No announcement yet.

Tracking former Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad he kept the Lions name out of his mouth...

Anthony Lynn: 49ers resources, willingness to win are different than what I experienced with Chargers

Posted by Myles Simmons on January 18, 2023, 10:25 AM EST

Getty Images

The Chargers fired former head coach Anthony Lynn after the team finished the 2020 season 7-9, which gave him a 33-31 record over four seasons.

After a brief stint as the Lions’ offensive coordinator last year, Lynn landed with the 49ers in 2022 as the club’s assistant head coach and running backs coach.

San Francisco could be on the way to a Super Bowl appearance while the Chargers are on the hunt for a new offensive coordinator after blowing a 27-0 lead to the Jaguars in the wild card round.

Lynn said in an interview with Sam Farmer of the L.A. Times that the organization he’s with now is better set up for success.

“This organization will do whatever it takes to win,” Lynn said. “Resources out the [ears]. That was different for me compared to what I was going through in L.A. So it’s just like, man, this is what it’s supposed to be like. I forgot how that felt.”

Notably, the 49ers made a midseason trade for running back Christian McCaffrey, who has been a key piece for a 49ers team that hasn’t lost since late October.

Lynn’s coaching tenure didn’t work out with the Chargers. But after winning a pair of Super Bowl rings as a player under head coach Mike Shanahan with the Broncos, he may get his first as a coach with Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I was just reading that D Raiola’s kid is the #1 ranked HS prospect in the ‘24 class.

Comment

• Patriots Rumors: Matt Patricia Might Leave New England After All

​It feels like a virtual certainty that Matt Patricia won’t be calling offensive plays for the Patriots in 2023. New England didn’t announce plans to interview offensive coordinators because it wants Patricia to keep the role he failed in this season.

However, many assume Patricia won’t be fired, but rather moved back into a front-office role or reassigned as a full-time offensive line coach. Team radio broadcaster Scott Zolak indicated as much this week.

But a new report suggests otherwise.

“There is uncertainty about at least whether Matt Patricia is here on the staff next year,” Boston Sports Journal’s Greg Bedard said during Tuesday’s episode of 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Felger & Mazz” show. “That his Detroit Lions contract is at the end; that means that the Patriots would have to draw up an entirely new contract for him.

“I have a hard time seeing this. I don’t know how he goes from being attached to Bill Belichick at the league meetings and everything to suddenly not here anymore. And maybe it’s better off for Patricia to go someplace else and forge his own way. … But I think there’s the possibility that Patricia’s not here at all.”​

Bedard also cast doubt on a recent report that it would be “an upset” if Bill O’Brien isn’t tabbed as the Patriots’ new offensive coordinator.

“The whole O’Brien situation, as to whether he’s coming or not … I don’t think it’s that assured,” said Bedard, who last weekend reported O’Brien isn’t “gung-ho” about the job unless he’s given certain assurances.

The Patriots last Thursday said they are nearing a contract extension with defensive assistant Jerod Mayo and that they would interview OC candidates in the coming days. As of Wednesday morning, there were no updates on Mayo’s situation or on coaching interviews.

Some believe Matt Patricia could take a front office job or coach O-line for the Patriots in 2023, but a new report indicates otherwise.
        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Hey Matt Patricia:

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
          I was just reading that D Raiola’s kid is the #1 ranked HS prospect in the ‘24 class.
          I saw that Jim Harbaugh talked to Raiola. It would be a bizarre experience seeing Rollover’s son starting at QB for the Wolverines one day… (seems unlikely though).
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Jim Schwartz: Accountability will be big part of “secret sauce” of Browns defense

Posted by Josh Alper on January 19, 2023, 8:49 AM EST

Getty Images

The Browns introduced Jim Schwartz as their new defensive coordinator at a press conference on Wednesday and he didn’t waste any time disabusing notions that the scheme he installs will be the key to better performances in 2023.

Schwartz said that “there’s probably not a whole lot that we’ll do here that a high school coach probably couldn’t draw up just as good” when it comes to scheme, but he highlighted where he believes he can effect change in Cleveland. There were multiple points during the regular season when players on the Browns defense appeared to be on different pages and that led to breakdowns that helped cost the team games.

On Wednesday, Schwartz said that increased accountability will be a focus of his first season in Cleveland.

“The secret sauce is getting guys playing together and that accountability that goes into it,” Schwartz said, via Chris Easterling of the Akron Beacon Journal. “I would say this, if I’m doing a good job, we’ll hold our best players the most accountable. And if you start from that position, then everything else is gravy.”

That accountability will continue up the line from the players because the Browns have missed the playoffs in two straight seasons and a third straight miss could cost head coach Kevin Stefanski his job in Cleveland.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Kenny Golladay on staying engaged: I wouldn’t be able to look myself in the mirror if I checked out

Posted by Charean Williams on January 18, 2023, 10:36 PM EST

Getty Images

Giants receiver Kenny Golladay complained earlier this season about a lack of playing time. Now, he’s a quiet contributor who has accepted his role, whatever that is.

Golladay played only four snaps Sunday, but he left an imprint with a crushing block on Vikings cornerback Duke Shelley that knocked out Shelley’s mouth guard. It sprung Saquon Barkley for a 10-yard catch-and-run.

“I think it’s all attitude at the end of the day,” Golladay said Wednesday, via Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News. “It’s a little different when you’re used to going out there making a whole bunch of plays. They normally cover the catches that you make.

“[But] me being in the position I am, anything good I do I think will be highlighted a little bit. And what’d I get four snaps last game? Out of those four, hopefully I am able to just leave my little stamp on it any little way. That’s all I can really do.”

The Giants’ previous regime signed Golladay to be a No. 1 receiver, giving him a four-year, $72 million deal in free agency before the 2021 season. The new coaching staff isn’t playing Golladay like even a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver, much less a No. 1.

Golladay’s 261 offensive snaps was sixth among the team’s receivers, and seven other wideouts on the team had more receptions than his career-low six and more receiving yards than his career-low 81.

He sounded off in Week 2 when he initially was benched, but since, Golladay quietly has done his job and whatever the Giants have asked. It could have gotten ugly. It didn’t.

“As far as checking out, I take a lot of pride in what I do,” Golladay said. “I wouldn’t be able to look myself in the mirror to just be checked out. I’ve got a lot of football left. The last name on my back, I take a lot of pride in that. That’s kind of what it boils down to. And then [it’s for] these guys in the locker room.”

Golladay has only $4.5 million in guaranteed money left on his deal, so his time with the Giants is coming to an end. It would have ended already if not for the $17.5 million in guaranteed money he had this year.

As long as he’s here, Golladay vows to do his part, whatever that is.

Comment

• I need to put some money on Miles Garret for DPOY. He might challenge the sack record playing for the Schwartz.

Comment

• IF, he doesn't get suspended for doing something dumb.

Comment

• Report: Patriots to interview Shawn Jefferson for offensive coordinator

Posted by Myles Simmons on January 19, 2023, 12:18 PM EST

Getty Images

Another candidate has emerged to be the Patriots’ next offensive coordinator.

New England will interview Shawn Jefferson for the position on Friday, according to Josina Anderson of CBS Sports.

Jefferson has spent the last two seasons as the Cardinals receivers coach, with associate head coach added to his title in 2022. He’s also spent time with the Lions, Titans, Dolphins, and Jets as a receivers coach.

But Jefferson is a former Patriot, having played four seasons for the club from 1996-1999. He led the league with 22.7 yards per reception in 1998. Head coach Bill Belichick was New England’s assistant head coach and defensive backs coach in 1996.

Jefferson’s son, Van, is a receiver for the Rams.

The Patriots are also expected to interview University of Oregon associate head coach and run game coordinator Adrian Klemm, Vikings receivers coach Keenan McCardell, and their own tight ends coach Nick Caley. Alabama offensive coordinator and former Patriots OC Bill O’Brien has also been connected to the role.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                      Jim Schwartz: Accountability will be big part of “secret sauce” of Browns defense

Posted by Josh Alper on January 19, 2023, 8:49 AM EST

Getty Images

The Browns introduced Jim Schwartz as their new defensive coordinator at a press conference on Wednesday and he didn’t waste any time disabusing notions that the scheme he installs will be the key to better performances in 2023.

Schwartz said that “there’s probably not a whole lot that we’ll do here that a high school coach probably couldn’t draw up just as good” when it comes to scheme, but he highlighted where he believes he can effect change in Cleveland. There were multiple points during the regular season when players on the Browns defense appeared to be on different pages and that led to breakdowns that helped cost the team games.

On Wednesday, Schwartz said that increased accountability will be a focus of his first season in Cleveland.

“The secret sauce is getting guys playing together and that accountability that goes into it,” Schwartz said, via Chris Easterling of the Akron Beacon Journal. “I would say this, if I’m doing a good job, we’ll hold our best players the most accountable. And if you start from that position, then everything else is gravy.”

That accountability will continue up the line from the players because the Browns have missed the playoffs in two straight seasons and a third straight miss could cost head coach Kevin Stefanski his job in Cleveland.
                      He put on sunglasses so CGVT can't call him a cross-eyed mofo.
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Yeah, that'll stop him.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                          Yeah, that'll stop him.
                          ONE (and I mean ONE!) step on CGVT's lawn and those eyes will be smacked straight! Hales, if he's close, he may get a 2-peice, free of charge

smacked slap gif GIF

Comment

• Dan Quinn, Darrell Bevell combination becomes intriguing option for Broncos

Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2023, 10:59 AM EST

Getty Images

As the Broncos commence the second round of interviews for their vacant head-coaching position, the loss by Dallas on Sunday makes Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn immediately available to be interviewed again (and again, if needed), and ultimately hired.

Quinn has become an intriguing option for the Broncos. It’s believed he’d target Darrell Bevell as his offensive coordinator. And it was Bevell who served as Seattle’s offensive coordinator during the best years of quarterback Russell Wilson‘s career with the Seahawks.

Bevell spent seven seasons in Seattle, 2011 through 2017. The team went to a pair of Super Bowls, winning one, with Bevell and Wilson working together. Bevell also served as offensive coordinator in Minnesota from 2006 through 2010, in Detroit from 2019 through 2020, and in Jacksonville for Urban Meyer’s ill-fated lone season of 2021.

In 2022, Bevell served as quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator for the Dolphins.

Of course, it’s possible that Wilson — who reportedly wants Sean Payton to coach the team — isn’t interested in a reunion with Bevell. But maybe he should be. With Quinn, a former Seahawks defensive coordinator bringing a Seattle-style approach to the defense, Bevell could take Wilson back to the future.

Which could make Bevell the best person to become Russell’s Denver density.

Comment

• Panthers to interview Kellen Moore on Tuesday

Posted by Josh Alper on January 24, 2023, 6:57 AM EST

Getty Images

Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore couldn’t help Dallas advance past the 49ers in the divisional round of the playoffs and that leaves him free to speak to other teams this week.

Moore will be spending some time on Tuesday with the Panthers. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Moore is set to interview for Carolina’s head coaching vacancy.

Moore played three seasons with the Cowboys before joining their coaching staff as their quarterbacks coach in 2018 and moved up to offensive coordinator the next season. He interviewed for head coaching jobs last year, but the Panthers are the first team to speak with him this offseason.

The Panthers interviewed former Saints head coach Sean Payton Monday. They have also interviewed their interim head coach Steve Wilks, former Colts head coach Frank Reich, former Lions head coach Jim Caldwell, Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen, Bills offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey, Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka, and Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero.

Comment

• With Bill O’Brien back, what’s next for Matt Patricia, Joe Judge?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2023, 7:45 PM EST

Getty Images

Matt Patricia is out as the Patriots offensive coordinator. Technically, he was never in.

Still, with Bill O’Brien officially returning as the offensive coordinator in both title and duties, Patricia doesn’t really have a job within the Patriots organization. So what happens next for him?

He landed in the position as, technically, senior football advisor/offensive line coach, a year after being a jack of all trades for coach Bill Belichick. That happened in part because, as one source explained it to PFT, there was no job available for Patricia on the defensive coaching staff.

Some have speculated that the Patriots never gave Patricia the title of offensive coordinator in order to justify paying him less, given that his buyout from the Lions ran through 2022. With Patricia getting his pay from his former head-coaching job minus earnings elsewhere, the less the Patriots pay him, the more he gets from Detroit.

He could potentially return to his 2021 role with the Patriots, when he did a little bit of everything for the team. He could leave for a job with another team.

He clearly has something to offer on the defensive side of the ball. Teams currently looking for coordinators would be wise to consider him. And if, for example, former Patriots assistant Brian Flores ends up as head coach of the Cardinals, maybe Flores would want Patricia to run the Arizona defense.

The same mindset applies to Joe Judge. The former Patriots special-teams coordinator and Giants head coach served as the quarterbacks coach in New England during the 2022 season. That development surprised people both inside and outside the organization.

If O’Brien wants his own quarterbacks coach, there quite possibly will be no spot for Judge. Unless he wants to get involved with special teams, again.

Regardless of how it plays out, O’Brien’s return supplants Patricia and Judge as the top two offensive minds in New England. Which, based on what happened in 2022, could make the offense considerably better in 2023.

Comment

Working...
                                X