Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

That 04 team had an amazing collection of cohesive talent and hard working players. Yes Melo had way more talent than anyone of them but him learning the ropes from Tay, Sheed and Big Ben would have made him a completely different player.

Can you imagine the shit he’d have been in with Sheed or Big Ben for taking defensive plays off. There’s no way bro. He’d have learned how to be a professional in the best environment possible.

In Denver Melo had to be the savior ASAP. In Detroit he could have learned
    This morning on the Stephen A./Max show they did a whole segment on the "what if" the Pistons had taken Melo in 2003. If you can view it on YouTube you should. There was general agreement that Melo would have developed a better defensive capacity under Brown/Sheed/Wallace.

But my two takeaways were that 1. Melo would have been able to ease into becoming the star in Detroit, and that is just a better path for most rookies. the '04 Pistons were an exceptional team on defense and they could have used Melo"s polished offensive game. 2. That Melo would have tasted what it was like to win a championship and would have given that a higher priority in his decision-making for the rest of his career. Stephen A. broke a report in 2010 that the plan in Miami was for their big three to be LeBron, D Wade, and Melo. Ultimately, Melo took the money from Denver in 2007, and Chris Bosh was plan B. So Melo's career could have been two or three championships with Detroit and then more in Miami.

Comment

• LMFAO at the Melo talk. Melo would have been alienated in that locker room and LB wasn't wasting anymore time with him then Darko. If he was a terrible defender (and he was and is) he would have sat right in Darko's spot. You can't change a person from who they are at their core. Everyone looks at other people through the lens of themselves.

The guy they should have taken was Wade.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Ya, fuck Melo. He was a bitch.

All signs point to Bosh being the guy if we didn’t go Darko.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

This morning on the Stephen A./Max show they did a whole segment on the "what if" the Pistons had taken Melo in 2003. If you can view it on YouTube you should. There was general agreement that Melo would have developed a better defensive capacity under Brown/Sheed/Wallace.

But my two takeaways were that 1. Melo would have been able to ease into becoming the star in Detroit, and that is just a better path for most rookies. the '04 Pistons were an exceptional team on defense and they could have used Melo"s polished offensive game. 2. That Melo would have tasted what it was like to win a championship and would have given that a higher priority in his decision-making for the rest of his career. Stephen A. broke a report in 2010 that the plan in Miami was for their big three to be LeBron, D Wade, and Melo. Ultimately, Melo took the money from Denver in 2007, and Chris Bosh was plan B. So Melo's career could have been two or three championships with Detroit and then more in Miami.
          What would have REALLY happened in this "What If" scenario...

Melo is immediately buried behind Prince on the depth chart, his lack of desire on defense being cited as the main reason (even though the bigger one being Brown deferred to veteran play first and foremost). Melo then decides he has no desire to play for the Pistons and he either busts out of the league entirely or eventually finds his career form with another team.

Comment

• I think it would have been Melo if not Darko ... Melo only refused to work out cuz the Pistons were taking Darko. Possible it could've been Bosh even still, tho

The real issue is that if the Pistons draft either of those guys, who knows if Dumars even gets Sheed
            WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• He didn't have to give up much for him.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Yeah that’s true but Forsh brings up a solid point. Everyone could see the Pistons were a solid contender but they were missing a piece. If Melo is on that team it’s more cloudy
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• But then again, if we don’t trade for Sheed, Okur then steps into an expanded role and we’re able to keep Okur and Melo.

Darko was useless
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Maybe Darko was a good water boy.
                    I wouldn’t mess around with the hypothetical because it’s the only championship for the big three (Lions, Pistons, Tigers) since the Bad Boys in 1990. Gladly take the champ.

Livers signed a 3 year contract with the Pistons. OLD NEWS. I missed that news when it happened. Similar contract to Saben Lee.
                    Love to see it.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• There's not a big three and the Red Wings. For about 15 years the Red Wings drew the most out of any of the Detroit sports teams, there was nothing like it. In terms of rankings the Pistons have always been the number 4 team in Detroit.

Comment

• Ah yes, a big fish in the smallest pond. Congrats about that.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ut-sources-say

Brooklyn Nets trade DeAndre Jordan to Detroit Pistons, who plan to seek buyout, sources say

Friday, September 3, 2021

Sources: DeAndre Jordan intends to sign with Los Angeles Lakers after completion of buyout

By Adrian Wojnarowski
                          ESPN

DeAndre Jordan intends to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers upon completion of a buyout with the Detroit Pistons, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Jordan was traded by the Brooklyn Nets to the Pistons earlier Friday along with four second-round picks and $5.78 million for Jahlil Okafor and Sekou Doumbouya, sources said.

An All-Star in 2017, Jordan has two years and $20 million left on the four-year, $40 million contract he signed in June 2019. He would have to first clear waivers to become a free agent.

The trade allows the Nets to save $47 million in salary and luxury tax. They will send the Pistons their 2022 and 2027 second-round picks along with the more favorable 2024 second-rounder between the Washington Wizards and Memphis Grizzlies and the more favorable 2025 second-rounder between the Wizards and Golden State Warriors, sources said.

Trading Jordan's contract instead of buying it out offers the Nets financial relief in the short term, but also in the future with the repeater tax penalty starting in 2023.

Brooklyn had the option of waiving and stretching the $19.7 million owed on Jordan's deal over five seasons; that would've represented a $3.9 million cap hit that would've lingered on the team's books from 2021 to 2025. The move could have saved the Nets money on their luxury tax bill for the next two years but cost them an extra $20 million in 2023-24, and could've reached $50 million in 2024-25 and 2025-26.

The Nets are also bringing back LaMarcus Aldridge after he was cleared of the heart concerns that led him to retire in April.

It is not immediately clear whether the Nets will keep Okafor or Doumbouya or decide to waive them, sources said. That is expected to determined in the coming days and weeks. The Nets are planning to waive forward Alize Johnson, sources said.

Jordan was part of the Nets' free-agent class in 2019 that included Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. Initially, Jordan alternated starting at center with Jarrett Allen, who was eventually traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers as part of the four-team deal that landed the Nets All-NBA guard James Harden. Once the Nets acquired Blake Griffin, Jordan's role diminished.

The 33-year-old Jordan averaged 7.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in 57 games last season in Brooklyn.

Okafor, 25, averaged 5.4 points and 2.4 rebounds in 27 games last season, missing more than two months after undergoing left knee surgery. Doumbouya, 20, averaged 5.1 points and 2.6 rebounds in 56 games.

ESPN's Malika Andrews and Bobby Marks contributed to this report.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just hope that Sekou doesn't end up like Khris Middleton, who has torched Detroit for years since we foolishly traded him to Milwaukee years ago.
                          "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Hello strangers! With the craziness of the last year and a half, the Lions not inspiring much to post, and me moving this bookmark off my top bar, I just haven't been in here. It's been about a year.

With that said, I'm back with another invite.

My annual Pistons Over/Under Contest is available to enter here: [Pistons Over/Under Contest](https://7b7434d20e00-004870.vbulleti...r-and-cheesier)
                            We had a fun panel discussion podcast last night, as I revealed the categories and got various opinions from some popular people on "Pistons Twitter" (K-Stat being one of them. He's been doing great stuff on that platform).

This year, the winner will get 2 seats to a Pistons game next year (not likely to be great seats, as it comes out of my pocket) and a $50 gift certificate to 24th Cheesecakerie. It costs nothing to enter. You just have to create an account for the Pistons Forum Website and enter your picks in the thread.

If you do enter, and are on Twitter, please include your handle, so I can follow you there and let you know how you're doing as the season goes on and Over/Unders get determined.

Comment

• Stop trying to come around and peddle your shit
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Im kidding! I’ll join and great hear from you
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X