No announcement yet.

Movies - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched an excellent doc called "White Light, Black Rain" directed by Steven Okazaki about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as related by the survivors. One thing that struck me was the similarity in editorial structure to Alain Resnais' incredible "Night and Fog," which was about the holocaust. Both films begin in a dispassionately innocuous fashion, engaging the intellect and slowly ramping up the emotional content to a climactic horror of imagery.

While Resnais doesn't interview survivors, the almost pastoral shots of the camps today set against the stills and film of the past provide a strong contrast. The shots from the past slowly increase in respect to graphic intensity as the film progresses in a deliberately measured manner. I found myself wondering if Okazaki didn't study Resnais technique and borrowed from both Night and Fog as well as Hiroshima, Mon Amour.

White Light, Black Rain holds the same, emotional arc for the viewer. Shots of modern Hiroshima and Nagasaki and interviews with survivors start the film. There's some stock footage of the post-attack damage, but they're the typical shots which are suitable for all audiences. Indeed, much of the footage comes from News on the March style newsreels.
    The flick really hits home when it jumps to the day of the attack which begins with interviews of some of the individuals who were involved both in the Manhattan Project and select members of the crews who were involved in the bombing. These interviews provide a very short, transitional sequence before the stock footage of the bombings are shown. We've all seen this stock footage in the past and usually we view historical footage with a certain insulated, intellectual detachment. Coming so quickly on the heels of the interviews with the survivors, I felt myself viewing these shots with abject horror and I was experiencing the footage in totality for the first time because I was so emotionally involved with the people I'd met in the first 20 minutes of the film. They were under that hellish, pillar of fire. One woman was three blocks from ground zero. It provided a poignant epiphany and I don't think I'll ever be able to view that footage the same way again.

The aftermath is then explored more deeply after this sequence and these sequences are not for the faint of heart. Both stills and film footage documenting the injuries of the survivors, the carnage and corpses, sparing the viewer no details, is extremely difficult to watch. More so, because many of the shots are literally of the very survivors being interviewed. The U.S. Army comprehensively documented the effects of the bombings and the physiological effects on the survivors.
    But this isn't the most painful part of the documentary. That would be reserved for the anguish the survivors feel when they talk of the deaths of their families that day and even more poignant, the amount of guilt they feel over the fact they survived.

This is a very moving film and I highly recommend it as required viewing for everyone to give them a sense of the reality of nuclear weapons.

Comment

• I'll check it out
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Super Bad is coming out tomorrow!!!!!!!!
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I thought shooter was good for what it was...
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• King Arthur was not good. Not terrible maybe, but certainly not good. I did forget about Tears of the Sun, which was a solid flick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
              King Arthur was not good. Not terrible maybe, but certainly not good. I did forget about Tears of the Sun, which was a solid flick.
              I would strongly disagree with you about King Arthur, I thought it was great. Although I might not be the best movie critic, being that I'm easy to please. The only movie I have seen recently that I hated was Premonition (really really bad).

Comment

• Darn. Premonition is in my queue. I thought Shooter was just alright too. I don't think Mark Wahlberg is a good actor. He has no range. He only does angry fairly well.

Nice review Zilla. I believe that documentary is currently showing on HBO, no? If it is, I'll look for it.
                "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• Saw Transformers finally. It was a Michael Bay movie through and through. Honestly, there were scenes in that movie that could have been clipped straight from The Rock, Armaggedon or The Island and nobody would have known the difference. I also think he uses the exact same soundtrack for all his films during the action sequences.

The special effects were awesom though. Especially Megan Fox.

Comment

• OHHHHHHH Megan Fox!!!! MMmmmmmmmm
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I saw The Darwin Awards last night and really liked it. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was and choc full o' talented actors.

Comment

• SuperBad was ok
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Saw Who the Fuck is Jackson Pollock?, a fascinating documentary about a woman named Teri Horton who buys a painting for 5 bucks at a thrift store and it turns out to possibly be a Jackson Pollock painting.

The film details her interactions with the art world in an attempt to get the painting authenticated. The pretentiousness of the art world was amusing to me. Anyway, she hired a forensic expert who found a fingerprint on the back of the painting that matched a fingerprint on a paint can from Pollock's art studio which was left intact after his death and from 2 other authenticated Pollock paintings.

Despite that and other forensic evidence, the art world still does not believe the painting to be authentic. Although Teri Horton, a retired truck driver, has been offered $9 million, she will not sell until she gets an offer closer to it's projected price of $50 million if it is indeed a true Jackson Pollock painting.

Comment

• Shoot 'Em Up is even dopier than you think it's going to be... if you want to see good talent slumming in an action flick, I think I'd go with Smokin' Aces instead.
                            "We like to work for everything. That's what people in Michigan do."
                            2012 Adopt-A-Lion Nate Burleson

Comment

• Originally posted by romster View Post
                              Saw Who the Fuck is Jackson Pollock?, a fascinating documentary about a woman named Teri Horton who buys a painting for 5 bucks at a thrift store and it turns out to possibly be a Jackson Pollock painting.

The film details her interactions with the art world in an attempt to get the painting authenticated. The pretentiousness of the art world was amusing to me. Anyway, she hired a forensic expert who found a fingerprint on the back of the painting that matched a fingerprint on a paint can from Pollock's art studio which was left intact after his death and from 2 other authenticated Pollock paintings.

Despite that and other forensic evidence, the art world still does not believe the painting to be authentic. Although Teri Horton, a retired truck driver, has been offered $9 million, she will not sell until she gets an offer closer to it's projected price of $50 million if it is indeed a true Jackson Pollock painting.
                              WOW!! That's awesome. I think I'll check that out.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by calijawn View Post
                                Shoot 'Em Up is even dopier than you think it's going to be... if you want to see good talent slumming in an action flick, I think I'd go with Smokin' Aces instead.
                                I didnt like Smikin Aces that much.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X