Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd round guy sounds whatever ... just going by Wake Forest
    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Mid 30s shooter from range... good wingspan, can stretch the court, really sketchy defense.

It's something, I suppose.

Comment

• I've been slowly talking myself into the Holland pick, and that no matter who the pick was, this team needs to make a ton of moves to have anything resembling a functional squad.

Now let's see if Langdon has the nuts to actually make them. There's a lot of redundant skill sets to filter through, and Holland doesn't help that at all.

Comment

• The Holland draft choice unexpectedly put a smile on my face at the time. Certainly a swing for the fences in a draft that’s going to end up highly unpredictable with who works out. No idea.

We’re going to need the new shooting guru to work some miracles. If he can fix one of Ivey, Thompson, or Holland (such as Herb Jones) … that’s a big win considering their physical tools. The future two Pistons max contracts will hopefully go to Cade and one of the other high draft picks actually working out.

As for free agency… any long term huge financial commitment to Tobias Harris has me depressed thinking about it. You’re just waving the white flag for playoff winning potential with that kind of move due to committing to a bad/ old asset. I’m rooting for the Pistons to successfully take on bad contracts like Utah and OKC in recent years. Something that incompetent ‘smartest man in the room’ Troy Weaver couldn’t figure out. Build up your assets so that a trade can be made in a year or two. Yeah, adding a veteran or two rotational player might help the development of the young players. Don’t be reckless this year given the options. I wanted Jalen Brunson 2 years ago. Last year was Cam Johnson. Not really much this year…​
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Quentin Grimes traded to Dallas for THJ and 3 second round picks. A salary dump for Dallas, but THJ can shoot and not play defense but he should help a lot better than Joe Fucking Harris.

A lot of the Piston die hards don't like the trade because they really like Grimes.

Comment

• There are only so many bad contracts you can take on in one year, so you are probably going to see one of the old guys come back like Tobias Harris, KCP or Andre Drummond.

I expect Holland and/or Thompson seeing some time with the Motor City Cruise. What they did with Thompson last year with baptism by fire as a spacer was nuts.

Comment

• At least Hardaway is in the last year of his deal...This coming season is pretty much lost anyway so not a bad move and he can play a little so its not like Joe Harris....Hopefully Trajan does a better job setting the team up for the future than Troy Weaver did.

Comment

• Yeah a lot of the criticism is they traded Grimes and people think Grimes is a better player now and for the long term. But the fact is he wasn't good last year and was hurt. THJ can help with the spacing and he is a veteran. Grimes was young and they have way too many young players to develop at once.

Comment

• The only only only thing I like about that meh trade is that it means they don't even have to think about whether to extend Grimes. I guess THJ might have some trade deadline value as an expiring too

Comment

• Man Dejounte Murray for traded to the Pelicans for not much. Too bad the Pistons couldn't get in on that

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                        The Holland draft choice unexpectedly put a smile on my face at the time. Certainly a swing for the fences in a draft that’s going to end up highly unpredictable with who works out. No idea.

We’re going to need the new shooting guru to work some miracles. If he can fix one of Ivey, Thompson, or Holland (such as Herb Jones) … that’s a big win considering their physical tools. The future two Pistons max contracts will hopefully go to Cade and one of the other high draft picks actually working out.

As for free agency… any long term huge financial commitment to Tobias Harris has me depressed thinking about it. You’re just waving the white flag for playoff winning potential with that kind of move due to committing to a bad/ old asset. I’m rooting for the Pistons to successfully take on bad contracts like Utah and OKC in recent years. Something that incompetent ‘smartest man in the room’ Troy Weaver couldn’t figure out. Build up your assets so that a trade can be made in a year or two. Yeah, adding a veteran or two rotational player might help the development of the young players. Don’t be reckless this year given the options. I wanted Jalen Brunson 2 years ago. Last year was Cam Johnson. Not really much this year…​
                        Troy Weaver was the dumbest guy in the room.

He cleared the roster of the dead wood from before, the Detroit Pistons books were clean, he had money to burn, and he ends up more or less helping out the New York Knicks his first year here with the 1st round pick that we can't control until 2029, I think.

And, he never found talent in the 2nd round or UDFA, as teams like Miami, Denver, and others have done in the past few years. Heck, the Joker was a 2nd round pick for Denver in '14!

As long as our new POBO is now thinking of what current NBA players need to be, and drafts/develops accordingly, we can get back to being relevant again faster than any of us would think. Even if Wemby was our pick last year, I'd still fire Weaver after this past season, because we have been worse each year he was the GM.
                        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• So it’s been reported that James Borrego has “removed himself from consideration” for the Pistons HC job. Don’t know whether he would have gotten the job or not, but that’s that. Unless they decide to hire former Cavs HC JB Bickerstaff, it looks like the next coach will be a first time NBA head coach.

Comment

• Could be a lot of reasons for that. Maybe they're hiring somebody else and wanted to let him save face. Maybe he didn't want Vinson. Who knows

Comment

• Well forget what I said yesterday…

Comment

• A hire that makes sense with where the Pistons currently are in this endless cycle of a rebuild. They need to bridge the gap between dumpster fire and some relevancy. Young players growing up internally. Bickerstaff did that with the Cavs and Garland + Mobley. I didn’t expect the Cavs to achieve anything more than a 2nd RD exit. Yeah, their fans might say Bickerstaff wasn’t the best at adjustments. Not a worry for the Pistons until they make the playoffs. There’s only a handful of great / proven NBA coaches anyways and obviously that wasn’t realistic… unless one of you think the Pistons should have tried an unproven assistant coach.
                                I wanted James Borrego, but can understand why he would be hesitant on selecting his next HC job. It also makes some sense for people to say this is reminiscent of the Casey hire. There might be some similarities, but it ultimately comes down to roster improvements. Casey never had a chance with that situation. Hopefully a combination of internal growth and roster tweaks help turn this around. We’ll see what Langdon does differently…

Free agency negotiation period starts in 2 hours. Let the fun begin… Nothing long term for Tobias Harris please!
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X