Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    What are you talking about? You don't know the first thing about my kids or what I give them. I don't give them an allowance. I told I tried tying it to chores and it didn't work. So I don't give it to them. In plain terms they don't get stipend every week and you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
    You'll have to excuse DanO, he's all cranky because he's has to pay a court ordered allowance to his "children"*

*bitchy ex-wife
    Last edited by mason reese; November 2, 2011, 07:13 PM.
    "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• The most allowance I ever received was $50/year for working on the farm. There was work to be done and you were expected to do it without complaint. If you whined, you got smacked.

Yes, I was fed, clothed and never had to worry about dentist or doctors appts. When I asked for money it was because of school pics, lunch money on those special days (pizza) or to buy paper & pencils.

We don't ask Ben to do the things I had to do. He does get odd jobs to help us but his main job is to work as hard as he can in school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
        if you think about it...when babies are born they are given everything they need. As babies turn to toddlers, and then "kids" it's about teaching them that not everything is given to them.
        Babies learn right after birth that when they cry, they get attention. The teaching experience begins early, and there is a fine line between prodding them along and cutting the apron strings. BTW, next time your teenager tells a lie, remember what you told them about Santa Clause, ..... and the Easter Bunny, ..... and the Tooth Fairy..... :-)

Originally posted by YT View Post
        The most allowance I ever received was $50/year for working on the farm. There was work to be done and you were expected to do it without complaint. If you whined, you got smacked.

Yes, I was fed, clothed and never had to worry about dentist or doctors appts. When I asked for money it was because of school pics, lunch money on those special days (pizza) or to buy paper & pencils.

We don't ask Ben to do the things I had to do. He does get odd jobs to help us but his main job is to work as hard as he can in school.
        My Dad asked me to pay rent when I got a job at 14. I couldn't understand it at the time, but later when I wanted to but a car, he took a cashbox down from the top shelf and handed me the money he had "saved" for me. I gave him the money back and he handed me the keys to his '58 Ford. We always understood one another that way. I miss my Dad.
        "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
          My Dad asked me to pay rent when I got a job at 14. I couldn't understand it at the time, but later when I wanted to but a car, he took a cashbox down from the top shelf and handed me the money he had "saved" for me. I gave him the money back and he handed me the keys to his '58 Ford. We always understood one another that way. I miss my Dad.
          Good story Minnow! My grandfather did the same thing to my Dad at 15, then passed away after my Dad turned 16.

My Dad told me he was going to start charging me rent the day after I graduated HS. But I showed him....I did the delayed enlistment in the Air Force. My going away party was epic! I don't remember much other than getting totally drunk, crying to my Mom and getting "some" from a girl who just showed up at the party.

Comment

• My God, you could turn several of the above posts into blockbuster movies! Very emotional and deep parent talk guys....., I like it.

Tony, not so good being beaten at 4 years old. The first proper punch I received was when I was 17. Me and my dad were playing pool down the local pub at the time, it was doubles and we were holding the table for well over ten games......., then my dad intentionally lined up the 8-ball for the other guy because he wanted to sit down and enjoy his drink. I bitched about it until he eventually smacked me right in the nose. My uncle said to me, "I told you to shut up, but you wouldn't listen!" That was a reality check to chill out!!
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
              I'm sure you don't get it DanO. Because your kids are special and they know it! They aren't entitled like those other kids.

Personally I contend that the entitlement of kids started when life began to revolve around kids. When you can't get a beer at a baseball game because there were kids around, when you can't smoke because "think of the children," where every child is a blessing and no child should ever be left behind.

When kids are elevated above adults, what do you expect will happen.

That said, I, like you, have nothing to back this up.
              While I don't disagree with the sentiment...can't get a beer at a ball game? That's crazy talk.
              "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Non-Alcohol SectionsFans may purchase tickets on a first-come, first-served basis to the CVS Family Sections located in Grandstand Sections 32 and 33, which are designated alcohol-free areas. The Red Sox will strictly enforce this prohibition.
                The official website of the Boston Red Sox with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• "What are you talking about? You don't know the first thing about my kids or what I give them. I don't give them an allowance. I told I tried tying it to chores and it didn't work. So I don't give it to them. In plain terms they don't get stipend every week and you don't know what the hell you are talking about."
                  ----------------------------What I'm talking about is your choice of words. You said "don't really" give my kids an allowance. If you had said I "DON'T" give my kids an allowance then end of story. "Don't really" suggests you give them something or you wouldn't have stated it as such.
                  GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• "When kids are elevated above adults, what do you expect will happen."
                    -------------------------------------I expect exactly what's happene to happen. My contention is that the aforementioned thought process is mostly a liberal one. You think that thought process is a conservative one?

--------------------------Mostly no. Just relatives, friends and coworkers who are a mix of each and pretty much stand along those lines.
                    GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

Non-Alcohol SectionsFans may purchase tickets on a first-come, first-served basis to the CVS Family Sections located in Grandstand Sections 32 and 33, which are designated alcohol-free areas. The Red Sox will strictly enforce this prohibition. http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/bal...?content=guide

Then don't sit there, ya lush. I wouldn't want to sit around a bunch of drunk Red Sux fans kids or no kids.
                      Last edited by mason reese; November 3, 2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                        "When kids are elevated above adults, what do you expect will happen."
                        -------------------------------------I expect exactly what's happene to happen. My contention is that the aforementioned thought process is mostly a liberal one. You think that thought process is a conservative one?

--------------------------Mostly no. Just relatives, friends and coworkers who are a mix of each and pretty much stand along those lines.
                        Like I said, you have nothing to support such a wide spread sweeping statement.

And no, I don't think it's conservative or liberal. I think it's parents of all stripes. The only difference is precisely how these parents display this bias.

Dr.Laura for example is "her sons mother". If you define yourself in terms of your child, what is that child going to think of his or her
                        Importance to the world. Your mother, a multimillionaire with a nationally syndicated radio show, has a life that she professes revolves around you. He might be shocked when his boss feels differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                          Then don't sit there, ya lush. I wouldn't want to sit around a bunch of drunk Red Sux fans kids or no kids.
                          It's the designation and justification of the section as "think about the kids" that I'm addressing. thinking about the needs of kids, not adults, leads to kids thinking they are more important than they are. At least IMO.

Comment

It's the designation and justification of the section as "think about the kids" that I'm addressing. thinking about the needs of kids, not adults, leads to kids thinking they are more important than they are. At least IMO.
                            That probably explains why handicapped people are such entitled assholes, with their own parking spaces, access ramps, and toilet stalls.

Comment

The justification for this type of section is that not everyone wants to sit in the middle of a shitload of obnoxious, drunk, foul mouthed assholes.

It is sad that I want watch a game without being subjected to the kind of behavior that runs rampant in these parks (especially NFL parks) I have to sit in the "family fun zone".

If they would throw the drunk pricks out, you wouldn't need these types of sections
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                                "What are you talking about? You don't know the first thing about my kids or what I give them. I don't give them an allowance. I told I tried tying it to chores and it didn't work. So I don't give it to them. In plain terms they don't get stipend every week and you don't know what the hell you are talking about."
                                ----------------------------What I'm talking about is your choice of words. You said "don't really" give my kids an allowance. If you had said I "DON'T" give my kids an allowance then end of story. "Don't really" suggests you give them something or you wouldn't have stated it as such.

No, it suggests as I said before, I tried it with my kids and it didn't work. I can't say I don't because as I said before I tried it. And its doesn't mean in the future I won't give them an allowance unencumbered by "life lesson" chores. Right now they don't get an allowance.

Whatever, if it was poorly worded so be it. You use it to advance some weird liberal/conservative mumbo jumbo and in the process, talk shit about my kids being entitled.

Comment

Working...
                                X