No announcement yet.

Movies - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw an interesting little movie Flash of Genius based on the true story of Robert Kearns who invented the intermittent windshield wiper which Ford Motor Co. stole from him. It took 12 years for him to finally get his day in court where he represented himself and won his case. Ford was ordered to pay him $10 million. Ford offered him $30 million the day before the case went to the jury on the condition they wouldn't have to admit they stole his idea but for Kearns, it wasn't about the money. It was about getting credit for his invention. His battle took a major toll on him and his family (he had 6 kids). He suffered a nervous breakdown and ultimately lost his wife to divorce but in the end gained redemption.
    "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• Spent the weekend visiting the in-laws and watched 2 movies.....

The first was SUENO, a 2005 flick starring John Leugazamo and Elizabeth Pena. It's about Mexican-American musicians in LA trying to make it big. Pretty good flick. Drama with some romance. No violence or nudity. A good family flick.

The second was W. the Oliver Stone movie about George W. Bush. I liked it and thought it was very entertaining and thought-provoking. My BIL kept making comments during the movie because he hates Bush!

I'm gonna vent a little right now so those who don't want to read this, scroll to the bottom:

I took the movie for what it was....a fictional account of his life & presidency with some factual stuff mixed in. My BIL swears the movie was made to show Bush in a positive light.

My BIL also swears that Clinton was a better Prez than Bush (debatable) but when I brought up all of the issues about Clinton & his presidency my BIL claimed ignorance but continued to defend Clinton.

At this point I told him that his he should keep his ingorant, illegal immigrant, young, ESL, fat mouth closed until he knows all the facts before arguing with someone much smarter and a legal resident of the US!

It kinda put a kibosh on the "quality family time" we were having. So we left.

Now, in fairness I don't know if he is an illegal alien, but everything else I called him is true!

Comment

• LOL. I'm pretty sure Oliver Stone is no "W" fan...
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• That rant belongs in the politics thread.
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Sorry Deb.

Comment

• Finally saw Wanted and it was so cool.

I saw a gut wrenching documentary called Dear Zachary. I don't have the energy to go into details right now. It was so good and took an unexpected turn that literally made me feel like I'd been punched in the stomach. If you like good documentaries, this is well worth watching.

Comment

• Ok, now that I've unwound from my tough day at the office, here's a description of the above mentioned documentary:

Filmmaker Kurt Kuenne's poignant tribute to his murdered childhood friend, Andrew Bagby, tells the story of a child custody battle between the baby's grieving grandparents and Shirley Turner, Bagby's pregnant ex-girlfriend and suspected killer. Initially, Kuenne made this documentary as a memorial for Andrew's loved ones, but it morphs into an emotional legal odyssey when Turner goes free on bail and is allowed to raise her son.

The accused murderer returned to her home in Newfoundland and the justice system failed all along the way to keep her in jail and extradite her to the U.S. to face murder charges. Andrew's parents amazingly maintained a relationship with this woman who killed their son in order to have visitation of their grandchild and try to obtain custody. The failure of the system had catastrophic consequences.

Comment

• That actually sounds interesting... My friend has been telling me to see this movie for a few months..
                  sigpic

Comment

• Finally saw Austraila. WOW!! What a great f'ing movie. What a great story.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Really? The trailers don't entice me.

Comment

• I don't want to build it up too much but I really liked it. It was long but very good. Movies these days forget about telling stories so they can keep churning them out to make the quick bucks.

Not this one.

I don't even really like Nicole Kidmen that much but she was excellent.
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I watched Kite Runner last night and wow was it touching. I found myself drawn into it like I was part of the story. Great movie.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I've seen a string of low budgeters lately:

An American Crime - good
                            I've Loved You So Long - very good
                            Rails & Ties - good
                            Synecdoche, New York - i was really tired, couldn't get into it, didn't finish, didn't like
                            Happy-Go-Lucky - okay. she got on my nerves much of the time
                            Rachel Getting Married - good

Comment

• Changling=Very good flick! John Malkovich turns in a really good performance. As does Geoff Pierson

Fireproof=Good flick. It's got a heavy religious message/slant to it but a worthwhile movie. Kirk Cameron does some excellent acting.

Chuck & Larry=Goofy, somewhat funny flick. If you like Sandler or Kevin James, you'll like it.

Comment

• Anyone seen Son of Ranbow? I saw the previews and thought it looked good.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X