No announcement yet.

Tracking former Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish the Lions did trade Calvin if he wanted that. Could have received a nice package in return.
    Doesn't bother me to see former Lions on other teams.
    Also think it would be nice if everyone moved on because seeing this pop up every couple of months is annoying. I don't care, stop bringing it up media people.

(Deleted this comment from the other thread and moved it here... the right spot for the conversation)
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Just thought of this now, but one thing is ironic from Calvin's speech. He thanks the Lions' fans and praises how they always showed up. Even when the Lions were 0-16, they showed up. Might have been disappointed, but never stopped showing up. Every week you showed up. "And this motivated me to do the same thing for you"

... until you quit and demanded to leave after getting a big signing bonus, right?

That's harsh, I know, but hey
      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
        I wish the Lions did trade Calvin if he wanted that. Could have received a nice package in return.
        Doesn't bother me to see former Lions on other teams.
        Also think it would be nice if everyone moved on because seeing this pop up every couple of months is annoying. I don't care, stop bringing it up media people.

(Deleted this comment from the other thread and moved it here... the right spot for the conversation)
        Hales yes on both statements. Everyone has a point but man, just didn't have to be this way if ownership stops acting like "Owners." Glad MS got what Barry and Megatron were not allowed. Maybe things are getting better.

Originally posted by Forsh View Post
        Just thought of this now, but one thing is ironic from Calvin's speech. He thanks the Lions' fans and praises how they always showed up. Even when the Lions were 0-16, they showed up. Might have been disappointed, but never stopped showing up. Every week you showed up. "And this motivated me to do the same thing for you"

... until you quit and demanded to leave after getting a big signing bonus, right?

That's harsh, I know, but hey
        Maybe we should quit and demand to leave if we don't get a big signing bonus

I am ready for this all to stop being brung up already though. It seems like two parties, a multi-millionaire and a billionaire upset over stuff we can't even imagine and here we are arguing over who is right or wrong.

(I'm right though)

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• We're all right

Comment

• Do we all get a Participation Trophy? I have a spot for it all picked out and everything. There'll be a press conference (attended by my 3 dogs; Polo, Coco and Chanelle) some time tomorrow.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Lastly. I really believe they (Fords) were afraid that Barry and/or Calvin would have went into the hall in another teams uni. And they would look terrible if they went elsewhere and won.

Comment

• Giants add Jake Hausmann, Chris Johnson

Posted by Myles Simmons on August 7, 2021, 5:55 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Giants added two players on Saturday, claiming tight end Jake Hausmann off waivers and signing defensive back Chris Johnson.

Hausmann signed with the Lions as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State in May. He appeared in 27 collegiate games, including five of the Buckeyes’ eight contests in his senior year of 2020. He made three career receptions for 26 yards. The Lions cut him on Friday.

Johnson entered the league back in 2019 with the Texans as an undrafted free agent. He also spent time with the Eagles that year. He subsequently signed with the Saints in early 2020 but was waived in early August.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                  Lastly. I really believe they (Fords) were afraid that Barry and/or Calvin would have went into the hall in another teams uni. And they would look terrible if they went elsewhere and won.
                  Lastly ... bwahaha

Comment

• Okay, IDK the bolded. That changes things a little. Regardless, it's done....

Report: Calvin Johnson turned down Lions’ offer of $500,000 a year for 28 hours of work

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 7, 2021, 3:27 PM EDT

Getty Images

Calvin Johnson, the Lions wide receiver who is being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this weekend, has been at odds with his former team since they exercised their right to force him to pay back $1.6 million of his signing bonus when he retired while still under contract. And a recent offer from the Lions didn’t make Johnson feel any better.

According Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the Lions sent Johnson a proposal to pay back the $1.6 million by paying him $500,000 a year for three years in exchange for Johnson doing 28 hours a year of work for the team, plus a one-time donation of $100,000 to Johnson’s foundation.

Johnson indicated that what he wants is simply to get back the $1.6 million he paid the Lions.

“I mean, it wasn’t what I paid back, put it like that. . . . So they’re not serious,” Johnson said. “That’s all.”

Johnson said it “didn’t help” that the Lions fired a team employee who is friends with Johnson because the employee provided documents to Johnson regarding the team’s offer. Johnson says the employee was just trying to smooth things over between the two sides.

The work the Lions wanted from Johnson would have entailed various promotional appearances, including five hours on the day the Lions plan to retire Johnson’s No. 81 jersey.

According to the report, the Lions wouldn’t be able to just fork over the money to Johnson without requiring promotional appearances or some other work from him, because the league audits teams’ payments to former players to ensure teams aren’t circumventing the salary cap.

So it appears that the Lions think they’ve made the most generous offer to Johnson that league rules will allow, while Johnson thinks that’s not sufficient. And so it’s not clear that the Lions’ relationship with one of their greatest players can be mended.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                      Do we all get a Participation Trophy? I have a spot for it all picked out and everything. There'll be a press conference (attended by my 3 dogs; Polo, Coco and Chanelle) some time tomorrow.
                      And your ducks Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, & Quack?
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

And your ducks Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, & Quack?
                        My daughter named them all (and her cat Calvin) after fragrances.

Comment

• Cardinals sign Darius Kilgo

Posted by Josh Alper on August 9, 2021, 4:40 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Cardinals have been active when it comes to roster changes over the last week and they continued making them on Monday.

The team announced the signing of veteran defensive tackle Darius Kilgo. The move comes a day after Xavier Williams was placed on injured reserve.

Kilgo spent time with the Lions, Patriots, and Broncos over the last two seasons, but last appeared in a game with the Titans during the 2018 season. He had five tackles in 11 games for Tennessee and 11 tackles in 18 games for the Broncos during the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

The Cardinals also brought Corey Peters back to their defensive line recently and Kilgo’s arrival gives them nine players vying for spots on their defensive front.

Comment

• Dude can't stay employed...

Eagles bring back Blake Countess, waive Obi Melifonwu

Posted by Josh Alper on August 9, 2021, 4:15 PM EDT

Getty Images

Monday brought a couple of changes to the Eagles secondary.

The team announced the signing of safety Blake Countess to the 90-man roster. Safety Obi Melifonwu was waived with an injury designation in a corresponding move.

Countess is a familiar face to the Eagles. He was a 2016 sixth-round pick in Philly who failed to make the team as a rookie, returned as a waiver claim for part of the 2019 offseason, and closed out last season with the team. He remained with the team until being released in March.

His only two regular season appearances for the team came in that 2020 stint. He’s also played 37 games for the Rams and six games for the Jets over the course of his career.

Melifonwu signed with the Eagles last month. His brother Ifeatu is trying to make the Lions after being drafted in the third round this year.

"Trying to make?" That's dumb. Dude just got drafted in the third round.

Comment

• Panthers sign Josh Bynes

Posted by Josh Alper on August 11, 2021, 10:55 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Panthers added a veteran linebacker ahead of this week’s joint practices with the Colts.

Josh Bynes has signed with the team. The Panthers also announced that they have activated safety Lano Hill from the practice squad and released him.

Bynes spent last season in Cincinnati and started all 16 games that the Bengals played. He had 99 tackles, a sack, and a fumble recovery in those appearances.

Bynes opened his career with the Ravens in 2011 and spent three years there before moving on to the Lions and Cardinals. He returned to Baltimore for the 2019 season and has 477 tackles, 5.5 sacks, four interceptions, three forced fumbles, and three fumble recoveries over his entire NFL career.

Comment

• Alright! Good for Nate! He is still a fan of Lions fans...

Nate Burleson becomes a co-host of CBS This Morning

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2021, 9:05 AM EDT

Getty Images

Retired football players are systematically taking over morning TV.

First, Hall of Fame defensive end Michael Strahan became a co-host of Good Morning America (after a stint as the replacement to Regis Philbin). Now, former receiver Nate Burleson will become a co-host of CBS This Morning, according to Stephen Battaglio of the Los Angeles Times.

Burleson will join Gayle King and Tony Dokoupil when they move to a new Times Square studio next month. Burleson, who caught the eye of producers when he served as a guest host in June during Dokoupil’s paternity leave, replaces Anthony Mason.

Burleson played for the Vikings, Seahawks, and Lions in an 11-year career that spanned 2003 through 2013.

Already a cast member on The NFL Today, Burleson now becomes a six-day-per-week CBS employee during football season. He also becomes the first original cast member of Good Morning Football to exit the show after five years on air. That could spark an interesting scramble within NFL Network as interested parties position themselves to replace Burleson, who was the only former NFL player on the program.

Comment

Working...
                                X