coach Jason Kidd seemed to acknowledge the strategic nature of the decision after the loss.

“It’s not so much waving the white flag,” Kidd said after the game, via MacMahon. “It’s [that] decisions sometimes are hard in this business. We’re trying to build a championship team. With this decision, this is maybe a step back. But hopefully it leads to going forward.”

Last year, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver called tanking a “serious issue” that has triggered “hundreds” of meetings.

With the presence of seven-foot, four-inch French phenom Victor Wembanyama in the next draft class, tanking to achieve the best shot at him via the draft lottery has become a major issue.

We put teams on notice,” Silver said in October 2022. “We’re going to be paying particular attention to the issue this year.

In the NFL, the temptation to tank is real. The Texans blew a chance at the first overall pick in the 2023 draft by winning a meaningless Week 18 game over the Colts. The Bears, who lost a meaningless Week 18 game to the Vikings, realized a major haul of picks and receiver D.J. Moore by trading out of the spot that Houston’s win delivered.

The NFL insists that teams try to win every single game. It’s baloney, but that doesn’t keep the NFL from insisting that teams try to win every single game.

And while a draft lottery would become a major, money-for-nothing offseason tentpole for the NFL, the league has resisted doing anything that would draw a line, straight or dotted, between late-season losses and April wins.

But what about those situations when tanking either obviously happened or was clearly attempted? The league ignores it (as it did when the Bucs tanked in the second half of a Week 17 loss to the Saints in 2014) or tells us these are not the droids we’re looking for, as the league did when it accepted and repeated the notion that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was joking when he offered former coach Brian Flores $100,000 per loss in 2019, when Ross wanted to lose enough games to get quarterback Joe Burrow.

Funny joke. I’m still looking for the punchline.

The joke will be on the NFL if/when a tanking controversy ever sparks a major investigation into teams not putting their best players on the field in order to best position itself for a player who could transform the franchise for years. The only way to solve the issue is to remove the temptation entirely.

It wouldn’t be that hard, if the NFL really wanted to do it.
                                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X