Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
    I enjoy driving in new territory. Its not a burden, plus, my kid gets to see that part of the country for the first time. The Keys are not new to my wife and I but I will gladly make that drive again because the pay off is spectacular. We routinely drive 8 hours to get to Lake Tahoe so the drive time is cake to us.

This is all assuming that there is no rain at the time. I won't drive it in the rain because it would significantly slow my roll.
    I hope for clear and sunny days for your drive then. Personally, I wouldn't necessarily want to spend the better part of 2 days of my vacation in a car driving on the Florida Highways, though the part that goes over the ocean is pretty amazing.

Comment

• If you are not spending the majority of the time in the Disney parks the drive down to Key West will be worth it, although not for the beaches. The beaches in Key West are mediocre by Florida standards. There are much better beaches on the Gulf Coast.

It has been a long time since I live there (94 or so), but a stop in Pepe's on Caroline Street for a drink with fresh squeezed juice is a must and a lunch stop at Blue Heaven would be a good idea if you can swing it. Get a Cuban sandwich and a cafe con leche at one of the smaller shops if you get a chance too
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        If you are not spending the majority of the time in the Disney parks the drive down to Key West will be worth it, although not for the beaches. The beaches in Key West are mediocre by Florida standards. There are much better beaches on the Gulf Coast.

It has been a long time since I live there (94 or so), but a stop in Pepe's on Caroline Street for a drink with fresh squeezed juice is a must and a lunch stop at Blue Heaven would be a good idea if you can swing it. Get a Cuban sandwich and a cafe con leche at one of the smaller shops if you get a chance too
        In January 2001, my wife and I spent a week anchored in Key Largo and drove to Key West 3x. We had perfect weather and we are looking forward to returning to Blue Heaven to check out the food (and the rope swing again) for sure. Of course we drank at Billy's and Sloppy Joe's, amongst a bunch of other little pubs. Key Lime pies better beware as well.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Mmmm, Key Lime pie . . .

Comment

• Yeah the beaches in Key West were underwhelming. I say you're looking at 8 hours minimum to get to Key West. From what I remember, it took about 4 hours once you left Miami, but getting through Miami takes a long time.

A guy I was working with stayed in Orlando over the weekend and he decided to try and drive to Key West to see what it was like, he drove 6 hours barely got on highway 1 and turned back. What a waste of time.

8 nights for 300 dollars is a bargain. my 4 night stays down there on a corporate discount come out to 450.

pANDs

Driving on highway 1 is pretty cool for stretches, you have the 7 mile bridge. But for the majority of the time the drive is pretty boring and there is nothing there until you hit Key West.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
              Morning, Bimmer.
              Oui! Oui!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                Key Lime pies better beware as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  Yeah the beaches in Key West were underwhelming. I say you're looking at 8 hours minimum to get to Key West. From what I remember, it took about 4 hours once you left Miami, but getting through Miami takes a long time.

A guy I was working with stayed in Orlando over the weekend and he decided to try and drive to Key West to see what it was like, he drove 6 hours barely got on highway 1 and turned back. What a waste of time.

8 nights for 300 dollars is a bargain. my 4 night stays down there on a corporate discount come out to 450.

pANDs

Driving on highway 1 is pretty cool for stretches, you have the 7 mile bridge. But for the majority of the time the drive is pretty boring and there is nothing there until you hit Key West.

Yup, not a beach resort town, rather a very unique mix of local flavor and nice weather.

I would suggest bypassing Miami on the toll roads. I was too cheap to get on the toll road and would have cost about 2 bucks to save an hours drive. (Beware in a rental car, you do not have to stop and pay, it gets automatically paid and you get billed for it, and an additional fee from the rental company for administration). My toll bill came to $6.35 (I used the toll roads going home in Florida) and was charged a $17.50 administrative fee.

But for the majority of the time the drive is pretty boring and there is nothing there until you hit Key West

I dunno. I saw a giant lobster, a giant shrimp and lots of pelicans and restrooms.
                  I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• It's been a while but we found 2 nice and quiet white sand beaches we said we would some day return to. And damn it, we're going back!

;)

Comment

• Yeah I've never used the Sun Pass willingly on the rental cars. I expense it, so the cost isn't an issue, but the charge wouldn't come on my American Express until 10 days after my trip ended. And you are supposed to get the expense report in 7 days or they start giving you a hassle especially if the earlier charges get past 30 days. So I have a system in which I keep two dollar bills and 4 quarters because the south toll road out of MCO is two stops at $1.50.

You have to watch and make sure the transponder isn't left in the on position. They'll forget sometimes to switch to the off position and you be in the unfortunate position of going through the toll booth and they won't accept your money.

The thing I didn't like about the beach at Key West is the water did not have smooth sand under it, it was coral or rock. But we went to the main beach exclusively, I had heard on the other side of the island where the campground is was a little better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                        Mmmm, Key Lime pie . . .
                        "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• But at the same time, I get spoiled by the Michigan beaches. You don't get the waves you do from the ocean, but the sand is spectacular.

Comment

• Yep!

Sounds like a great trip Gonz! I, too, love a good road trip.
                            "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Have a great trip Gonz.
                              GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• We've never visited Gulf side beaches (well, other than on Key West where you can walk from the Gulf to the Atlantic oceans) and have heard good things, so we will be checking that side of the state out as well.

Plus the Everglades, plus Miami and .......

So much to do in only about 7 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X