TV Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    IMO LOST was one of those game changers for non-premier channels. They completely raised the bar. At the time of shooting they looked like movies and not some crappy shot low budget after school special.

The problem with LOST was they really didn't know what they had. I mean literally. They didn't know the buzz was going to be as huge as it was and they didn't truly have a direction of what the show was and where it would go. They had a good idea to grab viewers but the fly by the seat of their pants writing left many holes in the stories and it showed.

Once they started with time travel I was pretty much done. It was like a shotgun blast of ideas trying to make something work. The first season was pretty epic then it was basically every other year was good until the end.
    You are completely right. I like what they did later on with Lost and didn't mind the last season / ending. But it and 24 transformed TV as we know it. It was extremely difficult to get a serial story (where previous episodes greatly impacted the next episode). You could have carry-overs and over arching plots. But the idea that people needed to watch the previous episode to keep up with the next one was a foreign idea. Carter tried hard to get X-files the room to do that but even then he was forced back into the monster of the week episodes often.

Lost suffered because they had a start and a rough idea of the end. But really they still hadn't gotten used to the idea of interconnection and continual stories and season 2 and 3 really ruined the idea of this being a truly planned out story. But it really drove home the idea of a smart continual plot with high production value's not being to much for viewers attention spans. Without it we wouldn't have GoT, TWD, or any of the Netflix shows.

Comment

• Exactly.

Another thing that I loved about LOST was they took each character and gave them their own episodes and truly developed them. It wasn't like Jack, Sawyer and Kate were running things and it was all about them. Each character had their own backstory so as the show progressed it wasn't like you had full on "leads" but each character was its own lead character in their story.

I thought that was smart
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Lost sucked
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Rewatching "The Office" for like the 4th time.... can't emphasize enough how much I love season 3. One of the best, if not, seasons for a comedy TV series.
          So many classic episodes... the brilliant dialogue in season 3. JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon (The Avengers) directed episodes. BIG names.
          Last edited by Cody_Russell; March 29, 2017, 06:30 AM. Reason: Spell check
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The Office is fantastic but I'm not sure anything can ever top Seinfeld.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• This show "Spartacus" .... I watched the first season like 7 years ago and thought it was fun.
              Going back and rewatching it + watching the other seasons... I love it haha.

Its something that should be dumb, but it's not. Fun.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Damn @
                The hodor hate.

It is so god damn tragic; his whole life a preamble loop for one fateful sacrifice.

Comment

• I don't hate Hodor. I guess I'm just a bit incredulous that all this time it was "hold the door". I expected more maybe.
                  2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Look at Mr. Fancy pants and his pretty words....

Incredulous
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbkmjctIaXI"]Hello Mr. Fancy Pants! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                        I don't hate Hodor. I guess I'm just a bit incredulous that all this time it was "hold the door". I expected more maybe.
                        Oh ya,

"hate" meaning -- you disliked the narrative as a whole. Not Hodor himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                          I don't hate Hodor. I guess I'm just a bit incredulous that all this time it was "hold the door". I expected more maybe.
                          Read this it was posted 2 years before it and was about a conversation with Martin that took place well before that.

Game of Thrones (“GOT”) is the most popular fantasy series today, and deservedly so.  I enjoy the books and am thrilled that the TV series is so well done. I am looking forward to tonig…

Comment

• That's pretty funny.

Comment

• This "Vir Das: Abroad Understanding" Netflix special is pretty freakin' funny.

Comment

• 3rd season of Catastrophe out on Amazon this weekend. I will be binging that Sat/Sun (easy with just 6 less than half hour episodes).

Comment

Working...
                                X