Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

If the Chicago guy is a Bulls fan, you can remind him that just like the Dallas Cowboys, the Bulls haven't been seriously relevant since the 1990's.

Oh I did. Amongst other things. You know me

Big Belly Party GIF by Bent Stick Brewing
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

The bigs they have acquired this off season are shooters/scorers.

I go to Youtube and the first video is some schlub in Chicago talking about how terrible the guy is and he just made the video because he (Kelly) is now off the HOU team. That this signing was so bad that it set DET back years, blah, blah, blah... He went on to say he didn't know anything about the Detroit roster... WTF.

You guys know I couldn't resist letting him have it. I couldn't believe people actually listen to THAT guy and then I thought of the current state of the world
      Think I actually watched the same video yesterday. Part of it.
      YouTube searched “Kelly Olynk” an hour after the news and that was the #1 recommended video.
      The guy doesn’t know anything about the Pistons.

Nothing to feel sorry about for Pistons fans. Olynk is a fine rotational player and the contract turning out to be 2 years makes it ok.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Oh I did. Amongst other things. You know me

Big Belly Party GIF by Bent Stick Brewing

LOL
        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

Think I actually watched the same video yesterday. Part of it.
          YouTube searched “Kelly Olynk” an hour after the news and that was the #1 recommended video.
          The guy doesn’t know anything about the Pistons.

Nothing to feel sorry about for Pistons fans. Olynk is a fine rotational player and the contract turning out to be 2 years makes it ok.
          Did he pay for that honor? I couldn't believe that was the #1 suggested video. That guy was clueless.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Imagine all of those signings yesterday and bothering to record a YouTube video about Olynyk.

Comment

• Well, we traded a scrub center signed for $8.5, to dump that guy while moving back 20 spots in the draft, then signed another scrub center for $12.5.

All told, we dropped 20 spots in the 2nd round, paid $4 more per, while winding up with another scrub center, only this guy is even a bigger white guy OOF.

Needless to say, I don’t get it.

Comment

• Plus, he’s Canadian and has a girl’s name.

WTF?

Comment

• There’s Kelly Oubre too.

Really like the new primary court design:

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                    Well, we traded a scrub center signed for $8.5, to dump that guy while moving back 20 spots in the draft, then signed another scrub center for $12.5.

All told, we dropped 20 spots in the 2nd round, paid $4 more per, while winding up with another scrub center, only this guy is even a bigger white guy OOF.

Needless to say, I don’t get it.
                    I would have liked the Pistons to have kept Thor. That kid is young and could turn into a decent player. Time will tell if it was a good move or not.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

I would have liked the Pistons to have kept Thor. That kid is young and could turn into a decent player. Time will tell if it was a good move or not.
                      Yeah, but they didn't pick him. What I mean is that they may have picked someone else (CHAMPIONSHIP!!!) if it was their choice. The other team told them who they wanted picked there.

As far as Kelly, he is a better shooter then the last Center.

As I said before, it's obvious what Weaver's looking to add (outside of Cade) this off season. Big men who can stretch the floor on the offensive end. Mt only issue is that somebody has to defend.

Don't they? Or is that old an antiquated?

Comment

Yeah, but they didn't pick him. What I mean is that they may have picked someone else (CHAMPIONSHIP!!!) if it was their choice. The other team told them who they wanted picked there.

As far as Kelly, he is a better shooter then the last Center.

As I said before, it's obvious what Weaver's looking to add (outside of Cade) this off season. Big men who can stretch the floor on the offensive end. Mt only issue is that somebody has to defend.

Don't they? Or is that old an antiquated?
                        Ever since the '05 NBA Finals between Detroit and San Antonio, the whole National Basketball Association from the late David Stern on down went out and de-emphasized defense, and this is the end result.

Eventually, people will complain about too much offense and then they'll change the rules again.
                        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• That's the balance that every professional league struggles to find.

Fans want scoring... but they don't want scoring to be TOO easy. But they don't want every point to be a slog.

Comment

• Pre-2005 a lot of what was considered good defense was really teams holding the ball on offense..

Also it took 30 years for NBA coaches to accept what Rick Pitino figured out. You only need to shoot 33 percent from 3 to be as effective from 2.

Olynyk is an upgrade from Plumlee, Stewart will be the .ore defensive minded center and you can be a little more versatile. They have some decent defenders on the team, see how this lineup plays out and then make adjustments.

Comment

• Ex-Detroit Pistons core big men Andre Drummond, Blake Griffin cement fall from grace

There were a handful of former Detroit Pistons to hit NBA free agency this week, including the core of the franchise's last playoff team two years ago.

Two of those former players, Andre Drummond and Blake Griffin, were signed to max contracts on their last long-term deals. This week, both signed for the veteran's minimum, a stark downfall.

Reggie Jackson, the Pistons’ former point guard, remains on the market despite his stellar postseason run with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Let's take a look at where the former Pistons have landed with additional stats and analysis (Deals can become official Friday at 12:01 p.m.):

Andre Drummond to Philly?!

Drummond has seen his value fall off a cliff as the league continues to evolve, and that continued with his signing for the veteran's minimum ($2.4 million) with the Philadelphia 76ers for one year. It's a shocking and hilarious pairing, because he will now back up his nemesis Joel Embiid, the league MVP runner-up last season.

Recall this tweet from less than three years ago:

Though the rivalry was a war of words and great fun for fans, it seemed to be good-natured, as the two would dap up and laugh on the court. Now, they'll be cheering each other on as the 76ers look to bounce back from their latest playoff failing.

Drummond, who turns 28 next week, has been a nomad since being dumped by the Pistons at the 2020 trade deadline to Cleveland in exchange for expiring contracts and a 2023 second-round pick.

He was bought out last season by Cleveland after they could not find a trade partner, then signed for the rest of the year with the Lakers, where he started and averaged 11.9 points and 10.2 rebounds in 24.8 minutes over 21 games (53.1% shooting, 60.5% on free throws).

But he was unable to help the Lakers advance in the playoffs, despite averages of nine points on 59.4% shooting and 11 rebounds in five games vs. Phoenix, playing 21 minutes per night. He was the only active Laker not to play in Game 6, a season-ending loss.

Drummond, whose last contract with the Pistons in 2016 paid him $127 million over five years, is a younger and more productive version of Dwight Howard — and just as mercurial. Howard had a solid season as Embiid's backup, but is signing with the Lakers for his third tour of duty.

With Embiid's lengthy injury history and the Sixers' cautious approach, Drummond will receive spot starts on a team with championship aspirations, and will have a chance to increase his value entering next summer's market — just as long as he's not paired with Ben Simmons.

Derrick Rose's long-term deal with New York

Derrick Rose's nearly one-and-a-half seasons with the Pistons helped further his rebuilt reputation. Now, it's paying off.

Rose, who turns 33 in October, is re-upping for three years and $43 million with the New York Knicks.

Rose's acquisition — in exchange for Dennis Smith Jr. and Charlotte's second-round pick, which became Isaiah Livers at No. 42 overall — helped the Knicks capture the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference, where they were promptly dispatched in five games by Atlanta.

In 35 games with New York, Rose averaged 14.9 points (48.7% shooting, 41.1% from 3 on 2.6 attempts per game) and 4.2 assists as a spark plug off the bench in 26.8 minutes per game.

He was even better in the playoffs, moving into the starting lineup for the final three games and averaging 19.4 points (47.6% shooting, 47.1% from 3 on 3.4 attempts per game) and five assists over 35 minutes per game.

Blake Griffin back to Brooklyn

The ill-fated Griffin trade with the Los Angeles Clippers in January, 2018 ended up setting the Pistons back years, but ultimately led to the promising rebuild they're now in.

Still, it hurt when the Pistons were left without any options other than to buy-out Griffin's final years. Griffin, 32, gave back $13 million of the $75 million he was owed from the Pistons, but carries a $30 million dead cap hit this year on Detroit's books that expires next summer.
                              Your stories live here.
                              Fuel your hometown passion and plug into the stories that define it.
                              Create Account
                              He promptly signed with Brooklyn and looked refreshed, though still far from the All-Star campaign with the Pistons just two years earlier.

He started dunking again — he hadn't done that in two years — usurped the starting center role and was the primary defender against Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo, helping the injury riddled Nets stay afloat in what became an epic seven-game East semifinal series. He played 40 minutes in Game 7, posting 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Griffin is back with the Nets on a one-year deal worth the veteran’s minimum.

He started all 12 postseason games for the Nets, averaging nine points (53.2% shooting, 38.9% from 3 on 3.6 attempts per game, 14-for-36), 5.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists over 26.5 minutes per game.

In 26 games in the regular season (10 starts), he averaged 10 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists, shooting 38.3% from 3 on 3.1 attempts per game over 21.5 minutes.

Bruce Brown Jr. also returns to Brooklyn

After a nice season moonlighting as a big man on offense, Bruce Brown Jr. is returning to the Nets on a one-year deal for his qualifying offer of $4.7 million.

Brown, who turns 25 in August, worked his way into the starting lineup as a complementary piece to the Nets' stars, finishing the regular season with averages of 8.8 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 0.9 steals in 22.3 minutes per game over 65 games (37 starts). He shot 55.6% overall but an abysmal 28.8% from 3 (17-for-59).

In 12 playoff games (five starts), he played 23.1 minutes and collected 7.9 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.1 assists, shooting 50.6% overall and hitting 2 of 11 3-pointers.

In Troy Weaver's first trade as Pistons general manager last fall, he dealt Brown to the Nets for Dzanan Musa, a 2021 second-round pick (which became No. 37 overall and used to get off Mason Plumlee) and cash considerations, though the deal later expanded to include Luke Kennard and the first-round pick that became Saddiq Bey.

Reggie Bullock to help Luka Doncic in Dallas

Reggie Bullock was a nice find by the Stan Van Gundy-led front office in the middle of last decade, and he has continued to impress. He is richer because of it, agreeing to a three-year, $30.5 million deal with the Dallas Mavericks. His agent told USA TODAY Sports that Bullock found the fit appealing for numerous reasons, "including Luka Doncic's star power, the hiring of Jason Kidd as head coach, Mark Cuban's ownership presence, his potential role and no state income tax."

Bullock, 30, averaged 10.9 points and shot 41% from 3 on 6.1 attempts per game last season as a full-time starter for the Knicks.

The Pistons traded him to the Lakers at the 2019 deadline for Svi Mykhailiuk and a 2021 second-round pick, which they used to select Luka Garza at No. 52.

Wayne Ellington to Hollywood

Wayne Ellington will once again be a Laker, agreeing to a one-year deal. He'll provide outside shooting for a team desperate for it, after the addition of noted brick-layer Russell Westbrook.

Ellington, who played with the Lakers in 2014-15, shot 42.2% from 3 on six attempts per game last season with the Pistons, averaging 9.6 points in 22 minutes over 46 appearances (31 starts).

The 33-year-old is a career 38.2% shooter from 3-point range over 14 seasons.

Comment

• Detroit Pistons' plan for Cade Cunningham-Killian Hayes backcourt: They're '1A and 1B'
                                Omari Sankofa II Detroit Free Press

After the Detroit Pistons won the NBA draft lottery, Cade Cunningham began studying his new team on YouTube.

Of course, Cunningham was a month away from being drafted by the Pistons. But he wanted to get a head start. He pulled up full games and highlights to get a feel for his soon-to-be-teammates, and how his game could fit alongside them.

FREE AGENCY:Why the Pistons should be happy they got Kelly Olynyk, Cory Joseph

Cunningham had his first chance to use what he learned on Monday during his first practice with the summer league team. The group will practice all week before leaving for Vegas on Friday for the five-game slate, beginning Sunday.

After a long pre-draft process that prevented him from getting any five-on-five work in, he said it was fun to be able to get back into the offseason swing.

SHAWN WINDSOR:Cade Cunningham's most impressive feat so far? Capturing the cool of Detroit already

“I want to get a flow for the team, I want to get a feel for everybody on the team,” he said. “I know what the number one pick perception is coming in, so the biggest thing for me is to come in and reassure the team that I’m about playing winning basketball instead of just trying to live up to the hype or whatever. I want to be able to blend in, get a good flow in the offense, get the ball moving, things like that so that we can play good basketball and then move forward.”

Head coach Dwane Casey will have plenty of time to evaluate Cunningham and figure out how to maximize his impact before the season tips off in October. But certain aspects of that process are pretty straightforward. Cunningham, a 6-foot-8 playmaker who can do everything on offense and defend multiple positions on defense, won't be hard to work into the game plan.

The Pistons run a scheme with a lot of overlap in responsibilities between point guard, shooting guard and small forward. Last season, Casey often spoke of the Pistons embracing the modern, positionless-approach to basketball. With Cunningham in tow, he wants to go even further in that direction.

[ How the Cade Cunningham-Killian Hayes fit could define the Pistons ]

It helps that Cunningham’s potential running mate, Killian Hayes, is also a playmaker who can defend. Cunningham and Hayes will be 1A and 1B as ball-handlers, Casey said. He doesn’t want to hand more responsibility to one over the other. Both of Detroit’s lottery picks under Troy Weaver are being handed the keys.

“Everybody has a role, but again, it’s playing basketball,” Casey said. “It’s not anything complicated and that’s one thing I don’t want to do is overthink. “Well this guy’s gotta do this, this guy’s gotta do, no. It’s basketball. We have certain roles for the one, two and three that are interchangeable and should be interchangeable, which will make those guys more difficult to guard. But (Cunningham is) comfortable doing anything, whether it’s pick-and-roll, off the ball, defending a two, defending a three, he showed it today.”

JEFF SEIDEL:Pistons' pick of Cade Cunningham the latest sign of a new era in Detroit sports

The Pistons' summer league roster will include most of their young players, but much of the focus will be on Cunningham, the newly-drafted first overall pick, and Hayes, who didn’t have a summer league to attend last year and only played 26 NBA games due to injury.

Casey said he isn’t sure where their comfort level will be while sharing the floor together, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

“We want them comfortable playing, but a little bit of being uncomfortable is good,” Casey said. “I like them being uncomfortable right now. It’s a time to be uncomfortable. Trying to get those guys a rhythm playing together, 1A and 1B, is not new. It’s nothing that hasn’t been done before. Getting a rhythm more than being comfortable is the terminology for what we use.”
                                Your stories live here.
                                Fuel your hometown passion and plug into the stories that define it.
                                Create AccountSummer league roster coming into focus

Because the NBA canceled last year’s summer league due to the pandemic, most of Detroit’s young players have yet to participate in one. It places extra importance on this year's summer league, which will run from Aug. 8-17, from a developmental standpoint.

Isaiah Livers, the 42nd pick of the 2021 draft, and Isaiah Stewart will sit out of summer league due to injury. Livers is recovering from a foot injury suffered during the Big Ten tournament, while Stewart is close to returning from an ankle injury during his time in Las Vegas with the USA Select Team.

Chris Smith, who signed a two-way contract with the Pistons last week, will also miss summer league as he continues to rehab an ACL injury suffered while at UCLA in January.

Otherwise, the Pistons should have a pretty stacked roster. Cunningham, Hayes, Saddiq Bey, Sekou Doumbouya, Luka Garza and Balsa Koprivica are all expected to attend. Koprivica is expected to join the team after the NBA clears Detroit’s trade with the Charlotte Hornets.

Saben Lee and Frank Jackson, who were tendered qualifying offers last week and currently are in restricted free agency limbo, could also join. The summer league team will be coached by assistant coach JD DuBois.

“This is an exciting time for our team because we are such a young team,” Casey said. “There is such a large amount of teaching to be done, which we didn’t have last year. We missed the summer. So we got a lot of teaching juices pent up.”

Comment

Working...
                                X