No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree. That story is one of the stupidest things I've heard in awhile. Weaver is in over his head. Lucky for him Gores is even more over his head.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2023/...stons-bad-luck
      Pick Up The Phone, Troy

Which young player can our Detroit Pistons get for flipping the fifth overall pick?

:
      Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports

De’Andre Hunter

Fresh off signing a 4-year, $90 million extension, Hunter averaged 15.4 points per game and finally crested the 65-game plateau for the Atlanta Hawks last year. With a new head of the front office, a new-ish head coach, replacements already on the roster in Saddiq Bey and AJ Griffin, and the Hawks needing to pay Dejounte Murray, I could easily envision Hunter’s name being mentioned in trade rumors this offseason.

Although he had a few very intriguing moments in Atlanta’s first-round loss to the Boston Celtics, Hunter has overall been slightly disappointed (and oft-injured) for the Hawks. But when healthy, his defensive tools and ability to hit shots make him a good fit for the Pistons, and that extension locks him in at a number that looks reasonable for a good starter (and will look even better after the new media deal bumps the cap up).
      Ed Szczepanski-USA TODAY Sports

Jonathan Kuminga

Kuminga, the 7th overall pick in 2021, was in the rotation for the Golden State Warriors during the regular season, averaging 12 points per game and shooting 45% from 3 in 23 minutes a night in the calendar year 2023. Then, during the Warriors’ playoff run, he couldn’t get off the bench for Steve Kerr, despite his size and athleticism looking sorely needed in their second-round matchup.

You hear not-so-low rumblings that Kuminga was unhappy with being out of the playoff rotation after playing relatively well during the regular season. With a financial avalanche approaching, would the Warriors want to kick the can down the road a little bit, flipping Kuminga for a slightly cheaper (and Happier With His Role) player at five overall?
      Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

Jabari Smith Jr.

Okay, sure, this one’s a reach.

The Houston Rockets are also hurting right now, going from the second-best odds at Wemby to the fourth overall pick. But could trading Smith Jr, who had a relatively disappointing season for a top-3 overall pick, enable them to get a little nuts and take both Amen and Ausar Thompson? Houston seems to really prioritize explosive athleticism and creativity, and the Thompsons have that in bunches. Would the Rockets have interest in developing both twins together, and would they be willing to part with Jabari to do it?

For his part, as an alleged stretch big with defensive chops, Jabari would fit in very well with what the Pistons are already doing; playing lineups with multiple big men and figuring things out from there. I personally like Jabari better than any prospect the Pistons could get at 5 in this year’s draft.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I’m surprised the Pistons haven’t hired a head coach by now given the finalists that we were told. It’s not like these coaches are hot commodities for other openings.

That tells me the Pistons are waiting for something else or these choices are truly underwhelming to Gores… which makes sense when Ollie is allegedly the top guy. 🙄
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I guess I don't understand the potential Ollie hire. What are they trying to accomplish with this hire? To me this is the time where you hire the guy with attention to details and is somewhat of a taskmaster.

Comment

• I don’t know. Want to say the idea gives me Jim Tomsula vibes. Probably a good players coach, but questions when it comes to Xs and Os. Along with the question if he’s even qualified for the job. When the Pistons are the only team interested, that’s a red flag.

Maybe the players would like Ollie and he would have insight into which (Amen vs Ausar) Thompson to draft. Meh!

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Supposedly, at least according to the rumor mill, is that Gores has nixed Ollie as a head coach option, and possibly shot down all three "finalists."

Comment

• Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Comment

• Weaver was good at getting rid of bloated bad contracts 😊

Comment

• Ollie to me actually makes sense. He was a very capable coach at UCONN. He is thought of as a culture changer highly praised by Durant as showing the young kids in OKC how to be a professional. Granted it was as a player but he did have that rep.

Part of the reason, you have a long gap in his coaching is that when UCONN fired him they decided he wasn't owed any money and Ollie sued them. That took several years to settle.

Idk, I like the background he has. He has a long career in the NBA but was not drafted and had to grind for 2 years in other leagues before he got an NBA shot. Was always thought of as a heady defensive player. Has demonstrated he can win at a high level. Has some age but if they hit not do old that you couldn't get 10+ years.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Jazian Gortman, one of the NBA Draft prospects from Overtime Elite, thinks his former coach, and former UConn head coach, Kevin Ollie would succeed leading an NBA team.

A little fluffy but some good info there.
                      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• IT seems like Ollie is only in the running if they are considering one of the Thompson twins at 5 (whom he coached last year)

Comment

• Bleacher Report says the Pistons offered a big contract to Monty Williams but he turned it down. Not sure why the Pistons would say they decided not to pursue him after they didn’t get the #1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                            Bleacher Report says the Pistons offered a big contract to Monty Williams but he turned it down. Not sure why the Pistons would say they decided not to pursue him after they didn’t get the #1.
                            For the same reason you said, "Well fine! I didn't want to date you anyway!" after the hot girl in class shot you down when you asked her to prom.

Comment

• Oh wait. That was me.

Nevermind.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

For the same reason you said, "Well fine! I didn't want to date you anyway!" after the hot girl in class shot you down when you asked her to prom.
                                Ha!
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X