Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THE STEE View Post
    I finally recieved all my fathers medals from his service. now working on getting the father in laws so we can put these two patriots side by side.... a man will never die -until and unless he is forgotten......
    What a great idea! Thank you for the inspiration, going to go to work on that project myself. I display the flag I got at dads funeral atop my big screen. Any ideas on where to start looking?
    "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Sharkey, see if you can find his DD214 (his discharge papers) this should list all of the awards that he earned. In addition to medals there may be infantry badges, collar devices etc, that you might want to display. There are places that sell shadow boxes for displaying this kind of stuff.

Shadow boxes are a sea-going tradition, but I'm sure that they are being used by members of other services, too

Lore of the Shadow Box
      According to some accounts of naval history and tradition, when a sailor retires and is departing the ship for the last time, it's considered bad luck for the sailor's shadow to touch land before he/she does. Thus, the sailor's shipmates would construct a sturdy box, hand-crafted of the finest materials, in which to display mementos of the sailor's accomplishments -- thereby symbolically creating a "shadow" of the sailor. The box safely contains the sailor's "shadow" until he/she is safely ashore, at which time the shadow box can be given to the sailor in a presentation ceremony.
      Historically, when a sailor would join a ship's crew, he would join that ship for his entire career. During the sailor's voyages to ports of call around the world, he would collect many trinkets, souvenirs, and reminders of his travels. Naturally, as space aboard ship was at a premium, these items tended to be small. When the sailor piped ashore for the last time, his shipmates saw to it that a special ceremonial box was constructed for him. The box would hold all the possessions that had been collected during those many voyages, a and would simultaneously symbolize the sailor's career and time aboard ship.
      Ideally, a shadow box serves not only as a reminder of achievements and accomplishments, but also as a summation, a culmination, of a career. A shadow box should enable a stranger glancing at its contents to gain a substantial understanding of the owner's past service and achievements
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Leti did a sorta shadow box in a deep wooden picture frame for my AF ribbons. Took the insert out of another frame of the same size, covered it with American Flag cloth and mounted my ribbons to it. Very nice!

Comment

• go to the NATIONAL PERSONEL RECORDS CENTER. DO A GOOGLE TO GET THE website then once there go to request personal records, will need either service number or social security number... notification took four weeks and medals took five months.. Army medals all arrived together, but the naval medals they said I could buy from a medal company.... my luck I found all my dads navel awards in a trunk but did not have his army medals---but do now..
          If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• Not exactly the same thing as war medals, but my cousin Abe was always a huge Dominik Hasek fan, and when he became a Red Wing (the first time) we got him a Wings Hasek jersey. After he got it autographed by Dom he had a shadow box specially made for it and now it hangs in his house.
            Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• I promise to try not to bring them into issue again.
              Well now don't go doing that. This is the kinda place you shouldn't have to worry about censoring yourself.

I just wish you were getting the lovin you deserve. ;)
              "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• If only there was something you could do, Rom.
                ------------
                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Heh....
                  "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• sucks don't it maltus?
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• For the first time since or eldest was born (He's now 7) Me and my OH are having a weekend away together.
                      Kid's are already at the grandparents and we'll be going in a couple of hours.

Not too far, only to Manchester but it will be nice to get away for a small time. We're off to a Northern Soul club tonight (It's called the twisted wheel and is pretty long running). Then tomorrow off for an hours introduction to cycling around a velodrome, something I've fancied doing for years.

My OH did talk about going to Barcelona with out the kids, but I couldn't bring myself to not go somewhere abroad without them!
                      AAL Quintez Cephus
                      If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Thanks for the help CGVT & STEE.
                        "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• your OH?
                          "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Other Half?
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Sounds like fun, Dean! What does "OH" mean? I figure you're referring to your wife but don't know the reference.

The velodrome thing should be exciting!
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Ah, didn't see the other posts. Other half makes sense.
                                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X