No announcement yet.

Movies - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That confirms what I thought "Ghost in the Shell" would be. Such a shame as the anime is amazing. It's just one of those things they can't replicate with real actors/places.
    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by millenwasmyfavorite View Post

Saw ghost in shell in theater. Worst movie I've paid for since Wicker Man Redeux with nic Cage. Lame.
      The previews look terrible. Thanks for saving me the time.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Saw ghost in shell in theater. Worst movie I've paid for since Wicker Man Redeux with nic Cage. Lame.
        Thanks for the heads up.
        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
          That confirms what I thought "Ghost in the Shell" would be. Such a shame as the anime is amazing. It's just one of those things they can't replicate with real actors/places.
          Truly.

Honestly, I don't think the fault is in the real-action portrayal.

They just need real directors to do it.

But definitely, even putting all the lost nuance aside:

1. Only hitting one aspect of biomech theme (superior beings), then casting Scarlet... Then really emphasizing her connecting with bio-mother... Then bio-mother being one of two arguably Japanese actors in movie. Awkward.

2. Act 3 has the spiderbot. It has a close-range, single target, melee weapon. A tank has a.. Nevermind. Cannot be said enough for it to make it make sense

I was going to make a list. But I can't. Waste.

Comment

Watched sicario and Deus Machina... playing catch up. Both stellar.

"Ex Machina" ... best movie of 2015.
            "Sicario" ... directed by the hottest/best? director. Pumping out great movie one after another.

Great choices.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
              "Ex Machina" ... best movie of 2015.
              "Sicario" ... directed by the hottest/best? director. Pumping out great movie one after another.

Great choices.
              Ya, I think him and Inarritu are pretty neck and neck right now

Comment

Truly.

1. Only hitting one aspect of biomech theme (superior beings), then casting Scarlet... Then really emphasizing her connecting with bio-mother... Then bio-mother being one of two arguably Japanese actors in movie. Awkward.

2. Act 3 has the spiderbot. It has a close-range, single target, melee weapon. A tank has a.. Nevermind. Cannot be said enough for it to make it make sense

I had some spare time on my hands so I went to watch. It had a terrible cast. Besides SJH there wasn't anyone in the movie that was memorable. The spiderbot made me laugh because I remembered that from your rant.

It wasn't worse than Rollerball or Anchorman 2 but it was pretty bad.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Wicker Man and Ghostrider was terrible as well
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Nic Cage wickerman is so terrible it cannot be restated enough. He punches a woman in a bear costume. He screams his dying breaths with things you'd hear at the end of a protracted divorce. While burning alive. After having his legs broke or whatever it was.

Ya spider bot was the cringe inducing cherry. I don't think I touched on the stupidity/anachronism that is the "directly involved evil doer CEO" -- and all his dialogue was ducking unbelievable. And he is straight murdering his employees with NCIS one liners. Good god. Why did I log into this thread again. Michael Pitt's character is supposed to symbolize so much more than some whiny cyber bitch WITH FUCKING TATTOOS.

I can't remember if it was in the anime, but the interrogation scene needed to amended. WE HAVE BLACK SITES FOR THE PURPOSE OF OPAQUE INFORMATION EXTRACTION AND THE VERY CELL CREATED TO FACILITATE SAID INTERROGATIONS HAS A SECURITY CLMPONENT WHICH WILL AID IN THE SUICIDE OF THE PRISONER. Oh my god, the list is ever expanding.

Comment

• Wow is Suicide Squad terrible. I honestly haven't even finished it yet because it was so bad I turned it off to watch something else. I was pretty rough on Dawn of Justice, but it's nowhere near as bad as SS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                        Wow is Suicide Squad terrible. I honestly haven't even finished it yet because it was so bad I turned it off to watch something else. I was pretty rough on Dawn of Justice, but it's nowhere near as bad as SS.
                        lol yup. Couldn't finish it too.
                        Such a shame because the first trailer looked so amazing. I'm afraid the studio interfered too much like what happened with Fantastic 4

This trailer. LIES.
                        [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04"]Suicide Squad Comic-Con Trailer (2016) - Jared Leto, Will Smith - DC Comics Movie - YouTube[/ame]
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Truly.

It is the whole Scarjo awkwardness was on purpose. It's one of those things where I think people overanalyze one portion and not look at the bigger picture.

She was a good pick if you believe like some of the creators did with the Animes that Major was racially ambiguous. The manufacturer in the manga was always European. Major being a Barbie Doll westerner in looks while having an Asian brain and being a cyborg is supposed to make Major as alien and distant in her mind as possible even with her squad.

That said I don't like the whole you got my daughters eyes of it. That stuff never sits well with me. But Major with an Asian mother is supposed to feel weird.

Also I don't have that many issues with her portrayal it comes off a bit hollow. I don't think she really owned Major. Was kind of luke warm with the movie as a whole. Maybe 6 out of 10.

Comment

• But the ambiguity wasn't achieved, that is the issue. The awkwardness wasn't the viewer (me) mesmerized by Scarjo as a different kind of being.

It isn't overanalyzed. It was poor execution of an already delicate issue.

Comment

• Suicide Squad looked amazing.. like Cody said

Lies!
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

But the ambiguity wasn't achieved, that is the issue. The awkwardness wasn't the viewer (me) mesmerized by Scarjo as a different kind of being.

It isn't overanalyzed. It was poor execution of an already delicate issue.
                                Wasn't talking about you just people in general. Ghost was always going to struggle because the media made the "whitewashing" an issue. But it actually was the right decision, maybe not with her in particular but the choice of how to portray the character.

But I could have named a dozen better suited actresses to play the part. She is a better actress than most give her credit, but she never was going to have the inflection and facial control to sell Major. That caused her to play Major like Robotcop.

Comment

Working...
                                X