Movies - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
    Mad Max is getting some crazy praise in initial reviews. Probably seeing that tomorrow. With Jurassic world next month, and Avengers 2 weeks ago this might be, becoming one of the better movie summers in awhile. I might not even care if Terminator bombs.
    I hope Terminator doesn't bomb because I want to see it.
    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
      "Ant-Man" might be the first Marvel film to bomb since before "Iron Man."
      Director choice + other factors have me thinking it's going to struggle.
      Possible but I don't think so. Outside the disappointment of kicking Wright out of the D seat it has the same vibes as guardians. I think it will do well. At least the level of Thor 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
        I hope Terminator doesn't bomb because I want to see it.
        It is just my guess out of the big ones coming out. It might be great but time travel stories are hard on viewers minds. This one will be even more so.

It also has a bit of past failures to make up for. The marketing hasn't really told us that they fixed anything they didn't like about T3 and T4. I doubt it will have a great opening. If its good it will not drop off as much week to week as word of mouth, or text, spreads. But it has the hardest road ahead of itself.

Comment

Possible but I don't think so. Outside the disappointment of kicking Wright out of the D seat it has the same vibes as guardians. I think it will do well. At least the level of Thor 2.
          Very similar to Guardians right now, but I thought it was a surprise to a lot of people that Guardians was that good? From a lot of articles I read months before Guardians came out, people thought it would be Marvel's first flop... like this: http://io9.com/why-guardians-of-the-...-fl-1516575377
          But yes, similar as in that "goofy, different super hero story" that isn't directly related to the Avengers.

Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) would have been my preference .... Much more than Reed (Yes, Man ... Bring it On).
          Based on the director's past movies, I just worry the quality of "Ant-Man" won't be that good. Like expected IMDB rating at 6.0 to 6.5 with 40-60% rotten tomatoes.
          As for box office? I'm sure it will do fine... and hey, if the quality of the film is as good as Guardians, I would think it will make $150 million+.
          James Gunn and Nicole Perlman really came out of no where to write an amazing script with Guardians IMO. What did Gunn do before, write "Scooby Doo?" My parents hated that movie when they had to take me to it as a kid.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• That's my point. GotG was written off for the first 2 years of development. Projected it to be Marvels first big flop. Then the trailers hit and people kept an eye out for information. Then it became a runaway success.

Now behind the scenes isn't as rosy as one would want. But from what I have scene from the trailers not only does the style seem to match up with GotG and the movie looks like it could tons of fun. It has been since GotG came out replaced it as their first flop. I think it will happen again.

As for Scooby Do that was serious shit. But I am not going to assume a writer can't get better in almost a decade. Or that there wasn't other reasons besides it being a live action Scooby Do movie, that caused it to be crap. Even the script on a movie like that was probably overly constrained by ratings, using the cartoon lines, and corporate oversight.

Comment

Mad Max is getting some crazy praise in initial reviews. Probably seeing that tomorrow. With Jurassic world next month, and Avengers 2 weeks ago this might be, becoming one of the better movie summers in awhile. I might not even care if Terminator bombs.
              I can't wait to see Mad Max. It looks awesome
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Yeah, Mad Max looks really good.
                2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• 8.9 IMDB rating and 98% rotten tomatoes?! Yea I'm going to see Mad Max soon.
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Saw it. Purest action movie ever. Pretty sweet and empty of lulls every pause in action is a needed break to allow viewers to regain their bearings. As an action movie I would rate it higher than Avengers 2. The plot doesn't have a lot of room to grow. But you don't feel like you are missing something because of it. Honestly I am hoping for more of this Max. It was fantastic.

Comment

Saw it. Purest action movie ever. Pretty sweet and empty of lulls every pause in action is a needed break to allow viewers to regain their bearings. As an action movie I would rate it higher than Avengers 2. The plot doesn't have a lot of room to grow. But you don't feel like you are missing something because of it. Honestly I am hoping for more of this Max. It was fantastic.
                      Can't wait now... I had no intentions of seeing it until I saw the reviews and of course heard it was good from a lot of people.

Avengers 2 had some amazing action scenes, so I can't wait to see what Mad Max does.

Really, there have been a lot of good action scenes in movies recently. Like if anyone saw Kingsman, that obviously had one.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Kingsman was a bit flawed but very enjoyable movie.

Comment

• Watched Spy a few days ago. I wasn't expecting much and it even disappointed those expectations. I'll generally read the Variety reviews which were favorable but that movie sucked.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I hate sequels 90% of the time (The 10% include "The Avengers 2", Winter Soldier, Terminator 2, LOTR, X-Men 2 and a few others). Hollywood sucks. ... like Anchorman 2, we didn't need that crap.

139 movie sequels currently in the works
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Anchorman 2 wasn't watchable. Just a horrible horrible movie
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                                I hate sequels 90% of the time (The 10% include "The Avengers 2", Winter Soldier, Terminator 2, LOTR, X-Men 2 and a few others). Hollywood sucks. ... like Anchorman 2, we didn't need that crap.

139 movie sequels currently in the works
                                http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/seque...y-in-the-works
                                The Total Recall reboot would have been great as a stand alone movie but sucked compared to the original.
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X