Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    For reference, all the tanking Philly did in the seven seasons they started it they still have never surpassed the playoff level they reached the season before they started with conference semis. I don't think that roster as currently constructed is a championship contender, they may be able to get to the finals but that is it. And they are looked on as a success of tanking.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Again, you say trade Griffin but all the money is spent and he's still here. A week later your take has the benefit of impossibility. You can always be right because it's extremely unlikely to happen. Now you have the luxury of saying, "they should have followed my advice and tanked" for the next couple years.

In the top several picks of the NBA draft is where you find your stars.

Again is this actually true? Giannis was drafted 15th, Kawhi drafted 15th, Paul George drafted 10th, Jimmy Butler drafted 30th, Tobias Harris 19th pick, Klay Thompson 11th pick. Were you advocating rigging' for Wiggins? Pre-Kevin Garnett, the top several picks were much more valuable because very player had a few years experience in college and you had ready made players. Its kind of a crapshoot now. In that Wiggins draft, it was supposed to be "the draft", you had Jabari Parker, Embiid and Wiggins were the can't miss top 3. Only Embiid has accomplished anything and he cannot stay healthy. Yes you would rather have one of the top picks but if you averaged out the draft position of the 2019 All NBA teams, the average draft position is 10th. That's with Blake(#1) and Westbrook(#3) in that equation.

When you say aging, most stars are near your aging age when they win a title. There is no guarantee you are able to keep this great player you secured with one of the top several picks if you have deliberately tanked your team to acquire these picks. Then you will get accused of not being able to surround the player with a good team. Yeah no shit,I've just sabotaged the team for years.

If the team is out of contention, but all means do all you can to tank the rest of the season. But pulling the chute on multiple seasons is stupid. Again, the Sixers are not really championship quality.
      Last edited by froot loops; July 10, 2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• We're talking championships though. They need to be a championship contender right now, that's what the tanking was for. Make no mistake Tobias Harris was re-signing with them for that bloated, unbelievable contract. He played in Detroit for a few years, he never appeared to be worth 180 million dollars. Ben Simmons has hit precisely 0 three pointers in his career, he can't shoot. People give Westbrook a hard time for shooting 30 percent from the arc, how about 0 percent?

Comment

• Froot you're just arguing to hear your own voice now. I'm actually hoping we get Westbrook so you can see what a friggin mess it will be when we don't win and we give up all our expiring contracts for a 35 year old ball hogging PG @ 49 mil a year.

It'll make the Cabrera's contract look like a bargain.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Here's the thing for me. It's more than obvious that Gores isn't going to tank. With that in mind, why not take a shot at lightning in a bottle. Yeah, it could fizzle out in a few years, but that's why you draft and (hopefully) develop Kennard, Brown, Doumbouya,Svi, Khyri Thomas, Sirvydis, Bone, etc... As Griffin and RW's talent starts to fade, the young guys should be coming into their own. It's not exactly conventional team building but it could work.

As currently constituted the Pistons are like a car right off the assembly line with everything but spark plugs. They need that other guy (aside from Griffin) who isn't going to drop his head when things are going bad.

I just wouldn't give up Kennard, Svi or Doumbouya. The 2020 1st should be higher so that would be a good year to give up a first. And maybe even next year's to sweeten the deal.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
              Froot you're just arguing to hear your own voice now. I'm actually hoping we get Westbrook so you can see what a friggin mess it will be when we don't win and we give up all our expiring contracts for a 35 year old ball hogging PG @ 49 mil a year.

It'll make the Cabrera's contract look like a bargain.
              People exaggerate (it's really $47 mil right? But to hale with it. Let's say $50). But in THAT year is when a team that needs to get the cap relief for the next year will come and offer a crap load of talent and picks to clear nearly $50 mil off their cap. And he won't be here then. That doesn't worry me in the least. The 3 years prior would be the issue if he had some terrible career ending type injury.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Certainly not arguing to hear my own voice, jad hasn't said what team is taking Griffin's contract now. Was jad "Riggin for Wiggins" back in the day. Philly has a PG that doesn't take jump shots and hasn't hit a 3 in his career.

I'm not a big Westbrook fan, but to call him a ball hog is false, he's led the league in assists.the last two years over 10 a game. He loves hero ball but he does pass the ball. Over his career Reggie Jackson averages 4.4 APG and had 4.2 APG last year. Westbrooks contract is an anchor, but I'd rather have his contract than Tobias Harris at 5 years and 180 million for the "Bright Skies" 76ers. Did you remember Tobias Harris as a Piston?

Comment

• F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• You are acting like the expiring deals they have are some sort of great asset, what are you going to do with them?

Comment

• From what I understand, two of the first round picks the Thunder got from the Clippers in the PG trade are Miami picks. Why would they trade Westbrook to them and theoretically worsen the value of those picks by making the Heat better?
                      Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• If the Heat are the only ones that really offer anything of value, they might accept it just to get the contract off their books.

Comment

• Gores's entire mission statement is "delay the inevitable and fight for the 8-seed."

Comment

• The Thunder want a couple of players, OKC isn't going to deal Westbrook to a place he doesn't want to go to. Yeah if Miami is the only suitor willing to offer anything of value other than salary cap relief then they get him.

Comment

• Surprised people still give a shit about the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by FVD View Post
                                From what I understand, two of the first round picks the Thunder got from the Clippers in the PG trade are Miami picks. Why would they trade Westbrook to them and theoretically worsen the value of those picks by making the Heat better?
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X