No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We got my son a cheap mandolin for Christmas. He never held one in his hand until yesterday...

[ame]http://youtu.be/ae4e5mNq0XI[/ame]
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Pretty good, son.

You need to bring him to the Forum Game next year.

Also, buy him a loop station.
      "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• This young lady is from my hometown. She has been playing mandolin for a while. She had a record at 10, and has been mentored by Allison Krauss since she's 11. She's played the white house, the Grand Ole Opry, and won a bunch of awards.

In her first 25 years alone, singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Sierra Hull hit more milestones than many musicians accomplish in a lifetime. Now 28-years-old, Hull released her forth full-length for Rounder: an elegantly inventive and endlessly captivating album called 25 Trips.

[ame]http://youtu.be/-2ihs2PPf8s[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/XDZ9PN5K06Q[/ame]
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• *sigh*
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
            We got my son a cheap mandolin for Christmas. He never held one in his hand until yesterday...

http://youtu.be/ae4e5mNq0XI
            I can't watch the video yet, but what a cool gift! Did he want one, or was it a surprise? And how old is he?
            "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• sorry to be a nosy Nellie, but my son is in year 2 of playing an upright bass, and I am hoping that it will lead to a storied musical experience over time. ;-)
              "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• what type of music does he play Kay?
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• He is in orchestra, so he plays what is assigned for each concert. So far he hasn't gotten so into it that he jams with his bad self or anything, but I am hoping that he catches the bug. He seems to really like playing, and he REALLY doesn't like it if anyone else touches his bass, so we shall see. His personality is such that being a loner musician would make perfect sense! A mama can hope...

Comment

• Hmmmmm.

Isn't he a bit short for a full stand up Bass?
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• ooh, he would not be happy if he heard you say that. :-) Upright basses come in 3 or 4 sizes - he's on the smallest one at the moment.

He's a little sensitive about his height right now - he was a HUGE baby (almost 11 pounds when he was born), so he was a head taller than anyone else his age until mid-elementary school, when he averaged out. Now the rest of the kids have caught up and passed him, to the point that according to him, he is the 2nd shortest kid in 7th grade. We know a growth spurt is coming eventually, as his feet are massive and I'm 5'8" and his dad is 6'1" - but it looks like it might be a while. Poor kiddo.

Comment

• Played HS with a full stand up and did not know, there were different sizes.

Comment

• His personality is such that being a loner musician would make perfect sense!
                          That would seem to point away from the bass wouldn't it? Trumpet, Sax, Clarinet, Cello, Violin, flute, hell even the piccolo would be good for a loner but bass doesn't strike me that way. I could be very wrong of course

Comment

• Yup. You are.

Bass players have an inner pulse that they go by, I have played Trumpet, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Baritone, Trombone Baritone,and Bass (Horn, not String). Not to mention percussion which I had the most fun with.

Bass players have a kind of a heartbeat ........ and know they are not the featured musician but music is not the same without them.

Viva La Bass players!

Really my favorite line in the whole score.

Comment

• My point there is the Bass players pretty much need others around. (sort of against the loner part)
                              I know they are the backbone of a band or group

Comment

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
                                I can't watch the video yet, but what a cool gift! Did he want one, or was it a surprise? And how old is he?
                                K, it was a cheap deal that came with a cheap guitar. We gave the guitar to my daughter and the mandolin to my son.

I was going to surprise them with it, but about a week before Christmas they came to me and showed me the exact same thing that I was getting on line and told me they wanted them.

My son is 16. He has been playing guitar for a few years. He is a natural, the kind of kid that can listen to a song and play along with it right away. He has a math brain and it translates into music. His first guitar teacher, an old hippy in Cape May said, "You got a guitar brain, man". He is really getting good on guitar and picked up my ukulele and was playing much better than I ever thought of withing minutes.

Of course, he isn't playing the mandolin like the kid in the videos that Tony posted, but yesterday was the first time that he ever picked up a mandolin and he is playing it pretty damn well.

And yes, I am a proud father living vicariously through my son's musical talent. ;)
                                Last edited by CGVT; December 26, 2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X