• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL Pride.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
    GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Late entry for yesterday

Despite being set up for fresh water, I took out my new baitcasting reel (Abu Garcia Revo STX-HS-L, 10# test using frozen anchovies by the end of the day) and new fishing rod (Shimano Volteaus 6'6", medium, fast) for some fishing in the ocean waters around Balboa Island (Newport Beach) yesterday.

Being it was the first time I ever used a baitcasting reel, I spent a good deal of time working on fine tuning and getting to know the reel. I started about 1pm and was getting constant hits but I wasn't landing any fish.

Around 8:30pm my wife, kid and some of her family came down to the water to see why I had not been back to the house all day. I told them, "I am not leaving until I catch something on this new set-up!". So they left me alone, again.

Fast forward to 9:30pm with a full moon high above me and that's when everything changed over the next half hour.

The first fish I landed was about a 17" striped bass, then a 2nd striped bass hit and it was bit larger and definitely fatter than the first. I had about 5-7 pounds of fish in hand. I immediately landed another bass but it was only about 9" so I sent it back home. My next two casts landed 6-8" sting rays. I cut both of them loose and called it a day.

I love to fish but usually I am with others that enjoy to fish, for a few hours. I can go on forever given the chance. Seeing I was on my own time table, I gave myself all the time I needed to enjoy my 2nd day out (fished Big Bear Lake in mid August) in quite some time and I am glad I did because it absolutely made my entire day.

pands

I ran the stringer back to my SIL where the party was and had my BIL take a couple pictures of my first catch on the new gear and then I ran the fish back to the water to release them. One made it, the other did not (he had a hook stuck in his gullet). Better the ocean reclaim him as food than him ending up in a trash can where he was destined to go if I didn't put him back in the water.
      Last edited by Panoptes; September 6, 2009, 12:09 PM.
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• 12 pound salmon this morning.... going into the smoker this evening.... drooool
        If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• I'm jealous guys.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
          GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Congrats on a successful and enjoyable day of fishing Gonz!
            "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• Having a 3 day weekend really makes my day!

A recap of our activities so far....

Saturday we went to an estate auction of our boss' deceased mother. We were invited by his wife (who occasionally helps us out when we are slammed at work....believe me it does happen!).

Our boss is a very prominent member of this community and owns lots of property and businesses in and around the area. His Mother had some VERY nice stuff.

Since we couldn't afford any of that stuff, we bought a little foot stool, 2 Coleman Igloo coolers, some misc. travel and tote bags, 3 small travel humidors and a hardly used Thermos gas grill with the side burner, a rotisserrie hook-up and 7 skewers.

We got the grill for $27.50!

Our boss offered to deliver it to us and just showed up a few minutes ago to drop it off. He also bought us a brand new propane tank as the grill had been hooked-up to the natural gas line.

Comment

• Originally posted by GONZ View Post

Being it was the first time I ever used a baitcasting reel, I spent a good deal of time working on fine tuning and getting to know the reel.
                When translated means untangling birds nests out of your reel, right.

;)
                ------------
                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
                  Having a 3 day weekend really makes my day!

A recap of our activities so far....

Saturday we went to an estate auction of our boss' deceased mother. We were invited by his wife (who occasionally helps us out when we are slammed at work....believe me it does happen!).

Our boss is a very prominent member of this community and owns lots of property and businesses in and around the area. His Mother had some VERY nice stuff.

Since we couldn't afford any of that stuff, we bought a little foot stool, 2 Coleman Igloo coolers, some misc. travel and tote bags, 3 small travel humidors and a hardly used Thermos gas grill with the side burner, a rotisserrie hook-up and 7 skewers.

We got the grill for $27.50!

Our boss offered to deliver it to us and just showed up a few minutes ago to drop it off. He also bought us a brand new propane tank as the grill had been hooked-up to the natural gas line.

make sure you get the NG to LP conversion kit for that grill or you'll blow yourself up
                  "Low on the totem, till he showed 'em defiance, giant scrotum"

Comment

• I know it actually is football related, but watching the Miami/ FSU game tonight and damn, the FSU cowgirls keep on getting better every year.

/Makes my day.

Comment

• Yes but don't you think the teams are irrelevant?

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
                      GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• When I was a kid my Dad use to get football cards for me and then we would hit the training camps in our area as a summer tradition. It was a really good way to kick off the football season early and spend some time with my Dad ,he worked 2nd shift so I didnt get to see him a lot during the school year. Living where we were we had access to the Saints, Chiefs, Bears, Colts, and Viking camps and every year we would try and go to at least one of them, these little trips are probably what got me hooked on Football as much as I am.

Well my son is a year and a half old and I just got back from the card shop and picked up his first sets and boxes of packs. I stored them away so when we hit our first camp he will have some older cards for the players to sign. I am already smiling at the memories I am going to help create.
                        Last edited by Islair; September 9, 2009, 01:28 PM.
                        AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                        2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                        3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                        4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                        5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                        6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                        7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• That's a very cool tradition, Islair.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Remember how I freaked out because my 401k took such a major dive? I'm in extremely agressive funds and decided not to change anything. I've made nearly all of the money back! Rate of return is over 20%

kayrone and fcrhodes would be proud.
                            "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• Sweet!
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• way to go Rom
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X