Tracking former Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Rod son in law is still in the game? Wob Parker has the he only has a job cuz he’s white article good to go
      Forever One!

Comment

• DC of the 0-16 “worst defense in NFL history” Detroit Lions.
        Only received that job because he is Rod Marinelli’s son-in-law.

Congrats Packers. Enjoy this one. Too bad Jim Leonhard turned down the job... too bad.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Just popped into my mind ... I'm happy for Suh. Yeah he left the Lions so what. Great career, still a solid player ... never missed a game due to injury in his NFL career. That's incredible after 11 seasons of tough line play. Goes to show that college injuries don't always predict NFL injuries
          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• But Suh is rare in many ways.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• He’s still playing to a very high level considering his age. He’s charging around out there like he’s on his rookie contract.

Comment

• Eh? Suh played 52 straight games at Nebraska, starting 51 after his freshman redshirt for a knee injury. I think any questions had been long answered.

Comment

• He's on a roll. Let him go
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I’d have liked to bring him home to spend one last season ragdolling Rodgers around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                      Eh? Suh played 52 straight games at Nebraska, starting 51 after his freshman redshirt for a knee injury. I think any questions had been long answered.
                      Yeah ur right. For some reason I thought he had multiple knee problems at Nebraska. Oh well
                      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                        But Suh is rare in many ways.
                        Suh has at least learned to be a lot more subtle in going for the knockout blow to the back of the head. He didn't wind up like he did earlier in his career, but you could still see his forearm going for the back of Mahomes head on that one sack. Most people go for the wrap up, Suh goes for the forearm shiver.

Comment

• I meant to post this yesterday. RIP Coach Marty

Marty Schottenheimer dies at 77

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 9, 2021, 9:39 AM EST
                          Getty Images

Marty Schottenheimer, who led NFL teams for 21 seasons and earned 200 regular season wins, has died at the age of 77.

Schottenheimer was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2014 and had been ailing for the last several years of his life.

As head coach in Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer had just two losing seasons in his 21 years as a head coach and finished with a regular season record of 200-126-1. He was less successful in the playoffs, going 5-13 in the postseason and never reaching the Super Bowl.

Schottenheimer was known for his old-school coaching mentality, physical practices, and emphasizing a sound running game and a good defense. His style was sometimes called Martyball.

Schottenheimer grew up in Pennsylvania and played his college ball at the University of Pittsburgh. He was selected in both the NFL draft and AFL draft in 1965 and ended up playing six seasons in the AFL, first for the Bills and then for the Patriots. As a rookie he was chosen to the AFL All-Star Team. After a retirement that lasted from 1971 to 1973, Schottenheimer first got into coaching as an assistant with the Portland Storm of the World Football League in 1974.

After stints as an assistant with the Giants, Lions and Browns, Schottenheimer became interim head coach of the Browns during the 1984 season. In all four of his full seasons as the Browns’ head coach Cleveland made the playoffs, but the failure to reach the Super Bowl (thanks in part to back-to-back losses to John Elway’s Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship Game) led to his firing after the 1988 season.

The Chiefs hired Schottenheimer in 1989 and he again turned the team around, lasting 10 seasons in Kansas City, but the Chiefs again couldn’t get over the hump and topped out at the AFC Championship Game. In 2001 Schottenheimer spent one year in Washington but clashed with owner Dan Snyder and left after one 8-8 season. The next year Schottenheimer took over the Chargers and lasted five seasons in San Diego. In his final season he went 14-2, but a loss to the Patriots in the first game of the 2006 playoffs got him fired for the final time.

Several men who would become successful NFL head coaches, including Bruce Arians, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Mike McCarthy and Herm Edwards, coached under Schottenheimer.

His survivors include his wife of 54 years, Pat, two children including longtime coach Brian Schottenheimer, and other relatives including brother and former NFL coach Kurt Schottenheimer.

Comment

• Urban Meyer: Darrell Bevell had the best interview; Brett Favre endorsed him, too

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 12, 2021, 8:53 AM EST

Getty Images

The Jaguars are expected to select Trevor Lawrence with the No. 1 overall pick in the upcoming draft. The team even sent out video footage on social media of head coach Urban Meyer, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, and passing game coordinator Brian Schottenheimer boarding a private plane to attend Lawrence’s throwing session on Friday — taking advantage of the enthusiasm surrounding the selection.

Because Meyer isn’t calling plays, offensive coordinator was one of the most important for the head coach’s first NFL staff. During his Thursday press conference, Meyer gave a couple reasons for why he felt like Bevell is the right man for the job.

He didn’t know Bevell personally, but got to know him during the process. And Bevell received an endorsement from a Hall of Fame quarterback.

“The amount of people we interviewed was as many as I’ve really ever done,” Meyer said. “His interview was by far the best. His ability to adapt to my vision of the offense, which is a little different than maybe he’s done in the past, the flexibility and not rigidness, that was very important to me because we do have the first pick in the draft and there is a vision that I have about the style of offense. I’m certainly not going to call plays — that’s his responsibility. But I have a real clear vision of what I want the offense to look like.

“And by the way, Brett Favre — I called I don’t know, 10 people about Darrell — and Brett Favre, who I’ve known for quite some time, when he made a comment [saying], ‘That’s as good a coach as he’s ever been around, and by the way I had my best year with him in Minnesota.’ And he said, ‘Hire the guy.’ Brett Favre, the respect I think we all have for him, I listened closely.”

Bevell helped coach Favre in Green Bay from 2000-2005, first as the assistant quarterbacks coach and then the full-time quarterbacks coach. He was then Favre’s offensive coordinator from 2009-2010 with the Vikings.

Bevell also has developing Russell Wilson on his resume, having been the Seahawks’ OC from 2011-2017. Whatever Meyer’s vision for the offense is — presumably with Lawrence behind center — Bevell will have a lot of responsibility for getting it right.

Comment

• Bucs Hope To Re-Sign Ndamukong Suh

February 11th, 2021 at 10:42pm CST by Zach Links

Ndamukong Suh will be free to sign with any team in March. Buccaneers GM Jason Licht hopes that the defensive lineman will stay put.

I think he’s said it, that’d he’d love to come back here,” Licht said (via Mark Cook of Pewter Report). “I know that there’s mutual respect for each other, and I’ve told him that we’d like to have him back. We’re just kind of letting the dust settle here for a couple days. We’ve got some time here. You never hit utopia, I guess, unless you win the Super Bowl, but a lot of things we want to try to do, I’m hoping we can do. We’ll have to see how it all shakes out, but he’s definitely one that we want back.”

Suh joined Tampa on a one-year, $9.25MM deal in 2019. They re-upped him last year for a touch less — a one–year, $8MM deal. Suh may be past his prime, but he still garnered the interest of teams, including the Cowboys, last time around. Suh responded with six sacks — his highest total since 2015 — and 27 total stops in the regular season.

Of course, the Bucs will have to weigh their affinity for Suh against their all around numbers crunch, Fellow front seven cast members Shaquil Barrett and Lavonte David are also set for free agency, and Barrett wants to break the bank. On the other side of the ball, Rob Gronkowski, Leonard Fournette, Chris Godwin, and Antonio Brown are all slated to hit the open market.

Comment

• Adrian Peterson still hopes to catch Emmitt Smith’s rushing record

Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2021, 3:37 PM EST

Getty Images

He turns 36 next month. And he’s not yet ready to surrender his quest to catch Emmitt Smith for the NFL’s career rushing record.

Adrian Peterson reiterated his longstanding desire to (1) win a Super Bowl and (2) catch Smith’s record in recent remarks to TMZ.com.

“I’m going to keep playing, trying to chase the championship and, God’s willing, within the process of doing that, I’m able to catch Emmitt and pass him,” Peterson said.

Peterson said the same thing in August, when he was on Washington’s roster. He was cut and landed with Detroit on a one-year deal.

Peterson has 14,820 rushing yards, putting him fifth on the all-time list. He’s 449 yards behind Hall of Famer Barry Sanders, and 1,180 behind Frank Gore, who has exactly 16,000 rushing yards. And Peterson is 3,535 behind Smith.

“I want to live to be a 40-year-old back out there rushing for 1,500 yards and amazing people still,” Peterson said.

He had 604 rushing yards in 2020 with Detroit, on 156 carries. The challenge for Peterson will be continuing to find opportunities to be on a team and, when on a team, enough carries to rack up enough yards to catch Smith.

If Peterson can play through the year in which he turns 40, he’d need to average 707 yards per season to catch Smith. It’s not clear which feat would be more impressive; playing through the year in which Peterson turns 40 or averaging that many yards per season at the ages of 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40.

Peterson has one thing working in his favor: The expected addition of a 17th regular-season game gives him five more total games through his self-imposed career deadline. Instead of averaging 44.2 rushing yards per game, he’d need only 41.5.

It’s impossible to bet against Peterson’s raw determination and will. But if he’s not on an NFL roster and/or not on the field and/or not getting carries, he’ll have a very hard time catching Emmitt Smith.

Peterson likely has a much better chance of getting his first career Super Bowl appearance and win. He already has said he’d like to join Tom Brady in Tampa Bay.

Comment

Working...
                                X