No announcement yet.

Movies - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn't a fan of "Justice League." DC needs to get their shit together because ...

"Avengers: Infinity War" - Spoilers, don't read until seeing:
    Holy f***ing shit. Russo brothers did it again. Need to see it again, but on first viewing, incredible. The ending felt like watching Empire Strikes Back. Thanos might be my favorite MCU villain.
    Love it 10/10.
    Last edited by Cody_Russell; April 27, 2018, 04:12 PM. Reason: Removing the potential spoiler
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Good edit. I completely agree with you it absolutely everything I wanted from the movie and more.
      Last edited by Topweasel; April 27, 2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
        I fell asleep watching Justice League last night, but the first half (I think) that I saw was pretty terrible. A discombobulated mess with a terrible CGI villain. I'll try to slog through the rest tonight. They really need to take these movies out of Zack Snyder's hands.

Update: the 2nd half was just as bad. What a mess of a movie.
        Snyder is bad, man.

His hyper macho Schtick is already worn.

Comment

• Yeah, Infinity War was pretty great. Thanos was actually nuanced and developed as a character and they somehow made a movie with so many people involved not seem completely overstuffed. The choreography of the battle scenes is incredible too. And hey, guess what, most of them are done in broad daylight, not some dark, confusing mish mash where you can't tell what the hell is going on half the time.

Comment

• Agreed.
            Infinity War set the record for largest box office opening weekend ever. $250 million domestic domestically. Well deserved.

SPOILER in white text:
            The scene when Thor entered Wakanda and blasted a huge part of Thanos’ army with lightning is one of, if not, the most badass/ epic moments I’ve ever seen. That + Captain America’s entrance received a lot of cheers at my showing.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
              Yeah, Infinity War was pretty great. Thanos was actually nuanced and developed as a character and they somehow made a movie with so many people involved not seem completely overstuffed. The choreography of the battle scenes is incredible too. And hey, guess what, most of them are done in broad daylight, not some dark, confusing mish mash where you can't tell what the hell is going on half the time.
              Really? I liked it but there was just so much going on. Way too many moving parts for one movie.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• My only complaint (looking at the movie as what it is) is really:

If Thanos is this great and sophisticated villain, his motives should appeal/conflict to at least ONE protagonist. There are only fifty of them, none of them paused and asked:

Hm. Thanos is sort of rational. Is he on to something?

The rebuke to this might be:

No, because it was totally fabricated. The universe wasn't crowded.

But, that is either a failure of script or a failure of villain. He isn't chaotic -- that's what makes him such a great villain. His motives have to be rooted in something and that wasn't really ever reflected in the film (there is no sense of over population/famine/etc. etc.)

Another possible rebuke:

All of these heroes are too pure (good) to even consider Thanos' motives reasonable. Or, rather, they all adhere to the principle set by... Cpt America?... In his conversation/moral dilemma with Vision. Essentially the "we're not sacrificing anyone any ratio". But, that would be way too boring... and actually far out of character for at least a couple Avengers (this is sort of emphasized in the Iron Man/Strange/Spider man sub-plot... But, not nearly compelling, imo).

Other than that, it was definitely entertaining to watch.

TL;DR:

Thanos isn't a chaotic villain. That's what makes him compelling. Thus, the films need to reflect at least some reality that would support his motives and present some level of pause for protagonists.

Comment

• Originally posted by millenwasmyfavorite View Post
                  My only complaint (looking at the movie as what it is) is really:

If Thanos is this great and sophisticated villain, his motives should appeal/conflict to at least ONE protagonist. There are only fifty of them, none of them paused and asked:

Hm. Thanos is sort of rational. Is he on to something?

The rebuke to this might be:

No, because it was totally fabricated. The universe wasn't crowded.

But, that is either a failure of script or a failure of villain. He isn't chaotic -- that's what makes him such a great villain. His motives have to be rooted in something and that wasn't really ever reflected in the film (there is no sense of over population/famine/etc. etc.)

Another possible rebuke:

All of these heroes are too pure (good) to even consider Thanos' motives reasonable. Or, rather, they all adhere to the principle set by... Cpt America?... In his conversation/moral dilemma with Vision. Essentially the "we're not sacrificing anyone any ratio". But, that would be way too boring... and actually far out of character for at least a couple Avengers (this is sort of emphasized in the Iron Man/Strange/Spider man sub-plot... But, not nearly compelling, imo).

Other than that, it was definitely entertaining to watch.

TL;DR:

Thanos isn't a chaotic villain. That's what makes him compelling. Thus, the films need to reflect at least some reality that would support his motives and present some level of pause for protagonists.
                  What if we decided that to be strong we needed to bring out the best of our genetics. To do so we should limit people's of substandard genetics ability to breed? Thano's solution wasn't reasonable, his reasoning questionable, but there is enough rationalization to be understandable. That doesn't mean a rational and moral person shouldn't be able to see through it. No solution that requires killing trillions of sentient lives is a solution. No killing of an innocent and good person is acceptable to prevent a possible battle even genocide. It's pretty easy math.

There is was a pause when dealing with Vision's stone. But the point was they were as apposed to the idea of determining who dies to beat Thanks as Thanks believed that his conviction was right. That's the point, Thanos is the inverse of each and every member battling him. Someone sacrificing themselves in combat isn't the same as killing one of their own so the rest would survive.

Comment

• I think you misinterpret/miss my point.

I'm not arguing that Thanos is a good villain cause I find him personally compelling. You just parsed out the subtext of the allegory as if trying to convince me his plan is evil.

If the point of the movie is to show that the collective are ethically infallible/uncompromising then what is the point of a complex villain. There is none. His motives/rationalization are just facade. Gamorrah dying is literally just ham-up. Aren't comics good because protagonists often experience crisis of moral faith/compass? Aren't the best movies/books great for the same reason? Antagonists are a great driver for this -- they did everything in terms of that with Thanos except pull the trigger

Comment

• I'm surprised there's not much talk about the Han Solo movie. Has anyone watched it yet?
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I haven't.

Seems like it got skewered for MEDIOCRITY

Comment

• That?s pretty much what I?ve read too. How terrible is that?
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I have not seen it, but, FWIW, my daughter, who is a pretty big Star Wars fan, didn't like it much. She said it just wasn't a very good move. Said it seemed as if they were trying too hard.
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• How do you f up such an epic movie idea? There's so many possibilities that they could do with Han. Luke and Vader drove the originals but Han Solo made it cool and witty. Messing up that movie is on par with the disaster of GI Joe. How do you screw something up that could be so cool
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X