Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan play by play guy Frank Beckman calls The Fab Five "racists":

Comment

• Frank is a jerk. I speak from experience.
      I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• I have to concur with dodger on this one. Beckman is an assclown.

Comment

• I guess Frank is just picking up the mantle of the late, great Joe Falls. I remember one of Joe's columns about what a breath of fresh air Joe Frazier was next to that disgusting Cassius Clay fellow.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
            I guess Frank is just picking up the mantle of the late, great Joe Falls. I remember one of Joe's columns about what a breath of fresh air Joe Frazier was next to that disgusting Cassius Clay fellow.
            Lot's of people felt that way. An out spoken black man rubs many old timers the wrong way still to this day. It's the culture they grew up in (don't make it right though).
            Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Why exactly were the fab five racist?
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                Lot's of people felt that way. An out spoken black man rubs many old timers the wrong way still to this day. It's the culture they grew up in (don't make it right though).
                Nor does it make it right that Falls played to those people, but he was notorious for that sort of thing. Bill James once named him the local Neanderthal sports writer for his stereotyping of Lou Whitaker.

Comment

• "An out spoken black man rubs many old timers the wrong way still to this day."
                  -------------------------Surely you jest. I highly doubt they disliked him because he was an outspoken black man. MLK was an outspoken black man. Did they dislike him? The reason they disliked him was he was an outspoken "punk" kid who was a braggart and an ass. Had nothing to do with the fact he was black but the fact he was a young, pompous, arrogant ass never seen before. They believe in respecting your elders and your opponents and not being a cocky son of a bitch. If a white man did the same thing they would hold the same opinion. Has nothing to do with race but age and how a young person should act. If you want to infer they can't accept the young "black" attitude I can go along with that but it's not that they're black it's the attitude. Young white men with the same attitude would get treated the same but it would be overlooked because it's white on white. Everything has to always be about color though when it's a white person being critical of a black. My GOD we have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng fucking ways to go.

GO LIONS "11" !
                  GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                    "An out spoken black man rubs many old timers the wrong way still to this day."
                    -------------------------Surely you jest. I highly doubt they disliked him because he was an outspoken black man. MLK was an outspoken black man. Did they dislike him? The reason they disliked him was he was an outspoken "punk" kid who was a braggart and an ass. Had nothing to do with the fact he was black but the fact he was a young, pompous, arrogant ass never seen before. They believe in respecting your elders and your opponents and not being a cocky son of a bitch. If a white man did the same thing they would hold the same opinion. Has nothing to do with race but age and how a young person should act. If you want to infer they can't accept the young "black" attitude I can go along with that but it's not that they're black it's the attitude. Young white men with the same attitude would get treated the same but it would be overlooked because it's white on white. Everything has to always be about color though when it's a white person being critical of a black. My GOD we have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng fucking ways to go.

GO LIONS "11" !
                    Joe! I thought you were dead!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                      -------------------------Surely you jest. I highly doubt they disliked him because he was an outspoken black man. MLK was an outspoken black man. Did they dislike him?
                      ....I think this part shows just how out of touch you are with reality.

Here's a newsflash for you: yes, a lot of white people hated MLK. MLK made a lot of anti-government comments that drew the ire of a lot of people. he wasn't really appreciated by the nation until he was murdered, and even then there was reluctance from some white politicians (namely John McCain and Dick Cheney) decades later to recognize MLK day as a legit holiday.

They believe in respecting your elders and your opponents and not being a cocky son of a bitch.
                      "they" also believed in colored drinking fountains....

My GOD we have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng fucking ways to go.
                      finally, something we can agree on.
                      Last edited by Kstat; March 22, 2011, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Gotta disagree with Dan O as well. Maybe it didn't have EVERYTHING to do with race but it sure as hell had something to do with race.

Similar to how in recent years, John Daly is seen as a "character" but the same sort of substance abuser (say Shawn Kemp or Daryl Strawberry) has been viewed as a loser.
                        Last edited by *JD*; March 22, 2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• I still think he's a drunk and and ass. White or not.
                          Forever One!

Comment

• I don't think anybody sees him in a positive light, but he certainly gets a ton of 8th and 9th chances...

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                              Why exactly were the fab five racist?
                              They wouldn't wear white socks? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                                I don't think anybody sees him in a positive light, but he certainly gets a ton of 8th and 9th chances...
                                I'm pretty sure he's still one of the bigger draws on tour.

Comment

Working...
                                X