No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great story. Those are the kind of stories that really choke me up.

"Seems the grown ups got it too."
    ----------------------Yep.
    Last edited by DanO; June 5, 2012, 12:11 PM.
    GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Agree with the last two messages. Its always refreshing to see that kind of sportsmanship.
      Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• There never should be punishment for helping someone that needs help.

Now, faking an injury does not qualify for someone that needs help.

Some athletes will do anything to win, including fake an injury to disqualify an opponent.

Written rule needs to be interpreted by humans witnessing the event and those humans do need to apply the spirit of the rule, not necessarily the written word.

That is what happened here and it is wonderful that true sportsmanship was more important than written rules.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
          There never should be punishment for helping someone that needs help.

Now, faking an injury does not qualify for someone that needs help.

Some athletes will do anything to win, including fake an injury to disqualify an opponent.

Written rule needs to be interpreted by humans witnessing the event and those humans do need to apply the spirit of the rule, not necessarily the written word.

That is what happened here and it is wonderful that true sportsmanship was more important than written rules.
          heh...never occurred to me that someone would fake an injury to disqualify someone else. I assumed the rule was put in to stop people from collaborating and gaining an unfair advantage on their competition.

Different world views?
          "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• heh...never occurred to me that someone would fake an injury to disqualify someone else.
            You've never watched international soccer?
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
              You've never watched international soccer?
              You don't get a yellow card for helping someone.
              "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                heh...never occurred to me that someone would fake an injury to disqualify someone else. I assumed the rule was put in to stop people from collaborating and gaining an unfair advantage on their competition.

Different world views?
                Yup.
                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• You don't get a yellow card for helping someone.
                  no, but you can get them to give the other team one if you dive well.
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

no, but you can get them to give the other team one if you dive well.
                    Faking a foul, I understand. Tricking someone into helping you so that they'd be disqualified is a bit more devious.

Comment

• I was just reacting to this sentence.
                      heh...never occurred to me that someone would fake an injury to disqualify someone else.
                      It has other implications beyond the story

Comment

• Happens in hockey also, guys that get high sticked try to make it bleed so they can get an extra penalty on the opponent.
                        Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

I was just reacting to this sentence.

It has other implications beyond the story
                          Yes, it was a poorly worded sentence on my part. But the context of it was not about someone faking an injury to draw a foul, it was about faking an injury to get someone to break the "no help" rule.

I was a fan of Laimbeer in the 80's, for God's sake, I know about flopping.

Comment

• That kid is one of the good ones. The news is full of stories about kids that act like the world owes them something just because of who they are. Good for her. I like hearing about things like this.
                            AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                            2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                            3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                            4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                            5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                            6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                            7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Just got some Tickets for the Olympics: 100m qualifying heats (My sons favourite athlete is Usain Bolt) 2 events in the Heptathlon (Daughters Favourite Athlete is Jess Ennis) 4 tickets ?60.00!! Also going to the Soccer in the evening in Cardiff so a bit of a long day!
                              Last edited by DeanUK; June 8, 2012, 05:54 AM.
                              AAL Quintez Cephus
                              If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Nice Dean!
                                2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

Working...
                                X