No announcement yet.

Movies - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was dragged to see Oppenheimer last night and I really liked it. One of the few movies that probably can justify 3 hours. The topic was so big, it still seems like it didn't have enough time to get through the source material. I can see how people didn't like the third act, but I thought it worked.

Comment

• Loved Oppenheimer, will see it again in the theatres.

Saw Barbie over the weekend. Funny. Entertaining. Good.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        I was dragged to see Oppenheimer last night and I really liked it. One of the few movies that probably can justify 3 hours. The topic was so big, it still seems like it didn't have enough time to get through the source material. I can see how people didn't like the third act, but I thought it worked.
        The material was there and it was needed to show how they railroaded him but I was done after 2 hours. I might watch the last hour again later but I don't think I could do the whole movie again
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Lagoon58 View Post
          Saw Barbie over the weekend. Funny. Entertaining. Good.

Great cast but I'm not sure I'll watch that one. I might be wrong but it just seems like Hollywood won't let it be a feel good movie without some kind of political crap in it
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Great cast but I'm not sure I'll watch that one. I might be wrong but it just seems like Hollywood won't let it be a feel good movie without some kind of political crap in it
            LOL, anything is political to some. There's nothing there.

Comment

• I haven't seen Barbie yet, but I kind of know the details of the plot. I'm not sure you could make a story about Barbie and not have some thematic points that could construed as political. You could make some kids cartoon movie I guess, but it certainly wouldn't be cracking one billion dollars.

The movie is literally about a doll that has been around for 60 years and has had political things said about it for it's entirety.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                I haven't seen Barbie yet, but I kind of know the details of the plot. I'm not sure you could make a story about Barbie and not have some thematic points that could construed as political. You could make some kids cartoon movie I guess, but it certainly wouldn't be cracking one billion dollars.

The movie is literally about a doll that has been around for 60 years and has had political things said about it for it's entirety.
                I guess my point was, if someone were to watch that movie, I have no idea where one would get politically aggravated(as in, not wanting to watch for political reasons).

Comment

• I'm so glad someone finally brought up the Barbie movie - as one of 2 women posters, I didn't want to be the one LOL. I was never into Barbie as a kid, and my daughter wasn't either, so I had no plans to see it, but finally went last week after hearing so many good things, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is delightfully silly, but it is also smart and poignant, and the casting is absolute perfection (Ryan Gosling and Michael Cera in particular). I don't know if casting directors get awards, but they deserve one!

Someone on Twitter took quotes from conservative pundits who had their feelings hurt by Barbie and superimposed them on the movie poster (it's a hilarious thread, but I can't seem to find it now) - one of them was "A pink acid trip that feels like being slapped by lots of confusingly attractive people" which is a fantastic descriptor, IMO. The only way someone could find the movie political is if they have a distorted view of women and no sense of humor (ie. if you were insulted by Zoolander, this isn't the film for you).
                  Last edited by kayrone; August 8, 2023, 12:03 PM.
                  "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• A good movie is usually a good movie to me. Regardless of the subject.
                    The last Greta Gerwig movie that I saw in “Lady Bird” was a fantastic watch IMO. So perhaps I’ll give “Barbie” a shot when it’s on streaming service.

Planning on seeing “Oppenheimer” this weekend if people stop taking good reserved seats way ahead of time.

​​​​​…

Recently saw “The Death of Stalin” on Hulu. Pretty funny dark comedy watch. Recommended for anyone that’s into dark comedy or dry humor. I had to see it given the history of the subject.​
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Yeah, “Oppenheimer” is excellent.
                      Took a while for the third act to get going or make sense. Nolan concluded the film well and it makes you think… spooky subject. No issues with hearing dialogue. Love the Manhattan Project part of the film.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Strays is definitely at the top of my "Next to See" list. Looks bonkers, jajajaaja.

Comment

• It might be my geekiness showing through but I am excited to see Blue Beetle.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I am excited to see it too. I really like the character. With comic movie burnout though and a lesser known character I think it may flop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Lagoon58 View Post
                              Strays is definitely at the top of my "Next to See" list. Looks bonkers, jajajaaja.
                              Strays looks funny but it's probably one I'll wait to see at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
                                I am excited to see it too. I really like the character. With comic movie burnout though and a lesser known character I think it may flop.
                                Well, I saw it today with my mom. And on the good side of things Jame Gunn has already the actor playing Blue Beetle will be back as Beetle in his DCU (along with Gal Godot as Wonder Woman, John Cena as Peacemaker, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, Jason Mamoa as Aquaman or Lobo).

It's a good film, but not really a superhero movie. The focus is on Jaimie Reyes (who just graduated from college) and his family. The casting is pretty good (mostly unknowns with the exception of Susan Saradon and George Lopez). There is good chemistry between Jaimie and his love interest (played by the runner up to Supergirl Bruna Marquezine) and I would like to see them back again in a sequal (which a post credits scene provides a possibility of). It is an origin story and as such the stakes are not universe changing but I am okay with that. The film shines best as providing a critique on the current culture.

I would put this film like New Mutants film. It is a superhero film but that is not what it is really about. At its heart Blue Beetle is about family and how family shapes us. Not just the family of blood but a family of community. If there is a sequal to this movie (and I would for it to happen) I expect it to be even more mined in this vein in that.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X