Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
    For my home I would get something much smaller and only wire the necessities to it. If I didn't wire the entire house, it would be quite a bit cheaper. ( I checked into it once) 10k+ is a lot of coin...
    Back in '99 when I was adding a new addition to the house, I put in a generator. It wasn't very expensive because I pieced it together myself. First I sunk a 500 gal. underground propane tank and routed it to my fireplace in the new part of the house, and to the garage where I had a new electrical panel fed from street service. That panel feeds the garage plus the new part of the house. I put in a street disconnect switch (ensures that you are never connected to the grid while running your generator--a must for safety), and connected my generator to that panel.

When I bought the generator, I had a kit put on it that converts it to propane power. Lastly, I took the exhaust manifold from the generator to a muffler shop and had an exhaust pipe, plus muffler put on it so that I could place the generator in my garage, but route the exhaust pipe out through the wall at a point where I installed hardibacker. That way it makes very little noise, plus the engine heat helps heat the garage.

The whole setup was about $1800. Shortly after I finished all this, the closest electrical substation was rebuilt and I have used it only a couple of times in the past 11 years. Before that we were losing power at the first hint of a storm.

Comment

• Cool set up, Bim. Even though you haven't used it much it has to be nice to know it is there if you need it.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Thanks CG, yes, that part is really nice. I did what you were talking about above and only have the necessities wired to it. It will easily power the lights, two refrigerators, and a water heater. It won't handle central heat/air, but heat comes from the fireplace in an emergency.

Comment

• That is the way I would do it if I went that route. You can live without AC and it is the major load on the electrical system. I have a gas fireplace that I used to heat the house last winter. My power losses would most likely be in Hurricane season and heat wouldn't be an issue though...
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I'll pay the extra for one big enough to run my AC. The last time this happened in summer we were out for 3 days. Sleep was tough especially with a couple of people running loud gennies while the neighborhood was trying to sleep with their windows open
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I don't have air as it is Tony.

GO LIONS "11" !
              GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Tony, I can see how that would be a problem. They are noisy. I don't have real close neighbors, but I wanted as little noise as possible. Keeping the generator inside cuts down on a lot of the clatter. It is pretty quiet once I route the exhaust outside and through a muffler. If you decide to go with a bigger one, and plan to hook it up to propane, consider the gph. They like to drink that bottled gas!

Comment

• Hey, Yo swear-o Taco Bell

By CYNTHIA R. FAGEN
                  Last Updated: 12:57 PM, July 17, 2011
                  Posted: 12:20 AM, July 17, 2011

His exit strategy was strictly outside the bun.

A fed-up Taco Bell manager who had a simmering beef with his bosses got even with an F-bomb resignation beaming from the drive-in's sign.

In neon letters, the disgusted worker wrote: "I quit - Adam / f--k you," and signed it with a smiling emoticon.

Adam, a shift manager at the Depew Taco Bell/KFC outlet near Niagara Falls in upstate Erie County, claimed he had allegedly worked 22 days straight and wanted time off for the Fourth of July, a worker told WIVB-TV.

The night manager got hot under the chalupa when his bosses refused to give him a break, even though other employees were given the day off.

That's when Adam, whose last name was not released, decided to take the job and shove it on the lit-up message board.

Thursday, Adam broadcast his notice of resignation, mostly to delighted passers-by.

"This is how you should quit your job," one appreciative wag tweeted yesterday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/h...#ixzz1SPFy1k5l
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• That was brilliant. Made me think of Jennifer Aniston quitting her job in the film "Office Space"......, pure quality comedy.
                    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                      That was brilliant. Made me think of Jennifer Aniston quitting her job in the film "Office Space"......, pure quality comedy.
                      Love that movie.

Captured the .com bubble world perfectly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4B0pLDqYqI&feature=related"]‪"...does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays?'"‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
                      Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• With Coop walking me through the steps, I jailbroke my Iphone today. I downloaded an app that allows me to hook my phone to the TV. I'll be able to watch the Tigers on my television rather than my phone tonight.

Thanks, Coop!

Comment

• COOPS the sheet
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Congrats, Chief!

Way to go, Coop!!!!
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Sweet! That's awesome.
                              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-abIbjdZZM&feature"]‪Rockstar Parking.‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
                                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

Working...
                                X