No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistons Likely To Pick Up Hamidou Diallo Option; Decline Frank Jackson Option

The Detroit Pistons are in position to have the most cap space in the NBA this summer. Now, it seems like Detroit will sacrifice a bit of that space to retain one of their own players.

The Pistons are reportedly likely to pick up their $5.2 million team option for wing Hamidou Diallo for next season. That would reduce Detroit's projected cap space to about $40.6 million in July.

The same report also says that the Pistons are likely to decline their $3.15 team option for guard Frank Jackson. That would make Jackson and unrestricted free agent this summer.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Frank ran aground last season. But I like Hamidou's game off the bench. He fits with the team they are accumulating.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Kyrie opted in, so it's a little more likely they both stay in Brooklyn but who knows.
        NBA trade machine, make player trades

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          Kyrie opted in, so it's a little more likely they both stay in Brooklyn but who knows.
          They’re dealing the inevitable.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Not surprised about those rumors about team options. Haven’t heard anything about Carsen Edwards or Luka Garza.

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            I don't think Memphis has that much depth as you think, they just traded always Melton, Tyjss Jones and Kyle Anderson are UFAs.

Like I said originally about this subject, the Pistons would need Durant to demand a trade in the middle.of the season and they would need to sign some good vets on tradeable contracts that they could package. If he were to demand a trade on 7/6, it's not likely. But if he demands a trade in February, there won't be many teams.

Durant should fetch a lot but his salary makes it hard. It's not impossible to trade for him but when you get over 40-45 million, the amount of teams that are able to trade for the guy dwindles. Just go to the trade machine and try to make it work.
            Memphis is basically replacing Melton and Anderson with their two 1st RD picks (Jake LaRavia, David Roddy). Smart use of assets for a team that drafts well. Not a clear replacement for Jones. He was basically Ja’s backup when injured. Otherwise… Melton, Jones, and Anderson were just bench rotational players. The Memphis trade would have to include Adams, Brooks, maybe another player, and a crap ton of future picks. The goal of retaining the core of Morant, Jackson, and Bane.

Not that it matters anymore because of Kyrie opting in. Decreases the likelihood of the Nets falling apart.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Rumors...

MAIN RUMORS

Knicks are the favorites to land Jalen Brunson now
              June 28, 2022

MAIN RUMORS

Hornets not offering Miles Bridges a max deal?
              June 28, 2022
              Speaking via ESPN, Windhorst said Monday: “Let’s take a look at Miles Bridges. He’s not being offered, from what I’m told, a max contract from the Charlotte Hornets right now. So, he’s going to go out into the market place, starting on Thursday or Friday, and see if he can get that offer from somewhere else.”
              Source: Karl Rasmussen @ Clutch Points

MAIN RUMORS
              Blazers very likely to keep both Jusuf Nurkic and Anfernee Simons
              June 28, 2022

MAIN RUMORS
              John Wall to Clippers after reaching buyout agreement with Rockets
              June 27, 2022

MAIN RUMORS
              Kyrie Irving opts in, won't become free agent
              June 27, 2022

Comment

• https://hoopshype.com/2022/06/28/hor...es-a-max-deal/

More on this storyline

With those moves in mind, Detroit will need to add five to six players via free agency or trade to round out the roster. As I reported last week, even with room to sign a player to a max contract, the Pistons are unlikely to throw max offers at the likes of restricted free agents Deandre Ayton and Miles Bridges, though things can change. Instead, signs point to Detroit looking to add quality, veteran role players to pair with its young core as it furthers this rebuild. Maintaining financial flexibility moving forward is still important to the franchise, per sources, with the 2023 free agency class expected to be far better-stocked than this year’s group. On the trade front, Detroit could elect to use its cap space to acquire undesirable contracts and picks, adding potential rotational players that way. -via The Athletic / June 27, 2022

Miles Bridges: Damn bro why do you wanna hurt my feelings ?? -via Twitter / June 26, 2022

Detroit is projected to have salary-cap space in the $50 million range to pursue Ayton and perhaps one other top free agent, with Charlotte’s Miles Bridges and Cleveland’s Collin Sexton thought to be ahead of Dallas’ Jalen Brunson on the Pistons’ wish list. -via marcstein.substack.com / June 23, 2022
                IDK about adding these jags. The NBA is a game of Quality players. They could allow a team to have 50 guys on it's roster and they would be no closer to winning. I want the better players. Find a way. Don't mess up things and muddy the whole environment with a bunch of scrubs. As it is, Ayton and Bridges are B listers (at best) in the NBA. Now they want a bunch of C and D level types instead?

Weaver has done a masterful job so far. IDK why we can't just add to our starting 5 and just keep the rest and supplement from there. You can always add those types to sit on the bench and whisper sweet nothings in the younger player's ears. Right now is when those guys are over rated and overpaid IMHO.

Comment

• Color me unimpressed at the list under Bridges. Might as well sign some 1 yr contracts if they aren't going for Ayton or Bridges:

Ranking the top 30 NBA free agents in 2022 originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago

The 2022 NBA free agency period may not be defined by player movement, but it certainly has a lot of talent, especially in the backcourt. Of the 30 free agents presented in these rankings, 13 are guards.

Free agency is set to start on June 30, starting at 5 p.m. CT. Teams will be able to agree to contracts with free agents at that point, but can't make those deals official until July 6.

PO = Player option | RFA = Restricted free agent
                  1. Kyrie Irving, Brooklyn Nets (PO)
                  Irving has stated his desire to re-sign with the Nets and continue to play alongside Kevin Durant. The contract length and value will be interesting to see after a tumultuous season for the Nets, which included Irving's stretch as a part-time player after refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

2. Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards (PO)
                  Beal is another star guard free agent expected to re-up with his current team. Beal can opt out of the final year of his contract and will be eligible for a five-year, $245 million max contract with the Wizards. Washington is the only team that can offer him that kind of deal.

3. James Harden, Philadelphia 76ers (PO)
                  Harden's had an uneven stint in Philadelphia so far, but if he decides to decline his player option and becomes a free agent, the Sixers won't have much of a choice but to pay him what he wants. The Sixers can't afford to lower their ceiling with Joel Embiid after sending away Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond and two first-round picks for Harden at the trade deadline.

4. Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls
                  LaVine is the best player who's guaranteed to hit unrestricted free agency. He helped lead the Bulls to their first playoff berth since 2017 and collected back-to-back All-Star selections over the last two seasons. A max contract is likely in order for the 27-year-old.

5. Deandre Ayton, Phoenix Suns (RFA)
                  The Suns had a chance to sign Ayton to a rookie-scale extension before this season began, but the two sides couldn't agree on terms. Whether the Suns go deep into the luxury tax for Ayton to keep their core together long-term is one of the bigger storylines of the 2022 offseason.

6. Jalen Brunson, Dallas Mavericks
                  There wasn't another player in the playoffs who made more money for himself than Jalen Brunson. He carried the Mavericks' offense through most of their first-round series win over the Jazz as Luka Doncic nursed a calf strain. Brunson is now a crucial piece to the Mavs' success and he won't be cheap come negotiation time.

7. Miles Bridges, Charlotte Hornets (RFA)
                  Bridges' breakout year didn't earn him the Most Improved Player award, but it'll certainly help his wallet. The Hornets will have the ability to match any offer sheet Bridges can find in the open market and it's hard to imagine a scenario where they let him walk. Big wings who can score and make plays with the ball are invaluable and Bridges proved himself this season.

8. Anfernee Simons, Portland Trail Blazers (RFA)
                  With CJ McCollum gone, Simons is the Blazers' best backcourt partner for Damian Lillard. Whether Lillard is long for Portland, the Blazers would be keen to get Simons signed as a core piece moving forward.

9. Collin Sexton, Cleveland Cavaliers (RFA)
                  Depending on what happens with Ayton, Sexton may be the best restricted free agent who's likely to change teams this offseason. His injury allowed Darius Garland to take full control of the offense and while the Cavs need to add more talent, a small scoring guard isn't exactly a need for them. A sign-and-trade for Sexton, similar to how the Bulls acquired Lonzo Ball, could be a way for Cleveland to address a few needs and get Sexton in a better situation.

10. Jusuf Nurkic, Portland Trail Blazers
                  Nurkic is a good player, a bonafide starter who can provide value in the post, on the glass and as a passer. His defense and perimeter shooting have kept him from ascending as one of the league's best big men, but he'll still have plenty of suitors this summer.

11. Bruce Brown, Brooklyn Nets
                  Brown was one of the few sources of stability for the Nets all year. He's a guard, but he plays the game more like a playmaking big man, setting screens and making plays out of the short roll when defenses send help toward Durant or Irving. He's also a great defender on a team in need of great defenders, so there's a good chance Brown lands himself a nice payday this summer.

12. Malik Monk, Los Angeles Lakers
                  Monk was probably the only successful 2021 offseason acquisition by the Lakers, but is he going to be too expensive for them now? He averaged a career-high 13.8 points while shooting 47.3% from the floor and 39.1% on threes. The Lakers need shooting and athleticism, but they might get priced out on Monk unless they want to go even further into the tax for a team that failed to make the postseason this year.

13. John Wall, Houston Rockets (PO)
                  Wall has only played in 40 games over the last three seasons and has a player option for $47 million. If he opts out or takes a buyout from the Rockets, he'll have plenty of opportunities to contribute elsewhere. Wall at a $9 million salary is probably a lot more palatable for teams than Wall at $47 million.

14. Russell Westbrook, Los Angeles Lakers (PO)
                  Westbrook has the same $47 million player option Wall does, and after an objectively bad debut season in LA, it's possible the Lakers trade him to reshuffle their roster. If he opts in, it'll be difficult for the Lakers to find a trade partner. If he opts out, he could find a new team and role that better suits his skill set.

15. Bobby Portis, Milwaukee Bucks (PO)
                  Portis took a little less money than expected last summer after helping the Bucks win a title as a key reserve. He was solid once again this season, so opting out wouldn't be the worst idea from a financial perspective. Whether the Bucks would pay a lot to keep him remains to be seen.

16. Wesley Matthews, Milwaukee Bucks
                  17. JaMychal Green, Denver Nuggets (PO)
                  18. Joe Ingles, Portland Trail Blazers
                  19. PJ Tucker, Miami Heat (PO)
                  20. Donte DiVincenzo, Sacramento Kings (RFA)
                  21. Victor Oladipo, Miami Heat
                  22. JaVale McGee, Phoenix Suns
                  23. Montrezl Harrell, Charlotte Hornets
                  24. Kyle Anderson, Memphis Grizzlies
                  25. Andre Drummond, Brooklyn Nets
                  26. Thaddeus Young, Toronto Raptors
                  27. Nic Claxton, Brooklyn Nets (RFA)
                  28. Goran Dragic, Brooklyn Nets
                  29. Marvin Bagley III, Detroit Pistons (RFA)
                  30. Thomas Bryant, Washington Wizards

Comment

• People keep bringing up Malik Monk but he isn't as good as his static statistics say. He is Frank Jackson. And you can find those guys around. Not special is what I think of. I watched at least half of the Lakers games last year.

Comment

• Yeah it’s not a deep class for sure. I think their best bet is trading with cash strapped teams. That will surely be a much larger market of aging talent.

I also think the Pistons are going to open up Stewart more as he’s been working on his 3 ball. I know most don’t like him here but I think Weaver does
                      Last edited by jaadam4; June 28, 2022, 10:33 AM.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Meaning Stewart more as a 4
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                          Yeah it’s not a deep class for sure. I think their best bet is trading with cash strapped teams. That will surely be a much larger market of aging talent.

I also think the Pistons are going to open up Stewart more as he’s been working on his 3 ball. I know most don’t like him here but I think Weaver does
                          The rim and open air loves him. He devotes a lot of shots their way.

Comment

• He sux and this just in, he's not Ben Wallace in any incarnation. He should be a deep bench substitute at best.. He's garbage with the ball in his hands.

Comment

• Sounds like Brunson to the Knicks is close to a lock. Knicks hired Brunson’s dad and they’re willing to offer a large contract.

The more I read into Bridges, the less I’m interested. Taking into account your comments too. I’m starting to agree with Froot that the best path is a cheaper veteran or two.

Yes, take on another team’s bad contract for future draft picks. Flexibility is key heading into 2023.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                                He sux and this just in, he's not Ben Wallace in any incarnation. He should be a deep bench substitute at best.. He's garbage with the ball in his hands.
                                I’m not saying I agree with the Stewart assessment but he’s working on his 3 ball for a reason. He’s going to get a look there for sure.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X