No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed but we’re not talking about contending next season. Build for the long haul. If they do it right and learn how to win they’ll have a young core for awhile.

Just because teams are strong now shit can turn quickly. It took that 04 team several baby steps and Sheed to finally deliver. It wasn’t over night for them.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Former Detroit Pistons Hall Of Famer Bob Lanier died yesterday:

Hall of Famer, former Detroit Pistons center Bob Lanier dead at age 73 (detroitnews.com)

New York — Former Detroit Pistons center Bob Lanier, the left-handed big man who muscled up beside the likes of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as one of the NBA’s top players of the 1970s, died Tuesday. He was 73.

The NBA said Lanier died after a short illness. The Hall of Famer had worked for the league as a global ambassador. The Athletic reported in 2019 that Lanier was being treated for bladder cancer.

Lanier played 14 seasons with the Pistons and Milwaukee Bucks and averaged 20.1 points and 10.1 rebounds for his career. He is third on the Pistons’ career list in both points and rebounds. (as of 2020) Detroit drafted Lanier with the No. 1 overall pick in 1970 after he led St. Bonaventure to the Final Four.

Lanier went into the Hall of Fame in 1992. But his boat-size shoes got there ahead of him, with a display of his bronzed sneakers in the shrine.

He was known for wearing size 22 shoes, although that was disputed in 1989 by a Converse representative, who told The Atlanta Constitution that Lanier wore size 18 1/2.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver issued the following statement:

“Bob Lanier was a Hall of Fame player and among the most talented centers in the history of the NBA, but his impact on the league went far beyond what he accomplished on the court. For more than 30 years, Bob served as our global ambassador and as a special assistant to David Stern and then me, traveling the world to teach the game’s values and make a positive impact on young people everywhere.

It was a labor of love for Bob, who was one of the kindest and most genuine people I have ever been around. His enormous influence on the NBA was also seen during his time as President of the National Basketball Players Association, where he played a key role in the negotiation of a game-changing collective bargaining agreement.

“I learned so much from Bob by simply watching how he connected with people. He was a close friend who I will miss dearly, as will so many of his colleagues across the NBA who were inspired by his generosity. We send our deepest condolences to Bob’s family and friends.”
      "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• RIP Bob

Comment

• R.I.P Bob.
          GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Bob Lanier was the biggest man I ever saw in person.

Back in the 70s, when I was about 15 my cousin's husband was a sports reporter for the Freep. I went to a Pistons' game with her at Cobo Hall. We had court side seats, center court right next to where the players came out of the locker room

At the time, I was a pretty good basketball player (for a 5'10" white boy) with "aspirations" I never walked into a gym where I thought that I couldn't play, but...

I saw Lanier close up, followed closely by Curtis Rowe. They were both huge, but Lanier was a mountain of a man.

I realized then and there that the dream was over. Ha!
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• My first day at Michigan State I met Pig Miller and Shawn Respect, they shared a room on my floor. Holy shit was Pig huge and he would have been considered small compared to Lanier.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                Bob Lanier was the biggest man I ever saw in person.

Back in the 70s, when I was about 15 my cousin's husband was a sports reporter for the Freep. I went to a Pistons' game with her at Cobo Hall. We had court side seats, center court right next to where the players came out of the locker room

At the time, I was a pretty good basketball player (for a 5'10" white boy) with "aspirations" I never walked into a gym where I thought that I couldn't play, but...

I saw Lanier close up, followed closely by Curtis Rowe. They were both huge, but Lanier was a mountain of a man.

I went to a pre-season Pistons game in GR at Calvin Colege. I got there early and got a seat directly under the basket. Dick Vitale was the coach and Lanier was the star. On a fast break, Lanier was fouled and fell into the crowd under the basket. I'd like to say that he fell on me, but that is not exactly what happened. He fell on about four people, and I was one. Huge man. Huger when he is barreling directly at you.

Comment

• RIP Dauber!

Growing up I loved the Lanier/Bing Pistons. I could never understand (at that age) why they never won more.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

When Spud Webb Burst onto the scene did you dust off the shoes and think you had one more run in you?
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Curtis Rowe use to shoot with two hands. One on each side of the ball.
                      GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Since The Process began, the Sixers still have failed to exceed the second round playoff exit that Doug Collins had in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          Since The Process began, the Sixers still have failed to exceed the second round playoff exit that Doug Collins had in 2012.
                          10 years now, in fact.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            Since The Process began, the Sixers still have failed to exceed the second round playoff exit that Doug Collins had in 2012.
                            True but the Pistons havent even won a playoff game since 2008? Alot of it is just getting lucky at the right time....Embiid is a superstar but Fultz was a bust and Ben Simmons was mentally fragile.....It's difficult to tell which 18-19 year old will be a great player in a few years....Just like this coming draft...Which of these guys is a clear cut #1 and a future superstar?

Comment

• I think Embiid is hard to play with and build a team around. In the middle of a dogfight with the Heat he complains about Jokic winning the MVP and being in a lose-lose situation with game 5, he is a front runner.

I just think that some people thought the process was some sort of great strategy. They were intentionally tanking for 4-5 seasons and it really got them nowhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

True but the Pistons havent even won a playoff game since 2008? Alot of it is just getting lucky at the right time....Embiid is a superstar but Fultz was a bust and Ben Simmons was mentally fragile.....It's difficult to tell which 18-19 year old will be a great player in a few years....Just like this coming draft...Which of these guys is a clear cut #1 and a future superstar?
                                Pistons have been terrible for the last 10ish years. No question about it. Things are looking up though. A lot to look forward to next year and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                                X