Movies - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    I feel the celebrity roast jokes at the Oscars should be avoided by the hosts or presenters. They either don't land or the audience cringes at them.
    When did it all start ? Did Gervais take it to another level?

edit to add: Never watch the oscars. Only see the controversies.
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

When did it all start ? Did Gervais take it to another level?

edit to add: Never watch the oscars. Only see the controversies.
      It’s been around a while….when I was a kid I remember Sammy and Dean giving people the business.

I think people’s sensibilities and thickness of their skin has changed more than the show.

Comment

• Who?
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

I feel the celebrity roast jokes at the Oscars should be avoided by the hosts or presenters. They either don't land or the audience cringes at them.
          Agree. It feels like the drunk boss in front of the office at the Christmas party trying to be funny.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Back when people were crossing the Rockies in prairie schooners..and prohibition was in full-swing…. there were these two guys called Sammie Davis Jr. and Dean Martin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post

It’s been around a while….when I was a kid I remember Sammy and Dean giving people the business.

I think people’s sensibilities and thickness of their skin has changed more than the show.
              This all day long.

Its always been a thing with the presenters giving people the business but i think now a lot take it to a different level as well. Still people can’t take jokes anymore.

I wouldn’t ever take away Fresh Prince’s right to stick up for his wife but I wish he would have done it off camera
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I remember that one time when Charlie V went nuclear going after Garnett for calling him a cancer patient because of his alopecia. Sometimes people make jokes not knowing the whole situation.

Like I said before, making fun of some of the stars in attendance is a time honored to tradition at the Oscars, but I don't think it adds much value. It's one thing if Ricky Gervais is doing it at the Globes because that is his bit, people are tuning in just to see that. He's probably the sole person that can pull it off. Johnny Carson was excellent at it, but he found a funny thing to needle someone about.

Comment

• Garnett was a crazy shit talker though so that’s not surprising. The sad part of KG is when his skills were diminishing he was resorting to Bad Boys era of almost always trying to start fights.

He was so good when he came out of HS to the pros tho. He, Kobe and LBJ were something remarkable making that kind of jump from being in HS to dealing with grown ass men.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I'm glad Smith finally issued an apology to Chris Rock. If you look at the jokes Rock has done about Will and Jada over the years, I could see how that might build to a blow up but violence can't be the answer to a comedian's jabs. And, I am curious how Jada feels about all of this. Is she pissed that the entire world is talking about her bald head now? Or is she happy about the exposure and maybe drawing new awareness to her condition?

I also have a question for our African American friends. Many of the AA women I've known wear a wig/weave anyways. Why is alopecia so different in Jada's case? Why is she so sensitive about it and not just wearing a wig? I'm sure I'm coming from a place of ignorance here, just trying to understand.
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                      Is she pissed that the entire world is talking about her bald head now?
                      Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

I also have a question for our African American friends. Many of the AA women I've known wear a wig/weave anyways. Why is alopecia so different in Jada's case? Why is she so sensitive about it and not just wearing a wig? I'm sure I'm coming from a place of ignorance here, just trying to understand.
                        The whole thing was staged (like everything else in Hollywood) so perhaps it was to raise awareness about alopecia.
                        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I don't think it was staged at all.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

I remember that one time when Charlie V went nuclear going after Garnett for calling him a cancer patient because of his alopecia. Sometimes people make jokes not knowing the whole situation.

Like I said before, making fun of some of the stars in attendance is a time honored to tradition at the Oscars, but I don't think it adds much value. It's one thing if Ricky Gervais is doing it at the Globes because that is his bit, people are tuning in just to see that. He's probably the sole person that can pull it off. Johnny Carson was excellent at it, but he found a funny thing to needle someone about.
                            This whole thing is like:

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                              Garnett was a crazy shit talker though so that’s not surprising. The sad part of KG is when his skills were diminishing he was resorting to Bad Boys era of almost always trying to start fights.

He was so good when he came out of HS to the pros tho. He, Kobe and LBJ were something remarkable making that kind of jump from being in HS to dealing with grown ass men.
                              I got those rookie cards if you want to buy one

Comment

I'm glad Smith finally issued an apology to Chris Rock. If you look at the jokes Rock has done about Will and Jada over the years, I could see how that might build to a blow up but violence can't be the answer to a comedian's jabs. And, I am curious how Jada feels about all of this. Is she pissed that the entire world is talking about her bald head now? Or is she happy about the exposure and maybe drawing new awareness to her condition?

I'm guessing you haven't saw her reaction before Smith went bonkers. She looked like someone who was mentally crushed. You have to also realize that she didn't chose to lose her hair. Some women, as you know, like their hair low, or even bald. But that is their choice. I have seen her over the years with a short hair style or three, but never bald.

All AA women are overly sensitive about their hair. Unless they wear an overly obvious style (like Patti Labelle) it is best to steer away and don't even think about touching it. AA women spend Billions on their hair yearly. Most see a part of their self worth in their appearance with their hair being one of the most important. For reference, I have not touched my wife's hair in decades. Even when she wears braids. If you don't believe me, try to have a conversation about their hair

Truthfully, I don't think we understand how deeply losing her hair has hurt her. But it definitely has and I don't think it's our business to say she should feel whatever way about it. For instance, I have kids (well they're grown now) and we have dogs. I know some people feel as strongly about their dogs and even treat them like their children. I have never felt like that, but I understand some people may feel that way. Who the heck am I to pass judgement there? That's how I feel about Jada and her disease.

Will's reaction to go all "Bad Boys" on Rock was a low moment for him. Especially from a guy who has been pretty milk his whole life. I'm 100% sure if they could roll everything back to that time, Rock would have went in another direction and Will would have handled it differently.

I would have calmly left after gathering my wife. That would have sent the best message. BTW, I have heard his apology(s) and maybe I missed it, but, he hasn't apologized to Rock. I don't think this is over.

They do have history though. When Will, Jada and a lot of AA actors and actresses were boycotting (I think it was the Oscars) Rock said some things and ignored everyone to present an award at the event. So she probably already didn't care for Rock.

Imagine DWT on a stage and then he starts making jokes about your husband/wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X