No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let JD and WhoDean feel good about themselves, its been a long time since that renegade program has shown life. They had an OK season, finally got some wins against the Spartans and landed a good recruit. You got to keep on doing it. Izzo isn't going away.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      Let JD and WhoDean feel good about themselves, its been a long time since that renegade program has shown life. They had an OK season, finally got some wins against the Spartans and landed a good recruit. You got to keep on doing it. Izzo isn't going away.
      UM should feel good, it is a good day for them, but realistically, last year, Glenn Robinson III (currently 34th nationally ranked recruit) was not even ranked and had no other offers from power conferences when he signed with Belien, Stauskas was a good get, McGary sprang up big time within the last year, and has major UM ties that steered him toward Belien and his staff.

I want to see Belien get some of these guys all things equal. Kudos to Belien though for spotting the talent in some of these guys like GRIII and having the confidence to offer them early.
      The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Don't forget getting Zak Irvin (#54 rivals) & Derrick Walton (#87 rivals) to choose Michigan over spartie for 2013.

Izzo isn't going anywhere (unless he starts doing more than flirt with the NBA) but Beilein isn't going anywhere either.

I'm not saying we'll be sweeping spartie every year but I see a lot more splits coming up.

Winning team, great coaching staff (credit also goes to Bacari Alexander, Jeff Meyer & LaVall Jordan) new and updated facilities and Michigan being Michigan means we are out of the shadows of '98-'08.

I'm not sure what "all things equal" means to you. Are you discounting him for being able to see the talent in a player before any other big time school does? Discounting him for developing players much better than Amaker did? What do you mean?
        Last edited by *JD*; November 3, 2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Don't forget getting Zak Irvin (#54 rivals) & Derrick Walton (#87 rivals) to choose Michigan over spartie for 2013.

Izzo isn't going anywhere (unless he starts doing more than flirt with the NBA) but Beilein isn't going anywhere either.

I'm not saying we'll be sweeping spartie every year but I see a lot more splits coming up.

Winning team, great coaching staff (credit also goes to Bacari Alexander, Jeff Meyer & LaVall Jordan) new and updated facilities and Michigan being Michigan means we are out of the shadows of '98-'08.

I'm not sure what "all things equal" means to you. Are you discounting him for being able to see the talent in a player before any other big time school does? Discounting him for developing players much better than Amaker did? What do you mean
          All things equal means being able to make a living on the best players, usually the under the radar guys are under the radar for a reason. I give props to Beilien for having an apparent knack for finding some of these guys that are ready to break out, but if you want to really compete with OSU, MSU,Illinois,Indiana, you will have consistently outbattle them with known commoditties.
          Last edited by Deuce; November 3, 2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Friggan OSU pulls a couple top 10 players every year. Crean is out recruiting the world (literally) right now too. And then you got Wisconsin that's going to win games regardless of their recruiting ranking cause Bo the Ryan. Michigan is looking solid. Illinois is typically solid. Tom Izzo is Tom Izzo.

Could the big ten challenge the ACC for best basketball conference soon?
            Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Who is in the ACC these days?

Comment

• Basically Duke and UNC and then usually one or two or three of the other teams steps up with a solid year.
                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Well, the Big Ten will better than Big East w/o much debate, so that is cool.

Comment

• How many years in a row has he Big Ten won the Big Ten/ACC tourney?

Comment

• The big 12 is deeper but not as top heavy. And has a shaky future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                        All things equal means being able to make a living on the best players, usually the under the radar guys are under the radar for a reason. I give props to Beilien for having an apparent knack for finding some of these guys that are ready to break out, but if you want to really compete with OSU, MSU,Illinois,Indiana, you will have consistently outbattle them with known commoditties.
                        Here's the thing, Deuce- Beilein's recruiting classes have gotten better each of the last 4 years, topping out with what ESPN ranks as the #5 class, 1 spot ahead of IU and 10 spots ahead of spartie.
                        It will obviously take a dip in 2013 but not by a ton. Both Irvin & Walton are top 90 and Donnal is fairly close (#124 Rivals/ ESPN has him at #3 in Ohio) I believe Austin Hatch was top 150 but we all know about his tragedy. These may not be the cream of the crop (although Irvin seems to be close) but they are very talented and may move up a few notches before they hit A2. This is still a Top 20 class.

Also, in this day and age, having guys that may be top 100 caliber but are also guys that stay more than 1 or 2 years is close to being as important to winning as landing the 1 and done types.

How many McDonald's All-Americans did Butler have these last two years?

Beilein has shown the ability to win with "no-name" talent and I think I will really enjoy seeing what he can do with name talent. I also think as the momentum keeps building (and it obviously is building), more kids are going to want to play for him and the Wolverines.

The one knock against Beilein was that he couldn't develop a big man or that his style wasn't good for bigs. Jordan Morgan's play last year started to knock that myth down and I think Mitch will shatter it.
                        Last edited by *JD*; November 3, 2011, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                          How many years in a row has he Big Ten won the Big Ten/ACC tourney?
                          Just one, I believe.

I was semi-seriously asking who is in the ACC. It seems like many Big East teams are ready to jump ship and some might find their way to the ACC.

Comment

• Comment

• I think Beilein will be fine, but I don't see him recruiting any better than Painter. He is a system coach who will be an easy target for negative recruiting.

That is why McGary coming to AA is so cool and unexpected. A top 10 national guy won't commit very often IMO.

Comment

• Every coach has a system.

Comment

Working...
                                X